Set your VCRs

ChuckLicata

Just in case you didn't know already...

The Winston Cup race at Atlanta has been re-scheduled for 10 a.m. tomorrow morning...

Amazing--they can re-schedule a somewhat "insignificant" race for the next day, yet the DAYTONA 500 HAS TO BE STOPPED by rain on a Sunday!

(I missed something again, didn't I?) :o

Chyck-

It has to go halfway to be an official race under NASCAR rules.

C'mon TQ, please spell my name ("Chuck") right....LOL

The other thing..yes, I know about the "halfway rule" and realize what you're saying..but given the significance and the media hoopla surrounding the Daytona 500, a lot of "non-race" fans were all complaining about (and rightfully so, in my eyes) the fact NASCAR didn't finish out the season's most popular - and significant - race.

Chuck,

Sorry about misspelling your name. My keyboard skills erode as I age. But you asked the question. NASCAR can't be right. They either irritate fans who wanted to sit in front of their TVs and watch the rest of the race; or they keep 100,000 plus who made the trek to Daytona (or any other track) sitting for hours and/or ask them to disrupt their travel and work plans and stay for another day, or go home and miss seeing the finish of an event they spent all the money and time to attend. Given the choices, calling the race after halfway seems reasonable.

Jason-

You're right in the main. NASCAR succeeds mostly because the drivers are known to the fans, and the fans care for and follow their ups and downs. It's not unlike "professional" wrestling, just without being quite so orchestrated. Except for the Craftsman Truck Series, there's less racing in NASCAR than you'd find in most short track shows.

The good news is, if we take advantage of that and promote our own local heroes, we'll have plenty of audience even on nights when NASCAR is racing on prime-time TV.

Archived