Old Article

Some people who have expressed in posts on TXSZ that there is a southern way of racing and a northern way of racing and they want no part of the northern way. One of the best tracks in the northeast is Stafford Motor Speedway. There is an interesting article (at least I find it of interest):

http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages...odifiedPage.htm

It’s about change and future thinking, my point is you could read this article and change the dates and everywhere they state Modified and SK Modified, change it to Super Late Model and Crate Late Model. The important difference is when you browse their website and look at the rules. He new the cost of racing was going to affect his business and took a pro active role. Not everyone liked his decision and his first attempt was not successful, but failure didn’t keep him from working on a better plan. Going to a crate engine to reduce cost IMO is a giant step in the right direction. One of the most import aspects of this change is the overall rules. Cutting cost by going to crate, but allowing teams to spend unlimited amounts of money for exhaust system and shock defeats the purpose of the crate engine. One of the rules that jumped out at me in the SK lights is the detail of:

20E- 10 ENGINE DRIVE TRAIN - FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH - Stock OEM dimension steel flywheel for engine type. Stock OEM or replacement OEM type steel pressure plate and steel disc only. Minimum 10" clutch and pressure plate. Drilling or lightening of any part is not permitted. Steel bolts only. Flat surface machining allowed only on the face of the flywheel, any cutting on the back side of the flywheel will deem the part illegal.

The following weights are the minimum allowed for each part:

Flywheel only (no bolts) 15 LBS.

Pressure plate & cover only (no bolts) 13 LBS.

Disk only 3 LBS.

No bolts, talk about detail!!

I'll shut up now!

http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/index.html

Archived