ROMCO OktoberFast results, 10/18/03

NickHolt

Eddie Wallace won the 125-lap ROMCO feature at San Antonio Speedway's OktoberFast.

After qualifying fourth fastest, Greg Davidson sat on the pole (due to the four-car inversion) with John Kelly outside pole. Brandon Bendele set fast time so he started outside row two next to Joe Aramendia who was second fastest. Bendele got a great start and pulled in behind Davidson who gave up the point to Kelly during the drag race to turn one at the drop of the green. So for the first couple of laps it was Kelly, Davidson, Bendele Aramendia and Eddie Wallace.

Something happened to Kelly's car very early on and he pulled into the pits giving the lead to Davidson who had Bendele all over him for the next couple of laps. But going into turn one on the 5th lap, the pair made contact as Bendele tried to squeeze under Davidson and the pair spun into the wall.. Both cars were heavily damaged on the rear but were able to continue after making short pit stops. Neither car was in contention for the remainder of the race.

So Aramendia inherited the lead and for the next 40 laps was able to stay comfortably head of Wallace Doug Hooks and Bradley Riethmeyer. But by lap 35 , Wallace started reeling him in and on lap 45 passed Aramendia for the lead. A couple of laps later Greg Davidson spun and hit the inside retaining wall in turn 2, bringing out a yellow. Aramendia pitted under the yellow, giving the lead to Wallace.

Wallace was able to pull away from Hooks by five or six car lengths while Hooks was able to do the same to Riethmeyer who in turn could distance himself from the fourth place car driven by John Heil.

With 35 laps remaining, the 41 car (driven by Eddie Butt?) blew up in a big way leaving a trail of oil the length of the back straight. The race was red-flagged for the extensive clean up.

On the restart with 25 laps to go, it was Wallace, Hooks, Riethmeyer, Chris Davidson, Mark Chrudimsky and Tuffy Hudson. Not sure how they stacked up behind the top six. And I'm not sure what happened to Heil who pitted during the caution.

Wallace never looked back and led the remaining 25 laps as the top five spread out and were unable to challenge for position for the rest of the event.

I was standing in the middle of the infield so some of what I am assuming are fact may not be. Hopefully someone who had a better view than I can correct any errors I have made and can fill in the gaps in my report.

Nick Holt

Archived