PRI show off of Snowball Derby in 2004!

Snowball

:D I wanted to get the word out starting now that the PRI show in Indianapolis will be the week after the Derby next year. I know of many drivers,car owners,etc. that can not make it to the Derby because of business commitments etc. due to this blasted show. I never have understood why they put this show right on top of the biggest short track race in the country.Oh well, who knows? I know that Brandon Bendele and Doug Lege would be at the Snowball if it wasn't for the PRI show. I also know of several south florida drivers and Norhtern drivers that can not make it due to the PRI show.All in all it probably cost the Derby 10 to 15 quality cars. I know we still have between 55 and 65 every year anyway, but the more the merrier! Everyone spread the word so that Owners ,drivers and fans that are missing the Derby this year can make it over to P.cola next year! ;)

Yes, I heard about Wayne not being able to make it. The good thing is that the "King of the Florida Shortracks" himself will be there instead! Dick Anderson! I'd say thats a pretty even trade! Some of the latest commitments that aren't on the website yet include Gary St. Amant, Scott Hantz,and Casey Smith.I believe the official entries are up to about 40. Thats good considering many do not enter until late.

It's great that the PRI show won't interfere any more. Should definitely add a few racers.

This is wishful thinking, but it would also be a plus if NASCARS' banquet was put off a week.

A lot of us old-timers remember Cup and Busch guys coming down to run the derby, and there are a few there now that could add to the show.

But like I said, it is wishful thinking to think NASCAR will change it's date.

Snowball:

I saw Dickie's name on the Snowball website. I mentioned it to Wayne's wife when I spoke to her. She didn't know about Dick running. I love to watch both of them drive. Looks like I get a real treat at the Governor's Cup...they are both driving. Heading to the Governor's Cup adds about an extra 8 hours onto the drive from Texas! But it will be well worth it!

We were at Nashville and Kansas this year with Wayne and his ARCA team. My husband also went to Charlotte for the ARCA race and Wayne's first attempt at a Busch qualifying.

Sounds like this year's Snowball will still be full of top-notch drivers!

I wish everyone racing lots of LUCK! I hope everyone also has safe travels to and from the race!

The Governor's Cup is at New Smyrna Speedway in New Smyrna, FL just south of Daytona. It is the last race in the Florida Sunbelt Series Championship and the last race of the Triple Crown in that Series. Since Wayne Anderson is the points leader in the Series and he is not running the Snowball, we opted for the Governor's Cup instead. I think the first year it was run was in 1965 or there abouts and if I am not mistaken, it has been run every year since.

Winners of the event in the past include: Dickie Anderson, Wayne Anderson, Jimmy Cope, Billy Bigley, Jr., Dick Trickle, Bobby Gill, just to name a few. It is being run Nov. 22 this year.

Don't take this the wrong way because the Governers cup has a rich history ,but that race is lucky to have 30 latemodels there these days. I think it only pays about $5,000 to win also. Most of the time it is mainly Florida drivers. In the past there were drivers from everywhere,but through the years it has kinda dwindled. You must be a huge Wayne Anderson fan to drive that far and miss the Snowball Derby! Have a good time, and drive safe.

No offense taken Snowball. I am a fan but he is also a friend. I would have loved to see him in the Snowball, those were our original plans. We are mainly going to the Governor's Cup now because he is in the lead for the Sunbelt title. So even if he doesn't win the race he still wins! ;) Besides New Smyrna is a fast little track with some really good banking to it and the SLMs always put on a great show there.

Archived