Randy Lee at Pro-4 Nationals

NickHolt

Yesterday I wrote Randy Lee an email and asked how he fared in the Pro-4 Short Track Nationals at the quarter-mile Orange Show Speedway in San Bernardino on October 4th.

He said he had a "down and up and down" weekend, but that he learned a lot. When they unloaded on Friday they were about a second off the pace, but worked on the set-up and qualified well, starting the 26-car 100-lap feature in 5th spot (13.585 seconds). 38 cars showed up for the event.

Regarding the race itself Randy said, "We got spun on the 12th circuit and went to the rear with the villain...haha. So now I was in 23rd place we found the leaders not far from our tail. At the mandatory 50 lap break we came in and fixed a fuel leak off the carb and reset air pressures. The car was getting tighter as the race continued. Then the air cleaner came loose and the throttle was hanging up so I came in under a yellow and took the air cleaner off. Counting cautions this put us 2 laps down. I was able to work my way back up a few spots and officially finish 17th."

"I'm a little bummed out about the outcome of the race but at the same time realize there were no slackers there. These guys came to race. After having time to think about it the only thing I would have done different is loosen the car up after time trials. The temp dropped a good 20 degrees between time trials and feature."

Randy-

You took a brand-new, unraced car into an unfamiliar track, qualified well for the feature when a dozen cars didn't qualify at all, then finished 17th despite a few mechanical and man-made problems along the way?

I'd say you had a heck of a weekend, Bubba. Congratulations, and good luck next season.

only a few "minor" changes would be necessary.

1. replace the 10"slicks with 8 inch

2. replace the quick change with a stock 8 or 9"

3. move the motor forward about 14"s

4. add 450lbs

there are probably more changes but you catch my drift. these would be a great class for texas. especially if you want to go real fast for a reasonably low cost. their lap times in CA are about .5 seconds faster than their late models.(on a short track)

about 25k to build. the race weekend would not cost any more than the tps series. tires go a long way with 10" slicks at 2000 lbs.

its seems kind of expensive at first but the cost of a race weekend makes up for that. and the lap times are that of tsrs. i think it would make for an exciting class. but until then we will travel a few times a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Carpenter here, out of Las Vegas, NV. The engine builder and Chief Mechanic for Eddie Secord's #84 Pro-4 based out of the Los Angeles basin. Randy and I go back and forth a bit on these 'puters and I must say up front....... the great state of Texas was well represented by Randy and his #31 team at the Pro-4 Paved Nationals. We paid close attention to his effort and his team made the greatest advance on his new chassis of any team in the field that weekend. He was about 1 second off the pace when he unloaded off the hauler but with a lot of hard work he was right in the hunt come Qualifying time. Had it not been for some bad 'racer luck' during the race, I'm sure he would easily have been in the top 10 at the Checker. An absolutely sterling effort for a new car and an unfamiliar track. Randy will be tough wherever he races that hardware. The costs discussions are just about right for a top 5 Pro-4 contender. With an engine like Randy's, a pretty stout piece I might add, one could start with zero parts and have the rest of a Pro-4 built for somewhere in the $12-15K area. Easily. That includes quick-change, chassis, suspension parts, fitted fiberglass body, internal sheet metal, all gauges, aluminum radiator, rims, steering, with a few spares thrown in. Build it yourself and save a lot more $$$. Yes....... a bit pricey up front but a very fast short-track race car with the 10" Hoosiers. With a well setup chassis, one can easily get (3) 50-lap races out of the F-35's on the right and you might tease (4) races out of the left side. Whether F-25's or F-35's. The Hoosiers out here are about $100 each + tax. Allow some 'tire conditioner' to be used and you'd get another race out of them. Some teams out of Utah were getting a half season out of a set of tires and 30-lap races. The cars are pretty easy on 10" tires at 2000#-2200#, depending on the engine combination used. I don't know what Randy's front tires measured outside-outside but the Pro-4's out west run either 76" or 78". A pretty wide car. Low to the ground(40" minimum allowed at the roof peak) with a low CG and the wide tire contact patch and they definitely get around a corner.

If Texas would want to seriously consider a Pro-4 class at some point, I can assure you the #84 team would do everything practical to advise and assist the effort. We've been at it a few years and just wrapped up the Pro-4 Championship at Orange Show Speedway last Saturday night with a WIN! They're the next best race car to a V-8 Super Late Model, just as fast on many tracks, and much cheaper in most cases.

Y'all know what Randy's car looks like. If you want to take a quick peek at the Secord Motorsports #84, you can go to our Site at www.secordmotorsports.com . Click on the 'Tech' section to gander at our powerplant. Click on 'Photo's' for more looks.

Thanks for your time............ Dave

Archived