New Asphalt Tracks?

KELLY83

30 lap features with mandatory cautions every 5 laps... problem solved... right?

Waco Racer:

I'm in Clifton. Is there an asphalt track in this area? The closest one I have heard of is Kyle but then again I am not involved in racing. I just like to watch :D . I would like to find out about an asphalt track close to me if there is one.

Do you run dirt? If so would you consider converting from dirt to asphalt? I wonder, how bad an asphalt track would hurt the local dirt tracks if it runs a weekly program? What do you think?

When you mentioned drawing from DFW & Austin my response referred to Thunderhill. I don't know where most of their drivers come from, I just hope that a new track wouldn't take away from there. I would pave the pasture behind my house if I thought it was the only was to get asphalt racing to this area. :P I had considered doing something with Bellmead when it was for sale, but timing and the stock market were not on my side. I have crewed for a couple of teams at HOT. One team was a Sprint Car team with a Commercial Construction company for a sponsor. They are very excited about a potential paved track coming to North Central Texas. I used to run SCCA Road Racing. I am currently prepping a Datsun for the Texas Pro Sedan Series. :( I don't think that an asphalt track would hurt the local dirt tracks, I think that it would help them. It would help put racing in the local news, which is limited at best. It could possibly reduce the number of cars at the dirt tracks, but I think that would be good for their programs because they seem to have too many classes (track goes away too much) and run too deep into the next morning. I would love to see a weekly series in Hillsboro if they keep it to 2 stock car classes and 1 modified class. I believe 3 full classes are better than 6 partial classes. What are your thoughts?

You pave your pasture and we'll be there. I grew up in South Florida. My stepdad crewed for one of Dick Anderson's racing buddies back in the late 70's. We ran tracks from Hialeah to New Smyrna, including Speedweeks. That is where my connection to Wayne Anderson comes in.

I think you are right about not hurting the dirt tracks. Once you have dirt in your veins I don't think it's that easy to clean out ;) I have been to HOT and I agree that the program runs waaayyyy too late. My hubby and I both work in Waco. If we go to HOT we have to drive back to Clifton, pick up the kids and then drive to Waco for the show. Makes for a very long night!

I think if the payouts are as high as reported, these tracks will bring in racers from farther than just our surrounding states. I haven't talked to Wayne about it but I think if he travels to Texas for the Big Shot, he will probably make appearances for some of the other events they plan too.

I am excited about this whole deal!

I didn't attend the meeting myself but I have talked with a few people who did and not one of them mentioned anything about plans for a weekly show at the proposed new tracks. In fact, the very length of the tracks goes a long way towards precluding a traditional Saturday night show.

It is my understanding that these tracks are to be built as special event venues aka TMS. To presume that the teams who will comprise the show would need to be local or even regional would be akin to questioning the logic of building TMS when there were no Winston Cup teams based in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Using that example, I would imagine that when TMS was in the planning stages someone did the math and saw that a decent return could be had on the gazillion dollars it took to build that place based on a single Cup date. Scale that down and turn the gazillion into "mere" millions, reduce the attendance and television revenues proportionately and the formula still works, just on a smaller scale. JP

JP,

So, from what you understand, Texas TracGroup is planning to build and operate "special events" tracks to host their own "special events" series. This makes more sense than building large, first-class "weekly events" tracks and hoping locals would build cars to fill the field.

This still leaves the question of where the cars would come from. It would be a slow process to build a large field of either type of car from scratch. If they plan on bringing in existing ASA and Busch teams they had better have deals all worked out with both NASCAR and ASA well in advance. I suppose both new Series could be scheduled to run on ASA and Busch off-dates.

Nick Holt

Jason,

You get better looking every time you post a new pic of yourself.

It's amazing how much we actually look alike. I have a bit more facial hair, though.

:blink:

Nick Holt

I read an article in the Lufkin Paper talking about Teague. They don't want ya to get your hopes up... that's for sure. Not very encouraging.

LufkinDailyNews.com

I still hope it works and think it can. Past is the past.

That was an interesting article to say the least. Sounds like someone has it out for Teague. That was a very one-sided story. I question the possibility of success with this black cloud hanging over the project. Unfortunately, sometimes all it takes to kill a project is a little bad PR. :(

I also believe that investors with this kind of money have their own watchdogs to look out for their interests and hope they keep a close eye on things. I would hate to see this crumble.

Archived