Pensacola/Mobile doubleheader 7-20 and 7-21

Snowball

The 3rd race in the popular Blizzard series will be held Friday Night ,July 20th at Five Flags. As always, it will be a doubleheader with Mobile Speedway. I hope to see many Texas drivers once again. Early indications are indicating another stellar field! I'll post a list of expected drivers in the near future.

Hey Ice Crystal, have you figured out a way the Texans can get to FFs without being harassed by the Florida DOT? They can get to Mobile without having to put up with the Florida nonsense. If Florida is so hardup, maybe they should start charging a state income tax.

Can the guys coming from the west pick up old 90 around Loxley? It goes in south of I-10, and they can turn north to the track on Pine Forest right at the fairgrounds.

Steve,

While you are at it, can you find out if old 90 has a weigh station or checkpoint on it at the Fl/Al line??

I think this is what they are trying to get around.

hey tom this is lynn hardy...last week we went to 5 flags via i-10 we kicked it up to 85 to get a good running start past the weigh station...we did not get pulled over but we only had a 3/4 ton truck with a two axle trailor.....i heard the popped dale little and a few other alabama driver with over $14,000 in fines....sounds like best thing is to take an open trailor and a small trailor for pit equipment and parts...but as far as we know there is no weight station on 90

Howdy Lynn,

long time no see......

Got a friend with a 40 foot 3 axle trailer, they have asked three different departments, and still cannot find out exactly what they need. The Fl DPS, Escambia Sheriff's office, and the DMV down there all had different things they told them, and none knew enough to tell them what it is they need.

And the statute itself is far beyond anything I can comprehend. The damn overlength permit application is hard enough to understand.

The thing I find interesting is, they know enough of the statute to write you a ticket(s), but can't explain to you what it is you need to keep from getting that ticket.

And in talking with some non-racing friends I have in Florida, if you have just about any kind of trailer, be it boat, camper, or utility, you can, and will sooner or later, be stopped.

Florida is not the only one doing this; I understand Tennessee is or may be heading in the same direction, and jsut a few years ago, California had to be threatened to to ease up on the Cup and NHRA haulers.

Call it a permit, call it a license, it is all new revenue.

Like I said, I'm terrible with directions, but what about taking I-10 to !-65 North. Go to the Flomaton exit, and then come back south. Through Flomaton Alabama and take Hwy 29 south to the track. This is the route all of the Birmingham drivers etc. take. As fas as I know, there would be no weigh stations via this route, and it would probably add about 1 hour of travel time.I can't remember all of the highways off of 65, but it would be easy to find via a map.

Snowball the way you mentioned is the way that I come from Montgomery and I do not remember seeing any weight stations. You cross the Alabama and Florida line in the town of Flomaton and Century......................If you are on I-65 coming from Mobile it would be closer to get off at the Atmore exit. Turn right and stay on that road all the way over to Hwy. 29.

I believe MM has given you the best route. He drives it quite often and should know about the weigh station. Looking forward to seeing all of you at FFs and MIS on the 20th and 21st. It is a shame the Florida DOT wants to play these silly games. I hope Tim and the FFs fans have their local State Rep. looking into the matter.

Archived