A Must Read

Braunfels99

Speedway Illustrated article by Dick Berggren

DO YOUR PART

In the '50s and '60s, traffic of¬ten backed up for miles as fans headed for Saturday night races at the quarter-mile Pines Speedway near where I live. As time went on, for many reasons the crowds became smaller; and as they did, the track fell into disrepair. It closed over 20 years ago. More people showed up on the property for a recent reunion than attended some of the final races at the Pines.

People who packed the stands during those glory days would never imagine what has happened to the place. If they could talk to some of today's track operators, they'd understand how difficult keeping a short track alive has become and how treacherous an enterprise operating a speedway can be.

In the '50s and '60s, a guy could earn a living racing three or four nights a week, even after paying all of the expenses of his race operation with nothing but prize money. Sponsors or personal wealth keep today's racers financially fit, because it costs more to race than a guy (or gal) can win.

Plenty is being done to cut racers' costs. But not much is happening to benefit track operators, who are struggling to break even by running weekly or lower-level tour events.

These are the hardest of times for many short track operators. In today's America, local speedways compete with so much other entertainment, putting butts on the boards is more challenging now than ever before.

In California, Cajon Speedway didn't open for racing in '05.

Mesa Marin, Watsonville, and Kings Speedways closed, potentially for good, at the end of the '05 season. In Pennsylvania, the once-strong Big Diamond Speedway cancelled its year-end super show, and track operators announced that they were throwing in the towel. In New York, Chemung and Shangri-La concluded operations. In Nebraska, the owner/operator of Eagle Raceway decided to not continue. Florida's Hialeah Speedway closed in August after 51 years.

Track operators all over America have told me how tough it is out there.

To fix a problem, it's first necessary to realize there is a problem. Houston, we have a problem.

The biggest issue local-level racers face today is not the high cost of engines, gear rules, or their tire bill. It's that the track where they (you?) race may not be around much longer. The brutal reality is that your local race track just might become a shopping mall or a condo complex. It could happen in 2006.

I'm not ready to give up on track operators, even though they have for decades been their own worst enemies. I explain to them that the current fad of building the back gate while ignoring the show produces an inevitable and well-documented downward economic spiral. In speeches at track operator conventions, hi one-on-one conversations, and in these pages, I've complained to them about draggy shows, too many classes, announcers who don't know what is going on, inaudible PA systems, and the rest of what needs to be fixed.

I'm doing my best, but I need you to help me.

Most important, if you're a racer, air your track's dirty laundry in private. An especially sore point are website postings that attack local tracks. Irwindale, California track manager Bob DeFazio has told his competitors that ugly postings can cost them sponsors. Eagle Raceway's promoter wrote that ugly website postings contributed to his track's demise.

It's winter: car-show time. When your tack needs cars for a show, do your part. Help promote your speedway.

It'll be tempting to draw a yellow when you want one next summer, but given fans' lack of tolerance for delays, it's better to sacrifice your night for the greater good.

When they call your division to line up, roll that machine, because fans won't tolerate delay.

Understand this: The special interests of any individual competitor are less important than the interests of the fans sitting in the stands. The fans are more important than you, because without them the party ends. The party can go on without even the tack's champion.

The most important job of every local-level racer is to help keep their track open. That means ending the war with the promoter. Join him/her in the effort to make the speedway a viable business.

We are in this together. We need to help keep race tacks racing. Neither you nor I need another shopping mall on property that was once a speedway.

16 Speedway Illustrated February 2006

Just hoping all this works out...Offering opinioins and nitpicking doesn't always help. I dont know or can speak for anyone but myself. I just want our track open with owners who want to improve it and make it better. Everything I Heard from Shelma and J&S , Thats exactly what they were doing! Heres to fingers crossed...

I think that says it all. As alot of us have said in the past we are willing to work together to make the track work. I know I have said several times before when some of the issues have come up that we need to remember that not only drivers read the forum others read it and we don't want the bashing and bickering to run off potential fans, sponsors or promoters.

We want to race!!

I read that article when it came out and was suprised that no one mentioned it back then. Dick hit the nail right on the head. Touring groups need to help out also, even if they dont feel like they have a "home" track.

The internet can hurt us as a group far more than it can ever help us.

Actually, it was posted on here back then, but I'm too lazy to go back and find out exactly when and where it was posted.

I agreed with the article then, and I still do...

But, I don't think it's the internet or this site that is the problem. It is the people who don't think before they post that's the problem.

Nick

America gives its citizens the right to bear arms. But do we condem America because some of its citizens shoot other people? Well, maybe some left-wing tree-huggers do, but most of us understand that there will always be some who take advantage of our American liberty just as some abuse their freedom to post their negative, aggressive thoughts on Texas Speed Zone.

If you really pay attention, you will see that it's a very small percentage of our 2,800 members who post the majority of the negative, aggressive posts on here. Most of the track owners/promoters appreciate the fact that the site is moderated and because it is, they feel more comfortable posting and reading what we have to say.

Do they like every thing that's said? Certainly not. I hear from track owners and promoters all the time about the negative crap that ends up in some threads.

I am convinced that the good that TXSZ does for racing, however, far outweighs the bad some individuals bring to the site.

Nick

For example, I wouldn't have anywhere to post my pictures or get my name out if it weren't for TXSZ and Greg Dinsmore. Without these two, no one would know who I am or what I do.

For example, I wouldn't have anywhere to post my pictures or get my name out if it weren't for TXSZ and Greg Dinsmore. Without these two, no one would know who I am or what I do.

THERE SOMEBODY SAYS WE HAVE TO THINK B4 U TYPE AND YES THERE IS A NEED FOR THE INTERNET CHAT ROOMS JUST WISH THOSE THAT BASH WOULD HAVE A TRUE REASON TO BASH I JUST HOPE AS A RACING FAMILY WE CAN GET IT ON *ON THE TRACK* SEE YA MAYBE SOMEWHERE SOMETIME SOMEPLACE GREG D

Amen! I think the majority of us out there just want a place to race. We miss having something to do on Friday nights. We have supported the track for several years and hope to continue no matter who is in charge. We just want someone to take it seriously and ask for help from people. There are so many out there willing to do whatever is needed to keep the place open and running. I bet if you asked around there would be family of racers or even fans willing to help out where they can. Some would even help just for their pass or admission for their kids instead of paying someone who might not really care what happens with the track. Communication is going to be a big issue to keep things running smooth. Have a meeting with drivers, family of the drivers and spectators or even have a way that people could give suggestions to what might help. There are alot of people out there that have great business sense that could help.

Lets all put the crap that has been happening behind us let the people involved in that situation work it out away from the forum or the track and lets get back to racing. We need to help and support whoever is taking the time to keep the track open and lets all work to make the track a hit.

All anyone has been asking is just for some communication on if we are racing each week as long as the "R" stays away. Don't leave everyone hanging, waiting because alot of people have preparations to do and plans to travel if there are races. If the "R" effects that we understand but let us know if things are moving forward for Friday and the future.

Archived