More Speed 51 Snowball coverage

Snowball

Snowball,

Thanks for sharing the link . . . some interesting stuff to read.

I hadn't heard that Jason Young had won a special award for his "modified" Super Late Model. Here's the story and the picture that were posted on Speed51:

YOUNG’S MODIFIED SUPER LATE MODEL WINS 51’s HAL GOODSON AWARD

Hal Goodson finished the Snowball Derby a few years ago in the top-five with a car that had more duct tape covering it than body panels. Since that entertaining performance, 51 has affectionately awarded the driver finishing with the most battered and pieced together car with the “Hal Goodson Award.” The one driver finishing with the least sheet metal and possibly the most perseverance this year was Jason Young.

“Somebody told me that without the hood it looked exactly like a Modified. It’s unfortunate but we had a lot of fun this weekend. You get frustrated when something like this happens and say heck with it because you are already 15-laps down. But when you come here as a team and do this together, you cut the front-end off of it and go out there and run some laps. We picked up about ten-spots more by getting back out there. You have to work hard to keep things going and the team together.

The Speed51.com staff had Cassius Clark leading the voting for the “Hal Goodson Award” at one point in the race because of some creative repair. David Stremme gave the #8 Maine crew a hand holding the rear of the car up with a rachet-strap. Unfortunately for Clark, he was eliminated from the Goodson award after dropping out. A close second to Young was Casey Smith. Both racers drove cars that looked more like Modifieds by races end, but a little creative duct-tape work gave Young the nod.

“It looks like they duct-taped what was left of the fender to the cowl-brace so it wouldn’t flap in the wind. It looks like they did a pretty good job.

post-29-1197865818_thumb.jpg

Jason Young's #27 chases Casey Smith in a battle of Modified look-a-likes

I'm wondering if the Speed51 folks heard about the Jason Young "cookie story" here on TSZ. I had posted something about it following the Derby, and they included it at the end of their article.

Let's see, Busch said this:

“They won’t ever get my money again,” Busch told Speed51.com while the team loaded up. “I’m never coming back here again.”

That makes two trips to the Derby for Busch, and two times he has stated he is never coming back.

The first time, in 2002, after he helped to wad up a bunch of nice cars, the quote was something like; "I ain't never coming back down here again to race with these hillbillies".

Hogan voiced his concern about two "big name draws" getting thrown out. Funny, I did not see anyone at the ticket office demanding refunds..........

As you well know TXTOM. one of the loudest cheers of the Derby weekend went up when the dq of "Portopottie" Wallace was announced. Another loud cheer went up when the dq of Crybaby Busch's car, driven by Hogan in the last chance race, was announced. Every year it is something with the Wauters crewed cars. I just hope Busch sticks to his word this time and never comes back. Maybe he can help Wallace find some potties to run over somewhere else.

AKA Llamadog

I remember reading on one of the racing sites that Kyle Busch had some sort of misunderstanding with the officials at the short track in Las Vegas about a month before the Derby. From what I remember he could not get his way so he parked his SLM and left the track. This is no way for a NASCAR Cup driver to conduct himself..............Looks like people would have got the message by now. If you race at Five Flags Speedway then you had better be legal.

all i know is our little team from san antonio tx can make it through tech 3 times no problem, why cant wauters make it through once??? personally i think brooks has a soft spot in his heart for wauters, at the same time maybe if he didnt come through tech wrong EVERY time, maybe ricky wouldnt be so hard on them.

big john

I remember reading on one of the racing sites that Kyle Busch had some sort of misunderstanding with the officials at the short track in Las Vegas about a month before the Derby. From what I remember he could not get his way so he parked his SLM and left the track. This is no way for a NASCAR Cup driver to conduct himself..............Looks like people would have got the message by now. If you race at Five Flags Speedway then you had better be legal.

That deal at the Vegas bullring came down to Busch and another driver getting together. Other driver obeyed the call to the rear of the field, (All-involved rule) but Busch refused. He then parked his ride and left the place.

Just another display of that fine sportsmanship that is so prevalent in today's na$car.

There ya go, Brian France.

Speaking of Ricky and how strict he is - Doesn't he drive Tracy Goodson's modified? And Tracy's car was DQed with Benny Gordon - there you go! He is tuff - and you better have your stuff right. He didn't like Casey's front and rear windows in his car this year he told Casey he was getting a stock window sent from 5-star and Casey's better fit the template at the next race. We were at ORP and the 5-star guy came and asked Casey what the deal was and Casey told them he had no idea why Ricky was bitching the next week-end at the Blizzard tech was backed up about 20 cars they were putting a stock window on everyone's car to make sure it fit - so at least he tells you what he is going to bust you for - and he told Steven and Kyle in the drivers meeting about tolerance and what to expect. What the hell - its not like they were not warned - And speaking of Steven I wonder if the $40,000.00 he mentions includes the port-a-pottys and rental car wrecked or if that is just paying Richie and the tires and hotels and his eats and BEVERAGES ?

Archived