Weekly Racing in Texas

Jason

Ok guys first off let me start off by saying that if I offend anyone here then oh well but these are my opinions and beliefs.

Weekly racing/car counts/fan counts in Texas are NOWHERE what they should be. Take a look at the tracks in other states and you will see what racing should be!

If you notice most of the tracks have similar rules. Why not have Carol, Mike, and Brian sit down in a room and have them draft up common rules between the tracks? Perhaps have an end of the season championship series 3 races between the tracks and have a Texas weekly champion? This will allow guys to race multiple tracks when a track is off one weekend or maybe a track that could possible run Friday or Sunday?

If you notice, the tracks that are doing real well aren't flooded by touring series that should be weekly racing classes. If the tracks want to do well then maybe they should just say, "ok we are not going to schedule your touring series because your series directly competes with our class and we have nearly identical rules." Each track ideally should have the regular streetstock/bomber, ministock, superstock/street, and latemodel classes. Your touring series could be superlatemodel, trucks, and mods. If you build on your weekly program then you have more drivers, more fans, and more $$$ coming in to make improvements to your track.

I know many of you will disagree with me on this but if you take a look at the big picture and at the tracks in the Midwest you will see that their program isn't dominated by touring series. TSRS and TPS people I'm sure will respond about this because those are the two series that I believe should be weekly racing classes. Again these are just my opinions and if you think their dumb let me know just don't bash. :)

Jason

I'm not sure I see the connection between fans in the stands and where the cars come from on the track.. Certainly it seems that the majority of people in the stands at THS and HMP are related directly or indirectly with a team on the track. All that really means is the promotor is making it all off the back gate and only fooling themselves about how many "pure" fans they bring in the front. Personally I think the fans count has more to do with the Texas weather than anything else.. IMHO, A succesful program is one that:

A. Is short enough to hold interest but long enough to make the fans feel they got their moneys worth. That means get them on the track, run more green than yellow, keep them moving. Start later, end earlier. How many families, especially with young kids want to sit in the blazing sun for 3 -4 hours then stay 3 - 4 hours more to see the last program and drag everyone back home at midnight.

B. Runs clean, presentable late model cars. Mostly this department is well taken care of at THS, less so at SAS. If you want bombers, go to a dirt track. TPS, ARTS, TSRS and ROMCO at least have body styles that are still recognizable. Some of the streets and hobbies you can't even tell if it's a Ford or a Chevy and no one remembers what they look like anyway since the majority are 30+ year old body styles.

In all honesty, I do believe it is a weather thing. Having lived in New England for a couple of years I realize that when people only get 2 months of summer, they get SERIOUS about summer and make the most out of opportunities to get out and do things. Maybe the local tracks should take a summer break about August and not start up again until mid September..

A couple of things for 1 crew

I think that the ralationship of car count and fan count is if you don't have enough cars racing you arent going to get many fans to watch. And that is regardless of if they are pure fans or they have a relationship with the car team. The more cars, the more excitement, eventually you realise an increase in car count.

As for 30 year old cars. Are you saying my 1977 camaro that I race unsponsored, purely out of my back pocket is too ugly to be recognized for what it is? I should maybe hang 800.00 worth of sheet metal and a 600.00 paint job on it to make it presentable? Maybe I should be relegated to the dirt tracks?

I think that you underestimate the average fan. They know the difference in the car classes. They know what to expect from each class.

Remember, the lower classes in the ugly cars are for hobbyist's who want to be more than just fans, and also for driver development.

Jason, I think your ideas are great and thank you for starting this thread. I know this might get longwinded but hear it goes. I hope everyone takes this constructively and isn't offended because my love is racing and I hate to see what the state of asphalt racing is in Texas. As Jason mentioned many other tracks in the country do a very good job at balancing their weekly shows with touring events,television and state fairs etc.

Again, I believe the biggest problem for local tracks is the part time business mentality. The most successful tracks are FULL time businesses run with FULL time employees that are concentrating FULL time on making their respective businnesses and the racing community successful. Like everything else in life you get what you give.

1>) First is the track must market their class/classes to the racer. Tell the racer why he needs to come run with them. Have a compentent tech person who can explain the rules and not just say this is the way it is because I say so. Look at the economics of the area that you are trying to draw cars from. Don't build a class that you will only draw those that have large personal wealth. Build it so that a guy with a wealth of skill can compete with one that can spend money. It can be done. Again part of this formula is writing a set of rules more than just one page long and have someone that can eforce them fairly.

2.) After number 1 go out FULL time and solicite sponsors for the differnet classes so that you do not have to depend on the back gate for the purses. But you have to have number 1 before you can sell the sponsors.

3.) ADVERTISE<ADVERTISE<ADVERTISE. Its funny that when you say this word, the first thing that a promoter in Texas says is "IT COSTS TO MUCH" it costs to much not to. Advertising does not have to be, it can be as little as giving the racer a good taste in his mouth about racing at your venue, so that he has nothing but positive things to say. Thanking them occasionally for racing with you. This goes a long way. Make your events a happening, something that people will talk about and say positive things.

4>) Design your classes so that you and your fellow tracks have a constant flow of cars coming up from the bottom. This meaning that lets say a guy starts in a pure stock class.

a>) when he moves to next class he can take his motor,carb,intake etc. change cam add headers. gut the interior, take some weight out same wheel but a better tire and play with springs. and you have a feeder for the next class(same chassis as pure stock.)

b<) now move him to next class add weight jacks take out some more weight, lock the rear end same motor with roller rockers add some spoilers still same chassis as pure stock.

c>) now he is in late model class, same motor as B) new all tube chassis, after market body 10" wheels more left side weight even less total weight. but has same motor as b.)

Again the most expensive items are retained through the classes.

Zoom, I am not suggesting you go away or spend more money but as a suggestion to the track why is a 77 camaro legal and an 87 not? I'm sure that it would be easier to find donor material to keep your car looking nice if it were newer. That was an argument brought up on this forum a few months ago about finding 110 inch wheelbase cars to make into a hobby stock. You race what you race because it is what is legal and it's what you have. I respect that. If I want to build a car I'd want to start with something newer just because it is what is easier to find in the junkyard and to give it more fan appeal.

Fishracer, I agree with your basic class approach and it makes sense to have each series feed the next but how do the touring series pull from those classes? TSRS and ROMCO have generally fed from the super stock classes but I don't see enough cars there from any one region to make a weekly series for a single track. ARTS, TPS, Allison Legacy, Legend, etc. all pull from racers that have either come up through the local series or come in from something else (SCCA, etc.) and aren't interested in running a weekly show at a single track. It is a change of pace and each bring with them a different type of fan that should be adding to the local regulars, not making them decide to stay home.

Just my 02 here but I think fishracer bring's some good points to light with his comments. The motor thing is very big in our camp ,due to the fact we can't afford to spend big bucks here. Work on the handling, no problem, we can do this daily. The big picture, economy and money or the lack of.

1-crew, first off your comment about the SAS late models not being cared for, I am not sure what you mean. Last time I was at SAS their late models looked pretty good and were consistent in their looks (NASCAR rules). As for the superstocks feeding ROMCO, their isn't a superstock class in this state that has any parts that would be competitive in ROMCO, maybe TSRS but the last superstock class(stock front clip-tube rest) left standing is THR. Last years SAS street stocks were and CC doesn't even have anything like it, and SAS Latemodels are all tube chassis(NASCAR spec),conventional steering and have coil overs and Houstons(as you know since I assume you are from Houston) are Super Late Model Chassis with a crate motor.

Been thinking about what if you took a Super Late Model Chassis add a TSRS motor(including wet sump motor) and made the car weigh 2800 lbs how big of a class you think this would be. Since the Super Chassis are close to the same price as what some of the guys are spending on new Lefthanders for TSRS, they would at least have experience setting up one of these chassis before they dive in the big buck motors of super late models. But I figure at that weight these cars would probably be within .5 a second of the ROMCO front runners and be alot easier on tires. For what the payouts are why would you want to spend all that money on a motor. Also I bet there are more guys out their with these motors than guys that have competitive super late model motors. Thats where you get your growth from, using the economics of this part of the country, and build on that rather than mimic series that are a 1000 miles away.

If you want to do it according to economics take a look at CCSpeedway. The weekly racing car counts are doing well and its because the cars are EXTREMLY affordable. If someone threw in a late model class there I think their weekyl class would be nearly perfect. Well as long as those late models have racing tires instead of street tires. :P Again lets have the track owners work out a common set of rules and get the current weekly racing in Texas back up to where it should be!

Fishracer, I agree with your idea about having real latemodel chassis's instead of a stock stub chassis. They could use it if they move up.

Jason

Fishracer, I was really thinking about the hobby/street classes not the late models and when I say feeder series I am strictly thinking people - not equipment. People is what you need, not cars. For a beginning racer it is usually cheaper and better to buy a used car for the class (making a careful selection of course) than build one. When you move up, you quite frequently see the opportunities missed in the car you have and again seek to better your chances by starting over. It's great if the rules allow you to start with something decent and keep modifying it to fit the class you want to run but don't you want the opportunity to start from scratch if you can afford to?

For affordable racing it is really a hard argument to say a stock stub has any advantage. And I agree that you could make a fast competive class on wet sump (crate?) technology using a modern Late Model chassis and body.

This thread started though with an argument that weekly racing suffers from the presence of touring classes. I'm simply arguing that in present form, the weekly track series have their own problems and they shouldn't blame low car counts or low fan turnout on touring classes. As a weekly racer, it is your responsibility to make the class what you want it to be. There are good ideas here and it's great to have them expressed where everyone can view them.

Archived