TAMS Congrats

hray

I want to publicly congratulate Jerry Schild, Jason Ray, and Chris Swenson for there 1/2/3 TAMS points finish. All 3 have raised the bar to new heights for modified competitors. No longer is it possible for a dirt modified to be competitive in this series. The cars AND drivers have evolved to the point where this series could be competitive on the East or West coasts and I suspect some of the teams will run winter races on both coasts this year just to see.

At the beginning of the season it looked like Cole, Jn Heinaman (last yrs champion), and Swenson were the ones to beat. Cole had the worst run of mechanical problems I've ever seen (watch out next year), Heinaman never did come up to last year's performance and missed at least one race, and only Swenson proved to be a factor. Schild was so consistent, proving once again that the fastest car doesn't always win. Ray started the season strong (only his 2nd season on Asphalt much less TAMS) then went thru several races all ending in mechanical problems, and then finished the final 4 races with strong top 5 finishes to beat Swenson out for 2nd place in points.

Several of the dirt modified guys have said they are going to build ashphalt cars over the winter, Schild is trying to sell his car so he can build a new one, Ray and Swenson both have plans for new cars. Looking forward to next year, it ought to be a Barn Burner!

I must second that motion. I could be wrong but every track that was went to this year had a new track record posted. From a fans perspective it is one of the best series to watch. Cole's team definately has their game together. I too plan on building a car in the off season to race in the series. While I was at San antonio I asked Gary Swenson how many cars that they are building for new drivers and he said 3 as of right now. Thay have already sold another car to someone else. The only thing I wished that the series would do would be to have a full time Tech man. I was in the Tech area Saturday and it took them at least an hour if not more to check Coles heads. Did they not know what they were doing or did they find anything that shouldnt be their?

They know what they are looking for. Owen and Wayne have been around racing forever, owning, building, and driving.

I'm not pointing out anyone in particular here, but some engine builders cut heads right on the limit, and, in the case of the combustion chamber, a little carbon or other deposits can put them out of limits. Cleaning the chamber or valve faces of these deposits can put the head back in tolerance.

James Cole told me after the night that his were cut close, maybe a little too close for comfort. That is why they rechecked his head several times, just to be sure.

James will tell you all this himself. He is a very well spoken and nice to be around young man, always willing to help another racer in any way he can.

Modracer the 2 gentlemen that run the Series Owen and Wayne are the full time tech men! They do know what they are doing as well, Cole's heads were real close so instead of making a snap decision they checked them twice and they were fine. Have you ever CC'ed a set of heads? If you have then you know it can not be done in 5 minutes, [Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 10/06/03].

HRAY - I disagree with you about the dirt car comment, John Heinaman did a great job this season he only made 7 of the 12 races and finished in the top 10 in every race but 1, if you took the races he went to an only counted points for those he would have been the champion again!! He never finished as far back as Jason Ray did in at least 3 races. He drives a dirt car! I repeat he drives a dirt car! I talked to him today and he told me he could not go to all the races because he was very involved with his family [Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 10/06/03]. Thanks

I dont personaly agree with some of things you said Hray. Its nice to have the dirt guys come and run with our class the more the merrier and there are plenty of guys who run dirt chasis. I congradulate all the racers on a well run year not just the top 3.

Fastowner,

[Comment deleted by Nick Holt, 10/06/03] TO answer your question I do know how to CC some heads because that is what my family does and I have been around it for all of my life. I dont do it for a living however the last time that I checked I can do it in about 10-15 minutes. With that being said, The tech for the series has been lacking for all season long. I am not bashing the series because I plan on running it next yr. However, when it takes someone over an hour to decide if something is legal or not I must say that it probably isnt. I mean if the rules say it must be a certain CC and after you check it once and it isnt it should be ruled illegal. Take for example that the rules say the cars weigh 2500lbs and after the race it weighs less than that then it is illegal. After all when you have to scrap the combustion chambers to make it legal when the car was run it should have been ruled illegal.

Modracer,

Having been a chief tech for many years, I can assure you that making snap decisions is the worst thing you can do. A good Tech man always looks at the issue from many different perspectives and makes his decisions only when he is sure. I applaud Owen and Wayne for taking the time to make sure of their call.

Nick Holt

Fastowner,

I guess I struck a nerve there. I said Heinaman missed some races and I would submit the only reason he did as well as he did is because he is a good driver. I would further submit the reason he didn't dominate in the races he was in is precisely because he is running the same dirt chassis he ran last year. Most cars last year started life as dirt chassis'. This year Schild, Ray, Swenson, Cole, Barta, Nauman, and maybe more (Beddoe????) all had asphalt chassis. If you'll check it out, you'll see who set all the track records this year and who set poll at most races. Care to guess? If you are not familliar with the differences, they are numerous, not the least of which is weight distribution and chassis stiffness. Believe me these cars are evolving and the longer a driver sticks with a dirt chassis the the more noncompetitive he will be. Even Mikulencak says he is going to build a asphalt car. As far as the if's you brought up - If Ray hadn't had mechanical problems in 3 races and if Swenson hadn't wrecked in 2 races either of them would have walked away with the championship. By the way, IF frogs could fly they wouldn't bump their ass every time they hop.

tams 37,

I'm sure Wayne feels we need the car count, so we need the dirt guys. The problem is the leaders start to lap the slower dirt cars in about 4 laps and it's hard to pass a car that's running 1 - 2 seconds slower when they think they are racing you (especially when they have an ill handling car). The best situation this year was the Stock Car Spec. when they ran a B Main and got the really slow cars out.

I totally agree with Nick. If the rules say 62cc chambers, a good engine man is going to make the chambers 62cc's. I'd be real upset if our heads checked anymore than 62cc's. If you get carbon build up or air bubbles in the oil that is used to check them, you should clean them and do it again. I applaud Wayne and Owen for cleaning and rechecking. Usually when heads are cc'd they clean them 1st anyway.

Modracer I don't want to keep arguing with you because that is not what this site is about but let me try to explain my understanding of all this. I have seen cars roll up on the scales that did not weigh right because a wheel was off on one scale or another so you have to allow that car to back off the scales and re position properly. The bottom line is racing is supposed to be fair to all competitors and the job of the series promoters is to ensure that whether it takes 5 minutes or an hour the race is fair to everyone, ask any good racer if they would rather have tech just DQ them at a glance or do proper tech on the car, they will tell you proper tech! I know that TAMS teched heads twice this season, bore and stroke once, pulled one lifter looking for roller lifters, weight at every race, third members twice, aluminum parts at every race, carbs on the slick tire cars every race, wheel base, engine setback, tire compound, spoilers, crankshaft height, head casting #'s 4 times, traction control devices, and I am sure I have forgot many things. You probably can CC heads in 10-15 minutes but when you did it were the heads extremely hot? Did you do it in the back of a van at a race track with people constantly bothering you with questions about the race, did you have to do 3 different heads with an impatient driver looking excitedly over your shoulder? Did you have to check Carbs at the same time, did you also have to weigh 4 cars? Did you also have some upset crews and drivers bending your ear about there race problems? Did you have ten people spotting a late model race on the top of the van you were trying to do this in? Anyway these are things I noticed Saturday night at the TAMS race. Good luck next year!

HRAY - you did not strike a nerve I was just trying to set some things straight like Jason Ray had an asphalt car last season, so did Swenson, so did Hiel, so did Schild for some of the season, but a dirt car still won the championship! As for Cole no offense James but he had an asphalt car all year this year but he still did not dominate the races until the last 3. Poles and track records are one thing but finishing races is more important in winning championships. If guys like you get there way with dirt cars not showing up then the 4 or 5 guys you mentioned with asphalt cars will be racing next season and no one else, TAMS will last about as long as the flying frog! Everyone knows your opinion about slower cars holding up the field this year, I can think back to last year where they should have black flagged Jason several times for being slow and in the way at CC Speedway not to mention his attempts at dirt in Goliad. But he was learning and every driver has the right to race, learn, and improve. Please try to respect the fellow competitors as you would like to be respected, not everyone has a large wallet and lots of time. Good Luck and God Bless!

OOPS- I forgot one thing, if you are a good driver like Mikluncak, Heinaman, Swenson and many others it does not matter what you drive you will still be competetive because you are a good driver! You could put Chris or Greg Davidson in a go kart out there and they would still make it in the top ten!

By the way, I do not think any less of the rest of the TAMS drivers and crews. They all did great. Traditionally the top 3 competitors are acknowledged in any competition. Though I probably should have included Bruce Beddoe in the original "Congrats". He missed 1 race and still finished right behind Swenson. In fact, there is only 99 points separating the top 4 cars.

Poorboy,

I hope it doesn't either. I don't think it will, since so many guys are building asphalt cars, and those drivers who are serious about being competitive will eventually find a combination that works. I believe this series will go the way of every other series that has been around for a while. The dirt cars will eventually go by the wayside or the rules will have to be changed to make both types more comparable. Look at the East coast cars. They've made them coparable by letting them all run slicks but making them weigh 7.04 lbs/CI; whereas the West coast cars have gone the way of strictly asphalt (Grand American Modified). Take your pick, but you can't have both or the series will die.

Fastowner,

Is that why Chris D. raced 4 races this year and never finished in the top 10? He's a great driver, so what does that tell you? Greg D raced 1 race in a junk car and didn't finish in the top 10!

To set the record straight, Jason's car last year was the same dirt car he drove at Goliad. It underwent a complete remake over the winter and is now strictly an asphalt car. It will probably be retired this winter in favor of the latest in asphalt chassis'.

As far as black flags are concerned, Jason did get black flagged several times in Goliad. I can remember Steve Turner personally black flagging him for spinning out so many times. We started calling him Spinner and Vince brought him a donut at the next race. If you'll remember we did get black flagged at CCS last year. This year at THR when we were only running on 7 cylinders Jason got black flagged. You never heard him complain or argue because we believe if you are SUBSTANTIALLY slower than the rest of the traffic you need to be black flagged. That's why I am unchangeable in my view.

If its one thing that gets on my nerves its how people never respect the guys runnin in the back. Ill admit we had lots of trouble with set ups this year thats what killed us runnin with a junk chasis but a good motor doesnt even out. My Dad and I had this talk today and he usaly always finishes in the top 8 in his SS but in his Mod he has struggled a little bit. We are still deciding what are plans are for the modified series next year but he said to me today that if he ever gets to where he runs up front he will always respect the guys running in the back. I totaly agree with him not just because hes my Dad but because the guy in the back is doin the best with what he has and you cant knock him for that. I only recall a few instances in all the types of races Ive seen where a lapped car took out a leader. But what I have seen is leaders stick their noses where they didnt belong and almost and do wipe people out. If a leader is so much faster than the guy he is lapping then make the pass on the outside or wait till he moves over for you. Hray we all have our different opinions on these subjects but I just hope you change your thoughts on this subject cuase it aint the car its the racer that counts. You could throw a guy in a fast car that usaly runs in the back and he may have a top 5 finish but I hate to say its that green stuff called bills that gets ya the fast chasis and it aint easy to come by. So respect the guy for what he has and how he tries.

tams37,

Honestly I'm not talking about your dad. If I remember right he finished the season a respectable 9th with 4 top 10 finishes. Besides, when he was having trouble and running slow, he moved to the high or low and didn't try to race the leaders as they passed.

We were taken out at CCS by a lap car on the 4th lap. We managed to limp along for several more laps until we were black flagged for a left front flat and had to park in the infield. The race went green the rest of the race so we didn't get to fix the tire. The car that took us out, did the same thing 2 years earlier in Goliad on dirt. That's the kind of dirt guys I'm talking about. You don't try to race the lead cars when you're being lapped on the 4th lap.

I've got lots of respect for guys like your dad, but not...........................Those guys need to get another hobby. Enough said!

I can see both perspectives. However, I must say that if its a certain CC's then that is what it should be. Were any of the other competitors had to bring in a scrapper of any other device to get their heads within tolerance. I dont think so. As far as the other distractions I must say that there were some, but most of that was the crew of the car involved. I did not notice anyone on the van when they were teching the cars.

I too would like to congratulate all the top 3 in points,and the rookie of the year Matt Gardner. Who by the was was in a DIRT CAR,Beddoe was also in a dirt chassis,so was the 25 car and a few races he beat your (asphalt chassis). I strongly disagree with your analalysis of the chassis situation,because Swenson finished the season in a dirt chassis. There is no doubt y'all were fast,but for the most part you are wrong for saying the dirt chassis are finished in t.a.m.s. .

Archived