It's time to work together in a more positive way

NickHolt

Many of the posts in several of the current I-37 threads have presented suggestions, constructive criticism and an amazing amount of good will. I suspect the people making those sorts of posts probably have the best interest of the track, their fellow racers, sponsors and fans in mind.

However, there is also a great deal of ranting and raving about the current owners and their staff. I have removed or edited the most offensive of those posts, but I must admit that I have also let too many implied or semi-constructive bashes remain.

I think by now most all of our TXSZ members and readers have the idea that not all is well at I-37. There seems little point in encouraging further negative posts concerning the relative effectiveness of the I-37 ownership/management team.

Hopefully the rumors we are all hearing about new owners will come true. And if so, I would hope that the boo-birds would keep their negativity down to give the new administration a decent shot at making I-37 live up to its potential.

Thanks for your understanding as I curb further negative comments concerning the current I-37 ownership/management.

Nick

Many of the posts in several of the current I-37 threads have presented suggestions, constructive criticism and an amazing amount of good will. I suspect the people making those sorts of posts probably have the best interest of the track, their fellow racers, sponsors and fans in mind.

However, there is also a great deal of ranting and raving about the current owners and their staff. I have removed or edited the most offensive of those posts, but I must admit that I have also let too many implied or semi-constructive bashes remain.

I think by now most all of our TXSZ members and readers have the idea that not all is well at I-37. There seems little point in encouraging further negative posts concerning the relative effectiveness of the I-37 ownership/management team.

Hopefully the rumors we are all hearing about new owners will come true. And if so, I would hope that the boo-birds would keep their negativity down to give the new administration a decent shot at making I-37 live up to its potential.

Thanks for your understanding as I curb further negative comments concerning the current I-37 ownership/management.

Nick

If new management does their part I'll do mine. I feel full grandstands and a full field of cars are vital to the racing experience. If things go well -- or even not so well at first but with good intentions and promise -- I will be no more and no less outspoken with positive comments than I have been with negative (and, sad to say, realistic) comments about the current regime.

Is that fair enough Nick?

Respectfully, Don in Austin

I completely agree with Nick. We all need to remember one thing. The new owners of this track will not get rich from owning it. Nobody I know of has ever gotten rich from owning a local race track. They do it because they love the sport and it is fun for them. We race because we love the sport and it is fun for us. Please do not complain about every little thing on this forum. Allow the owners to enjoy their experience with this track so it will hopefully be a long term experience.

The number one thing tracks need is fans. Let's assume you are looking at the internet because you want information about some place you are considering going to. If it is a restaurant and people are talking about the small portions of food they serve, are you going to go? If it is a concert and people are talking about how late the show starts and how many breaks they have, are you going to go? By getting on this forum and complaining about everything that you do not agree with you are running off potential fans and you are not helping our sport. I know you are all thinking the old owners deserved it and you are probably right. We have new owners now and there needs to be changes by all parties that it takes to make a track survive.

The best time of my life was when I got to go racing with my family. Please do not take away that possibility from other people by airing out all your complaints. Please put all the positive comments you have on here and e-mail the people in charge directly if you have other concerns. Our sport is in a lot of trouble. We need help in trying to make it survive. We do not need help in destroying it. Please take a little consideration in how your posts will effect our sport. LET'S GO RACING! :D

So, to put it in less politically correct language, we should let other potential customers be suckered into the same thing we were, just so the track can take their money that one time?

Criticism should not be construed to be bashing. People who criticize, as I have done on the lateness and show timing issue, do so because it adversely affects the show. Not everyone has the same opinion, I think some people wouldn't mind being out there until the sun comes up, but as a racing fan of some 35 years, I know that many other people share the same opinion.

The first time someone experiences a new sport is critical. It is hard enough to convince a newbie to drive out to the middle of nowhere to watch an unknown number of cars of unknown quality drive around in the dirt. I put off going to a dirt show for years, even though I had been crewing on a Pan American pavement car in the early seventies, so I wasn't new to oval racing.

In my opinion it is far better to let the truth be known up front so there are no surprises when fans actually make the effort to come out. People can deal with negative information if it is not popped on them at the last minute. But the fan who gets P-O-ed because a significant negative issue comes up is going to weigh that issue disproportionately, compared to the favorable parts of the evening.

Don't get fans to come out once, then never come back. We need them to come out, and come out again, and again.....

Bobby,

Why not give the new owners the benefit of the doubt? You may have felt "suckered" at some tiime in the past, but to assume that the new owners will do the some thing before the ink is even dry on the paperwork seems just a bit unreasonable to me. UMO

Nick

Nick

If new management does their part I'll do mine. I feel full grandstands and a full field of cars are vital to the racing experience. If things go well -- or even not so well at first but with good intentions and promise -- I will be no more and no less outspoken with positive comments than I have been with negative (and, sad to say, realistic) comments about the current regime.

Is that fair enough Nick?

Respectfully, Don in Austin

Don,

I understand what you are saying.

But we are not new Management,,We are new owners... Yes there will be changes...

Good Ones

Thanks

Shelma

So, to put it in less politically correct language, we should let other potential customers be suckered into the same thing we were, just so the track can take their money that one time?

Criticism should not be construed to be bashing. People who criticize, as I have done on the lateness and show timing issue, do so because it adversely affects the show. Not everyone has the same opinion, I think some people wouldn't mind being out there until the sun comes up, but as a racing fan of some 35 years, I know that many other people share the same opinion.

The first time someone experiences a new sport is critical. It is hard enough to convince a newbie to drive out to the middle of nowhere to watch an unknown number of cars of unknown quality drive around in the dirt. I put off going to a dirt show for years, even though I had been crewing on a Pan American pavement car in the early seventies, so I wasn't new to oval racing.

In my opinion it is far better to let the truth be known up front so there are no surprises when fans actually make the effort to come out. People can deal with negative information if it is not popped on them at the last minute. But the fan who gets P-O-ed because a significant negative issue comes up is going to weigh that issue disproportionately, compared to the favorable parts of the evening.

Don't get fans to come out once, then never come back. We need them to come out, and come out again, and again.....

Bobby,

I agree,,, we have a fan advisor board... I can deal with negative information as with the good...

Shelma

Nick, I am not addressing the intentions of the new owners.

I and others have addressed this in relation to the old manager(s), and in response to a explicit question about what is important in direction for the future. The poster Sprintsrule apparently feels that that is unacceptable. He was the one who brought this issue up in relation to the new owners, not me.

By now it is no secret that the track had problems under the old regime. Anyone who reads this board is going to be wondering how the new management will do things differently. At this point the issues themselves are less important than knowing that the management will be forthright it at least acknowledging that they exist.

I am all for giving "break-in" allowances. But many businesses spend considerable sums of money trying to figure out what their customers want. Others go out of business because they didn't try to find out, or even care. I don't expect everyone to agree on the scheduling issues. But I don't expect other people to try to stifle the conversations about the issues either.

Bobby,

I am talking about the new owners. What I am asking is if the show runs a little late the first night or two, please do not get on here and start bashing them. Give them a change to make it right. E-mail them personally and say as a race fan I thought the show ran a little late and give them a chance to correct it. We are not helping the sport by bashing every little thing on the forums.

As far as politcally correct language, I could give a ---- about being politcally correct. Sometimes we just need to back up a little and consider what we are doing. Continuing to bash the race track is not going to help it survive.

I think everyone is in agreement that we are all willing to give the new owners a chance. Everyone gave Chico a chance. Its just most everyone knew how the old owners were and that was the problem. I don't know anything about the new owners but we are willing to give them the chance to make things work. We know it takes time but as long as they have the right attitude and it sounds from other posts that this is a move in the right direction. We wish the new owners good luck and we will be there to see how things work.

Archived