Frank Kelly Family Benefit

Lonesome Ford

inetflyer.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their support. Our family is truely grateful to everyone for their prayers & best wishes for Frank; you all helped him pull through his ordeal.

The day's events will include the raffle: grand prize is a flat screen tv. We'll also have a silent auction, moon walk for the kids, bowling tournament, spaghetti plates, hot rod display, & music. Plates will be $6 and raffle tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. If you want to bring your hot rod & show it off in the display, then bring it on! PM me 'cause we have plenty of room. Hope to cy'all there!

Jr

• 2 weeks later...

The Kellys have been major players in Texas stock car racing, and beyond Texas, for many years. Some of you younger folks may not know the Kellys personally, but their reputation for excellence, fair play and integrity is well known among those of us who have had the privilege of competing with, or against, the Kellys.

It's time for the entire Texas racing community to show the Kelly family that we care about them.

Of course, not everyone is going to be able to make it to Seguin this Saturday. For instance, here is an important Houston Motorsports Park drivers' meeting on Saturday as well. But if you can't make the benefit itself, you sure can make a donation.

Checks should be made payable to Wells Fargo Bank and mailed to Frank & Sondra Kelly, 4618 Alma Drive, San Antonio, TX 78222.

Nick

Unfortunately, I can't attend the Kelly benefit today, but I want to echo some of the remarks I've already seen on TSZ about this fine family.

The Kelly bunch sat next to us in the grandstands at SAS for many years. They are a great bunch of people.

So, if you're like me and can't go to the benefit today, please send a donation and show your support of this wonderful racing family.

CParks75: You asked "Can anyone give an update on how everything went today?"

My wife Terry and I attended. About 100 people attended, but many more probably arrived after we left.

Frank Kelly looked real good in spite of his month in a hospital about a year ago.

There were lots of blind auction items being bid.

Bill and Jackie Lay Catering Service donated a spaghetti lunch to all who bought a $6 ticket.

I was pleased to renew friendship with former TIDA Late Model drivers John Kelly, David Umscheid, Keith Riethmeyer, Don Chrudimsky and Mark Chrudimsky. Former TIDA souvenir salesman and occasional track renter for TIDA races, Sam Hill, was there with his granddaughter.

There many families as well as a contingent of Bendele's which were led by Larry's mom, Mrs. Bendele. (Debbie: They did good)

Frank Torres and a bunch of his guys attended and immediately occupied two of the pool tables.

As they say, "a good time was had by all".

Neil Upchurch

Founder and former President

Texas International Drivers Association

Thanks for sharing the information from yesterday's event, Neil. I hope it was a big success overall, and I'm happy to hear that Frank is looking well.

By the way, Larry's (my) mom wasn't there. She was with us in Pflugerville yesterday celebrating my grandson's Baptism. It must have been Larry's wife and their family who attended the benefit.

We hope Frank has a complete recovery, and I hope he knows that he can count on his racing family in the future.

Went there for a while, got there about 2 or so. Had a nice crowd. Stayed longer than I planned, but got to talk with a bunch of old racers you don't see much anymore.

As Neil stated, Flagman Bill Lay catered it, and John Kelly also made sausage wraps.

Donnie Davis was there, as was Jimmy Vaughn, Don Oatman (Oatey220 on here), Mel Krauss, Randy Borlace, the Grimes family, David Unscheid, Carl Schoener, and several others.

Frank Kelly looked good, said he is about 75 percent.

Early in the evening, they made an announcement that they had raised over $9,000 to that point, and had a few hours to go.

All in all, I think they had a very good event.

I really wanted to be there but a death in the family meant we spent the day arranging things with the funeral home. But I'm pleased that so many got the word about the benefit and that some serious money is being raised.

Nick

Don't play pool with David Umscheid for money. EVER. Don Chrudimsky either for that matter. Had a good time. Some others that were there were, Miss Mindy 29 and B Rocket, The Aramendia crew (including Keith), Homa, The Stanley crew and Greg the Rohmer. Holla.

I was really glad to have been there and helped out also the food was great just ask jason stanley :D also congrats are in order to Mr. Jody Wayne for his high score of 224 and thank you is in order to jody, joe, and homer for the bowling tips and thanks jason for putting the bumpers up for me your a pal. Also thanks to my mom for footing the bill for my games and food was alot of fun and great to know it was a success.

It was a great time indeed! Thanks to EVERYONE who had ANYTHING to do with the benefit. We all put a lot of hard work into it and it turned out great. It was great to talk with numerous racers, friends, and extended family. We had twice as many silent auction items that expected and more raffle items that planned as well and there were some great bidding wars going on LOL.

I stayed away from the pool sharks, listened to TxTom stories, rubbed elbows with local racing legends, tried to sing karaoke, and got fat(er) on spaghetti & sausage wraps...... It was (in my best Mark Martin voice) AWEsome!

Thanks again everyone!

Jr

Archived