WICHITA SPEEDWAY IS OFFICALLY CLOSED

Jay is correct, I did not participate in the protest either. I had written a professional & nice email to the track and serveral of the officials, voicing my concern with the car count & new rules. I asked some questions and asked them to call or email me back if I could help in anyway.

Never got a response or an email back?

"what we have here is a failure to communicate!" Sad :(

97car, there was a dirt track there, it closed years ago, I raced a few times there back in the late '70's.

DANG...I am that OLD! :o

The dirt track was ran by the Cournoyer Family.

I'm guessing ya'll are talking about the track that was on 281 South that was known at one time as Col C's Speedrome.

I think it is approaching 10 years or so that the track has been closed; We drove by it frequently in 1999 and 2000 on our way to Altus or Dodge City, and there was not much left. Didn't it become a ballfield?

I reckon the closest track for the dirt racers is Lawton, or back down to Boyd.

Thanks Tom I knew you could come up with something,and Mark how do you think I feel, I watched you figure 8 at Sportsdrome a few times. Plan C make it a dirt track and align with the rules at Lawton and even Altus for the stockers maybe you could draw the cars on Friday night with the right payout.

I would like to try something. Most of you seem to think that Stan closed the track, when Barry is the one who really did it (as stated in his brief letter on the website). So, I would like to appoint someone all of you know well and trust to ask Barry who was making the calls at the track. It has been my experience that Barry doesn't hear all that well and only hears part of what is said in large groups. He let Stan speak for him at the driver meetings.

I know Fred has a open line of communication with Barry and he will get the straight story. So Fred, will you ask Barry a few questions and report your answers here in the same context Barry tells you?

Questions to ask:

Who's decision was it to close the track down?

Did Stan decide to close the track down himself?

Who was making the rule changes? (Was it one person or a mutual decision of the owners?)

What was the straw that "broke the camels back" in deciding to shut the track down?

Who was instrumental in closing the track? (Was it Stan or the protesting racers or what?)

Please feel free to add to these questions guys. I would like to know the answers too.

And Fred, if you are willing to spend the few minutes to do this for everyone, feel free to print this off and write in the answers so it is as accurate as possible. Accuracy is very important here!

Guys, keep in mind that I have nothing to gain here. The track is closed and what i or you say will not open it back up. Don't take your anger out on me, wait until the answers come back from Barry to pass your fianl judgement.

Walt Wilson

Walt, this is not a trail to put the blame on any one person or prove anyone innocent. The track closed, get on with life and hope someone can take the Track and reopen "Red River Speedway". There were some bad business and rule decisions made.

The damage is done, I do not live in Wichita Falls, but there appeared to be a feud between the "Hatfields & McCoys" and no one came out a winner. All parties involved need to step aside and see what happens.

Sometime good comes out of bad situations. I hope? :)

By the way, my name is Walt Wilson. If you expect me to respond to any post, I require that you post your name as well. Anything un-signed is not worthy of my response!

Walt Wilson

Just a thought, but if you expect/require everyone elseto post their name, then why not you yourself post your REAL name. ;)

My money is on Joe Madore having the track back open in August....

its aful funny no one has ever heard of walt wilson in till the track closed and now he has a voice for the race he defends stan a lot i kinda think that he real name mighr just be stan who is with me here

BOBBY NETTLES #36 BOMBER

Walt Wilson:

I'm glad you know I have an open line of communication with Barry, but that doesn't mean I will make Barry feel any worse then he is right now. The facts are simple the track is closed and nothing that any of us say will change that. I have unlimited respect for Barry and I will not pry on him for answers that will do nothing for any of us. Barry is a good man and I truly feel bad for him and the racers for what he felt he needed to do and that was close the track. I won't put salt on Barry's wound when he is down and that is because I have more respect for Barry then anyone will ever know. For the reasons I have stated I choose not to ask Barry the questions and can only hope that you and everyone else understands where I'm coming from.

Fred A. Whitted Jr.

Archived