Special Snowball Derby section in the Pensacola News Journal

Snowball

This is a special 20 page section in Tuesday's Pensacola new Journal. We are very fortunate that out local media gives this event SO much coverage! it's a shame that other cities don't do the same. if they did, many of the short tracks in the country wouldn't be struggling like some are!

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/specia...all/index.shtml

Snowball-

There's nothing "fortunate" (that is, "lucky") about it. That special advertising section is the result of a lot of work on the part of Five Flags over the years to make the event important and to work with local media and sponsors. They also actually benefit from being in a market area less than half that of Austin and a great deal smaller than San Antonio or Houston.

Other tracks either don't put forth the effort, particularly in the off-season, or they work their tails off, but on misdirected projects. Look at the Snowball section: Five Flags puts the focus on the drivers, who they are, what they are, their history in and out of the Snowball Derby, and why the people of Pensacola should care.

I think it was some football coach or other who said, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." Way to go, Five Flags.

It was in today's paper. Last year they had a section like this as well, and they were given away at the gate. I don't know if they plan on doing that this year or not.

As far as the other post. You are correct in many ways, but In most cities large or small, short track racing is lucky to get an article the size of a dollar bill no matter how much you try. The News Journal has always done a great job.I actually went to the library a few years back and looked through the microfilm back at the races in the late 60's and 70's.and there was alot of coverage even way back then! On Sunday of the race, there is a full page with color photos of all the drivers etc. They also started doing the countdown about 4 years ago. They actually did a 30 day countdown the first time because the track had been through a tough year with some controversy involving the leaser and the leasee. They said that they did it to give the track a boost!...........That's almost unheard of in the short track racing world! The local news station was out at the track today for about 2 hours talking to drivers etc. Even though what you say is somewhat correct, I still feel fortunate and Lucky with the coverage we get. ;)

Archived