Fred Elbel, Sr.

see86go

My Uncle and Aunt, Fred and Wanda Elbel, took me to my first race on my birthday in 1971, and he won the feature that night. I have been nuts about this sport since that night. While in SA in June, I learned their sons have no photos of their dad's racing, so I have reprinted every photo i own of Fred, Sr. and will be givning the photos to them this week while I am in SA. The set is huge, so I will post the best ones here.

Winning a heat in 1971

post-9-1186282342_thumb.jpg

'57 Chevy, in 1972 (+/-)

post-9-1186282521_thumb.jpg

'57 Chevy, after the switch to the narrower tires

post-9-1186282612_thumb.jpg

Another win - no one realized how close my cousin Don was to falling off the car :D

post-9-1186282756_thumb.jpg

Going over while leading a feature. He lost a right rear tire (possibly due to a broken axle) and the car turned sideways and bit into the track and ended up on its side. The #76 is Jimmy Finger, Marvin Fillip is on the outside, #16 is Hubert Bean and #3 is Darrell Godfredson

post-9-1186283076_thumb.jpg

Fred, Sr. is on the far left, and Fred Elbel, Jr. and his car are on the far right.

post-9-1186283209_thumb.jpg

Fred's last race car in his 30+ year racing career was an Olds F-85. The '57 Chevy was cut down and reskinned with the Olds body. I am not sure what the inspiration was for the number change. The number later changed to #08.

post-9-1186283336_thumb.jpg

Another view of the F-85.

post-9-1186283634_thumb.jpg

The F-85 was Fred's last car. He ran it occasionally at Pan Am, and also ran it on dirt in Corpus. The car ran well, but he didn't win any races with it. Fred, Jr. ended up with the car and showed up at Hwy. 16 one night and blew the engine while hot lapping the car. I am not sure if it ran after that.

Don told the story yesterday about almost falling off that car. It was hilarious. I agree, Don, he would have torn up the pavement... especially if he had hit head first!

Archived