ENGINE RULES

supertx

These are the toughest questions to answer sometimes. The question always seems to surface of why have rules if you're not going to take steps to enforce them? On the other hand, most racers would have serious heartburn about pulling a crankshaft for tech. inspection. I think the answer is one of those "it depends" answers. For example, I think the severety of the tech inspection might depend on the class of car ($$ involved), the type of race involved (end of season, big $$, or regular weekly show), and other factors. If you use our car as an example, if we were asked to remove our crankshaft in the middle of the season after finishing 3rd of 4th, we might have to refuse just because we coudn't afford to get to motor back together. I know, some will say..."you have no business racing if you can't afford that", but I suspect that many low budget teams would be in the same boat.

On the other hand, if you look at a touring late model team or super late model team in the same position where more money is at stake, they may not think twice about pulling their crank. Personally, I've never minded pulling heads because I can put the motor back together myself with minor expense. I also wouldn't mind pulling an inspection plug or dropping the pan enough for a visual inspection of the rods and crank. Again, I could put the stuff back together myself with minor expense. But taking the rotating assembly apart is a different story...

Sorry for the long answer. BTW, did someone pull crankshafts last Saturday?

cs

:) ss99 I agree I think it should depend on the money that is being paid out,also tracks used to pay gasket money when you was torn down and found legal,if you was illegal then it was your own problem,I guess this has gone out the window nowadays. Fuel should be checked,it is a fairly easy test with the proper equipment.Personally I don't like the crank weight rule,but understand the reason for it,but if you have a rule you need to enforce it,racers will always try to read between the lines and venture into the grey areas if they are capable.I think you should have the rules so you wouln't have to do more than pull the head at the most,I really prefer that all that would have to be done is p&g or check thru the spark plug hole,also at Devils Bowl they used to have a rule to have a inspection plug in the drain pan.Tearing down cars for 100 to win and tearing the top 4 down when 4th pays 25 is reallyabsurd.

These are great comments , but I would like to point out that even in a touring class like TSRS the money is mainly out of pocket in most cases.

If you get 3rd place the pay out may only be $300.- $500. That would not cover the cost of pullin a crank. If the crank gets any damage while being pulled at the track the cost goes up. You would have to re-ring & put new bearings in the motor , and have the Cylinders honed.

Take our team for example we have some sponsors , but not one single Money sponsor.

The entry fees for our races are much higher than the local classes , as well as the entry fees that we have to pay on top of the Entry fee.

Think about this one. If a driver wins one week , and the wheel base is the only tech items they go through , and the next week another driver wins & he has to pull his crank- is that fair?

The up keep in a touring class like TSRS is much more expensive as well.

Most of the parts are after market and can not get purchased used, or from a junk yard.

When running 100 laps a night you go through tires much quicker.

Most of the races are out of town , and the expenses mount up.

I know that when a team makes up it's mind to move up & to run in a touring class that they know these things , but they can not always afford it.

They main point that I am try to make is that just because it is a touring class dose not mean the all of the teams are rich , and that the pay out will cover any of the costs.

Why pull a crank when they can pull the inspection plug, and use a bore scope to see if the crank has signs of being lightened.

That should be done before ever thinking of pulling a crank.

Just my 2 cents.

Victory Lane

Boy you guys know how to bring up a good subject. I agree with the idea if you have a rule, enforce it. Yet, it should not be abused if it is for protest purposes, especially when the guy pulling the crank is not blowing everyone away and the protester is just doing it for spite. The rule governing body does have the option to drop the protest if they feel it is petty. On the other hand when the same racer is noticeably blowing the field away weekend and weekout, it might be a good idea for the track/sanction to do it if not a protest about a 1/3 through the season so as to shut up the cry babys and make them get back to work on their setup. Usually the guys cheating are at the back of the pack trying to take the easy way out. Think about it, why would a racer, lets say at SAS where they are not just running for the track championship, but the NASCAR regional prize at the end of the year of $42,000 or the national of $165,000. Why would they want to blow it. A very good set of rules that is more than 1 page in length that spells out everything and a very good tech staff will stop this possible cheating in its tracks.

I think it all depends on the tech man and if he really knows how to use the tech tools. I wouldnt want to tear my motor down at the track because they do not have a hoist, the shop is very dirty, and there are too many people standing around on the tech pad. I would love to see the bottom ends on some of the cars out there, but I would hate to have to tear mine down. :unsure:

Archived