Press Release about Charles Buxton

FOR IMMEDIATE RELASE Contact: Chuck Licata, 512.736.8230

Charles Buxton Race Preview

At Houston Motorsports Park Space City 125

Saturday, Oct. 11 (Note: This is the third of 3 Triple Crown races, and the last race of the 2003 TSRS racing season)

The Checkered Flag: Round Rock resident Charles Buxton, who runs in the Texas Super Race Series (TSRS), will run in this weekend’s TSRS race at San Antonio Speedway this Saturday. Buxton has two straight Top-10 finishes in the last two races, placing 6th at Thunder Hill Raceway two weeks ago, and 8th at Houston Motorsports Park last Saturday.

Q&A with Charles Buxton

Q: Tell us about your team's performance in the pit stop competiton.

A: I was pleased with our time we had over a 2-minute time at the beginning of the season, so 44 seconds isn't bad at all. Congratulations to Jamie Fuller and his crew, the winners of the pit stop competition; they had a great stop.

Q: What's the mood on your team, considering you have 2 straight Top-10 finishes and the fact you're now in the Top-20 in TSRS points after having just run in 5 races?

A: Our team has a great attitude. We know we have a fast car. In Houston, we went a lap down early with a front tire going down. The WKR team almost got me back out on the lead lap with a tire change early in the race. After the tire change, we didn't lose another lap until the 7 car and I got together coming off Turn 2. We were running the race on tires from the previous two races and those tires had a lot of laps on them. We were hoping the tires would hold up for the race but they didn't. Only our left rear tire went flat before we put the car on the trailer. We just didn't have the funds for new tires, but those are the breaks and everyone goes through them. Two Top-10s aren't bad. I believe if we could have put some tires on for this race, we would have had a great finish.

Q: Two races into the Triple Crown, your car is still in good shape. Is that a blessing?

A: I try to run everyone clean which – in turn – keeps your car from sustaining too much damage. The right side of the car was torn up pretty good, the rear end is going to have to be realigned and checked, and the front suspension has some damage. The WKR team is going to see if we can get the car ready for SAS. If we don’t get it done in time, we’ve had a good year and will use the momentum we’ve gained in the last 2 races to carry into next year’s TSRS season.

Q: What do you attribute to your team's good luck and good racing the past couple of races? Are you almost sad that the season is almost over?

A: We ran well for several races but always seemed to have something on the car break at the wrong time. When you run as we do (on a limited budget), you get what you can out of everything, where as some of the teams we compete against have the funding to replace car parts quicker than we do. All in all, considering that we were not even going to run this year, I think the team has done well. We have made a lot of new friends, and I believe TSRS is going to be a great series in the future. I expect our team to be a part of TSRS’ future success. Who knows, if we can pick up a couple of sponsors we could very well make a run for the championship next year.

Q: Any other thoughts about last Saturday's Space City 125 or upcoming race at SAS?

A: I would just say thanks to all the guys that have helped me this year. Mark Ivicic, Bryan Lane, Tim Fiedler, Tim Sowell, Tommy & Teresa (The first lady of racing in Central Texas) Gural and their entire crew, Michael Jones and Terry at Terry's Body Shop and Ronny at Longhorn Transmission. Without these people helping WKR, we would not have even run one race this year. My WKR teammates have put in countless hours and a tremendous effort, putting together a car that has been very competitive this year. I’d also like to thank Mary Ann Naumann as well for starting such a great series. All the race teams and crews are great and I have a lot of respect for all of them. I wish all the TSRS teams good luck next week in SA Hopefully, it will be another race with a lot of green flag laps, with good and close racing.

Archived