Blizzard results

Snowball

It was another great night of raing at Five Flags.

Some of this is just from memory, so if I mess up, I'm sorry!

There were several Texas drivers on hand in both divisions.

Super Latemodel

1.Casey Smith started mid pack and moved as high as 9th before being involved in a few skirmishes, ran much better in preperation for the Snowball)

2.Jason Young ran great. He was running 3rd before falling out . Not sure why)

3.Chris Davidson (didn't run as good as usual, not sure why)

4.Matt Merrell( ran mid pack, seems to be slowly getting a handle on Five Flags)

5.T Wade Welch ( Must have had problems in practice. Didn't attempt qaulifying)

6.Greg Davidson( Same as above)

Pro Latemodel

I'm sorry, but there was so much going on that I can't give you much info on the Texas guys. These are the drivers that were there.

1. Carl Smith ( First car out in a crash)

2.Stephan McCurley ( ran mid pack, not sure where finished)

3.Matt Smith( same as above)

Super latemodel (29 cars with 24 taking time, several had problems in practice)

1.Eddie Mercer

2.Grant Enfinger

3.Adam Crawford

4.Ken Mcfarland

5.Kurt Jett

Pro latemodel (27 cars with 24 taking time)

1.Brandon Carlson

2.Dennis Reno

3.Sammy McMullen

4.Ronnie Sanders

5.Jimmy Garmon

Bomber(25 cars)

1.Michael Johnson

2.Mike Kitchen

3.Pete Kitchen

From what I remember, i don't believe that either were tore up. Carl Smith did get into the turn two wall.

Pro Latemodel

1.Brandon Carlson

2.Dennis Reno Jr(DQ)

3.Sammy McMullen

4.Ronnie Sanders

5.Jimmie Garmon

6.Brandon Odom

7.Gary Sanford

8.Johanna Long

9.Logan Boyett

10.Shannon Jackson

11.Ronnie Joyner

12.Bobby Reuse

13.Matt Smith

14.Stephen McCurley

15.Hal Martin

16.Mitch Cobb

17.Shane Cheney

18.Mike Massey

19.Keith Cahela

20.Chase Oliver

21.Vance Noland

22.Greg Leachman

23.Scott Patton

24.Carl Smith

The Supers run built engines like Hamner etc that cost upwards of $30,000 or more. They also run Spec motors by different manufacturers that run around $16,000 I believe. The Pro Latemodels mainly run the crate engines which run around $6,000. Some run steal headed engines with two barrells. I'm not sure what these usually go for.. I'm sure a racer or owner on here could elaborate more on the motors and what the total costs of the cars are.

Can you tell us if Stephan McCurley and if Matt Smith came out of the race in one piece? And if you can find out the results of that class?

Thank you for the updates!!!

Both did come out with just a few scratches!!!!Both cars are brand new(Stefans got finished at 3 o'clock thursday morning)The plans were to leave wednesday night at 6 so we could slide through the Florida weigh station in the middle of the night.With that plan getting a monkey wrench thrown in it,we decided to stop at Mobile on thursday and shake the cars down and go onto 5flags that night.Being new cars we spent all our time on stupid new car problems instead of set-up and just could not find any grip at 5flags with only one practice.(that track is like driving on a wet road)All in all the team was content with the mid pack finishes considering everything.

Lucky.,

to add to what Snowball has already posted,

The SLM supers and the PLM crate cars are basically the same as far as the chassis is concerned. There are a few racers who run both classes by simply swapping the engines; Greg Davidson is an example.

The following applies to Pensacola and Mobile, and I think Opp follows them also. The rules are similar across the country.

The SLM run basically three types of engines.

1. The 9 to 1, which is allowed several options for cylinder heads, etc, but must run a 390 carburetor.

2. The steel head, which has a few more restrictions on heads, but is allowed a 750 carburetor.

Both of the above engines can be bought for about any price you can think of. I know winning teams that built their own for around $16,000 to $18,000, and I know that some other teams have paid closer to $35,000 to $40,000 for theirs.

3. The McGunnegil or Hamner spec engines. They are known as "sealed" engines, but are not the same crate engines that the PLM cars run. You will have a rev limit of 7200 or 7600 rpm, depending on which one you have. But you get the 750 carb. These engines have a price tag of around $16,000 or so. This is the engine Casey Smith runs, as well as Scott Carlson and others.

The PLM Crate engines can also run this class, although I don't know if anyone does this.

The PLM crate cars have a couple engine options.

You have a choice of engines from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

The GM 604 is probably the most common engine out there. You get it from Chevy for about $5,000.

Most racers get these rebuilt by a certified rebuilder. That will run you anywhere from minimum of $4,000 to approaching $8,000 or more depending on the rebuilder. The rebuild optimizes the engine performance by doing several machining and clearance processes that you do not get from GM.

If you run the Ford engine, you will probably get it from McGunnegil. The Ford crate engine as supplied by Ford is not that reliable. McGunnegil builds the engines from the ground up, and it is a better engine that the stock crate Ford. These can be had for a base price of around $6300 or so.

I don't know anyone running the Dodge engine.

These tracks also allow for a built engine in this class, but with a 350 2 bbl carburetor.

It varies around the country, but the weight for the SLM and PLM cars at Pensacola is 2750 pounds if you have the ABC body, 2800 if you have a different body. They also have to be a maximum of 58% left side weight. They do not allow for refueling after the race, so you have to adjust your pre race left % to make sure you are 58 or less after the race.

When you show up for the Derby in December, it is ABC only in the SLM, I think it is recommended in the PLM cars..

These rules are a little different from the ASA rules. You can go to the ASA website to compare them.

Archived