Starr Renews Contract With Spears For 2004

HOUSTONLM04

Starr Renews Contract With Spears For 2004: David Starr, driver of the #75 Spears Manufacturing Chevrolet in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series has renewed his contract with the Mooresville, North Carolina-based team. Spears Motorsports has fielded a truck in all but two events since the inception of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 1995. The team is owned by Wayne and Connie Spears and sponsored by Spears Manufacturing, the nation's leading manufacturer of plastic pipe-fittings and valves. "We are very pleased to announce David Starr will be returning as our driver for the 2004 season," remarked owner, Wayne Spears. "We have a great deal of confidence in his driving abilities and believe that by retaining him for the 2004 season, we are putting the team in the best possible position to win races and compete for the championship." The Spears team experienced their most successful season in 2002 with Starr behind the wheel. It was Starr's first full season in the Craftsman Truck Series. "I had a great season with the Spears team in 2002," said Starr. "We finished fifth in the points, won our first race, won two poles and were competitive all year long. This year we got off to a bad start at Daytona and then I got injured. We've had some good races this year including a couple I thought we could have won. It's been an up and down season, so I look forward to putting this season behind us and starting a new season with the Spears Motorsports team in 2004." Crew chief, Dave McCarty is also looking forward to the opportunity to prove just what kind of team Spears Motorsports is next year. "We all know we're better than the season we've had this year," said McCarty. "We had a lot of momentum coming off the 2002 season and were looking to be championship contenders this year. Call it bad luck or whatever you want, but this year is not a good reflection of what this team is capable of accomplishing. I think it will be highly advantageous for us to have Starr behind the wheel next season. The continuity will be an asset and an excellent foundation upon which to build a successful season and contend for the championship. I am confident in his driving ability and I know that he gives this team everything he's got out on that racetrack. I am looking forward to 2004 and the opportunity show what this team can do." Starr shares McCarty's enthusiasm and confidence in the Spears team, thereby making the decision to stay an easy one.

"What it comes down to is that Wayne and Connie Spears gave me my first opportunity in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and gave me the dream that I've lived for," said Starr. "They've been good to me and they give me a awesome race truck week in and week out. They give this team the best of everything we need to be winners on the racetrack. Why would I want to leave that? I love working with Dave McCarty and all the guys on our team. We've got a great team and we've got a lot of momentum going into next year. We just want to get back on top and be part of the chase for the championship. With the way the common templates are going to be next year and the new Chevrolet body style, it just makes me really excited about next year. I believe in this team and I'm excited to be driving the No. 75 Spears Manufacturing Chevrolet for the 2004 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series season, in fact, I can't wait."(Spears Motorsports PR)(10-31-2003)

Archived