Does anyone know?

44SS

I believe it has to do with which side of the car the driver sits on and course layout. Some road courses, however, are driven counter-clockwise. Laguna Seca, Daytona, and Texas World are typically driven counter-clockwise. Most road courses that are driven counter-clockwise are located in the USA.

Most but not all run clockwise(24 hrs of Daytona doesn't)...no clue if there's a logical reason why. Maybe it's because most european cars are right hand drive. I won an afternoon of road racing one on one instruction and laps in a contest this summer. On the track, I was driving a Panoz sports car around the infield road course at TMS. It was about 2 lefts and 6 or 7 rights. It was weird sliding that car laterally across the pavement while looking to the right. You were always looking "across the dash" and it was hard to know where the edge of the pavement was.

It was a fun experience and I would recommend it.

Jay

The temporary road course at Big Spring (does anyone know if they still race there at the old airport?) was clockwise. The temporary road course in downtown San Antoinio was also clockwise.

The road course at TWS is counter-clockwise with very few right turns The two critical turns there were going into one (exiting the oval) and getting back onto the oval exiting the road course.

Nick Holt

Archived