Press Release about Jeff Pollard @ HMP

Jeff Pollard Race Preview at Houston Motorsports Park, Saturday, Oct. 4, 2003

The Checkered Flag: Houston resident Jeff Pollard, who runs in the Texas Super Race Series (TSRS), will run in this weekend’s TSRS race, The Space City 125, at Houston Motorsports Park. Jeff is in 3rd place in the TSRS Points Standings. “JP” tallied a 5th-place finish last Saturday at Thunder Hill Raceway, despite starting 30th out of a field of 31st for the feature race. Pollard stands at 630 points for the season and trails points-leader Ronnie New (710) by 80 points going into the last two races of the season, this Saturday at HMP and next Saturday at San Antonio Speedway.

The 2003 TSRS season to date for Jeff “J.P.” Pollard:

9 Starts

2 Feature Wins (@ Thunder Hill Raceway, 4/5/03; at Houston Motor Speedway, 7/26/03)

2 Pole Positions

7 Top-5 finishes

8 Top-10 finishes

Q&A with Jeff “J.P.” Pollard

Q: Starting so far back in the pack, where you worried about making it up to the front, especially with 31 cars starting the feature and knowing there were so many cars ahead of you?

We just figured we'd play the cards we were dealt. We certainly didn't like starting at the back, especially at a track (THR) that is difficult to pass on. On the other hand, I felt like we had a good enough car that if we stayed out of trouble we could manage a respectable finish. Fortunately, we were able to do just that.

Q: What was your team's mindset going into the race, especially with your car starting so far back?

A: I really can't say enough about my crew – Jason Reaves, James Battles, Joe Thirolf and Andy Martinez. They took the setback in stride and formulated a game plan. The guys knew we'd have to be lucky and good to salvage the evening, and they worked their tails off preparing the car for the race after qualifying. They weren't going to leave anything to chance and it showed. The car performed flawlessly all night, with most of the credit going to my awesome crew.

Q: When did you realize you were going to be able to make it to the front of the pack?

A: We never made it all the way to the front, but I felt from the on-set that we could have a decent night as long as I didn't get impatient. Matt Brune (driver, #18) is a great competitor and – although I wouldn't wish a back row starting position on anyone – we were fortunate he was back there with us. Together, I think we were able to work traffic much more effectively than if either of us had been in the situation alone. Hats off to him, he did a great job.

Q: How did the car handle, and did you make any adjustments after qualifying?

A: We always tweak the car a little for qualifying. Nothing major, but we did adjust the tire pressures for a 2-lap run, tape up the grill and brake ducts and adjust the fuel load, along with a few other minor adjustments. The car was really good right off the trailer, so we didn't have to make a lot of changes throughout the day. After qualifying, we just put it back into race trim and double-checked everything before the feature race.

Q: Are you concerned, being behind both Tommy Gural (2nd place) and Ronnie New (1st place) in the points chase?

A: Sure, it was a disappointing night from a points perspective. We're now 80 points out of the lead with only two races remaining. Our mindset all year has been that we need to focus on winning races and the points will take care of themselves. Maybe we should have had a different game plan but it's too late to change that now.

Q: What's your battle plan for running at the Space City 125 at Houston Motorsports Park this coming weekend?

A: With regards to the car, we'll do the same things we have done all year. The crew has a busy week ahead of them, though. We're working every night for the rest of the week on the car and practicing pit stops. We need to put at least one more in the win column this season in the final two races.

Archived