24 69 Gary Harvey / Seguin, 66 laps

25 53 Ryan Engelhardt / Lake Travis, 65 laps

26 24 John Hernandez/San Antonio, 54 laps

27 21 Richard Hearn / Elmendorf, 41 laps

28 00 Beau Bukowski / San Antonio, 40 laps

29 88 Keith Sandefur / New Braunfels, 19 laps

30 26 Toby Robertson / Midland, 19 laps

31 94 Larry Stein / Austin, 6 laps

Thoughts, observations and information from the grandstands... It felt good just to sit and watch some good stock car racing without having to have some sort of offical duties...

It was quite a night for the Texas Super Racing Series, or should I say, quite an early morning, since the majority of the race took place after midnight! But the late hour didn’t bother one of the largest Thunder Hill Raceway crowds of the season who stayed up, some with kids sound asleep in their laps or over their shoulder, to watch THR perennial front-runner Tommy Gural lead all 101 laps of the scheduled 125-lapper.

Brad Hudak, fifth in points going into the race, set fast time, but had to settle for the 11th starting position after TSRS officials inverted the top eleven cars after a roll of the dice came up 11. Points leader Ronnie New, the second fastest qualifier, started 10th. Jeff Pollard, who was third in points going into the race, started on the back row of the 30-car field while Mike Yale, fourth in points, started fifth. Gural, second in TSRS points going in, timed in 11th fastest, but as luck would have it he ended up on the pole.

Before the race, TSRS had announced there would be a competition yellow near the mid-point of the race, but sometime during the race it was apparently decided to omit the mandatory yellow. And at some other point, it was decided to reduce the number of laps. I can only assume both decisions were made because of the late hour. Whatever the reasons, the decision to omit the mandatory pit stop may have cost Hudak a fourth place finish as he apparently ran out of gas on the 99th circuit, one lap from the end. Hudak pitted under the final yellow and rejoined the field just ahead of the leader to finish 15th, the last car on the lead lap.

They had a hard time getting the race under way as David Snokhous and James Reeder (and maybe more) spun down the front straight as the green flag flew. The restart was interesting since the 30 cars had a hard time getting up to speed during the caution period. Just like with any traffic jam, some cars were accelerating while others were braking making the field look like an accordion at times until they all got up to speed again.

The race itself was slowed by 11 caution periods (best guess as to actual lap)

1) Lap 1 - David Snokhous and James Reeder spin down the front straight. Reeder pits but rejoins the field. Snokhous was able to continue.

2) Lap 15 - Lloyd Alexander and Robert Stewart get together as Alexander attempts get pass Stewart on the inside of turns 1 and 2. Alexander has major bodywork damage, but pits and rejoins the field at some point.

3) Lap 20 – Robert Stewart and Keith Sandefur tangle after Stewart gets loose in 1 – 2 and Sanderfur gets into him at the beginning of the back straight. Both slide into the infield. Sanderfur unable to continue. Stewart continues.

4) Lap 30 something – Debris from the 5 car on front straight.

5) Lap 44 – John Hernandez spins in turn 1.

6) Lap 45 - Steve Riggs (driving a car with a 57 Chevy replica body) spins in turn 4.

7) Lap 68 – John Hernandez spins in turn 4. Ryan Engelhardt makes contact, gets a flat, spins down the front straight.

8) Lap 73 – Wild melee involving several cars going down front straight. Todd McLemore looses tire from rim spins wildly. Jamie Fuller also involved. Neither able to continue. Robert Stewart, Steve Riggs, Michael Jones and probably several others also involved, but able to continue.

9) Lap 92 – Stewart spins solo in turn 3.

10) Lap 90 something - Jeff Pollard, Damon Bean, and Mike Yale (maybe more) spin on back straight. Everyone gets to keep their position.

11) Next to last lap – Damon Bean spins and David Snokhous also spins both on the back straight, but apparently independently of each other. Brad Hudak pits while running fourth. May have been out of gas.

Gural headed a freight train for the entire race, but Leland Waddell could never mount a serious challenge for the lead. If he had gone to the outside to pass, he would have lost several positions as several cars were poised right behind him to take over second if he had gone for the lead.

Please be aware that these are simply my observations from the grandstands and that I did not have access to any radio communications. In fact, where I was sitting I couldn’t even here the PA systems except during caution periods. If I have screwed up somewhere I’m sorry.

Nick Holt

Chuck,

In comparing the original "TSRS Official" results with the "Revised" results, I find many differences.

Please confirm the changes:

Name change: Richard Norman (40) to Craig Roper(40)

Name change: Robert Elizondo (98) to Tommie Temple (98)

Place change: James Reeder (4) moves from 11th (101 laps) to 18th (77 laps)

Place change: Mike Yale (50) moves from 12th (101 laps to 11th (101 laps)

Place change: Tommie Temple (90) moves from 13th (101 laps) to 12th (101 laps)

Place change: Chris Schild (7) moves from 14th (101 laps) to 13th (101 laps)

Place change: Brad Hudak (04) moves from 15th (101 laps) to 14th (101 laps)

Place change: Matt Brune (18) moves from 18th (91 laps) to 15th (91 laps)

Place change: Robert Stewart (22) moves from 19th (89 laps) to 16th (89 laps)

Place change: Damon Bean (44) moves from 16th (99 laps) to 19th (77 laps)

Place change: Lloyd Alexander (5) moves from 25th (68 laps) to 20th (76 laps)

Place change: Todd McLemore (54) moves from 20th (73 laps) to 21st (73 laps)

Place change: Jamie Fuller (48) moves from 21st (73 laps) to 20th (73 laps)

Lap change: Steve Riggs (57) 70 laps to 67 laps (Place stays the same)

Lap change: Gary Harvey (60) 69 laps to 66 laps (Place stays the same)

Place change: Ryan Engelhardt (53) moves from 26th (65 laps) to 25th (65 laps)

Place change: John Hernandez (24) moves from 22nd (71 laps) to 26th (54 laps)

Lap change: Richard Hearn (21) 48 laps to 41 laps (Place stays the same)

Lap change: Keith Sanderfur (88) 20 laps to 19 laps (Place stays the same)

Nick Holt

Going by my sign in sheets Richard Norman was driving the #40 car. He drives it each week he races at THR.

Also, on the #98 car, the driver that signed in was Richard Elizord... something. Can't read it to well. But, they might have changed drivers on these cars after signing in.

James REEDER #4 name is spelled incorrectly and so is the #21 Richard HEARN.

Kathy

In comparing the original "TSRS Official" results with the "Revised" results, I find many differences.

Please confirm the changes:

Name change:  Richard Norman (40) to Craig Roper(40)

Name change:  Robert Elizondo (98) to Tommie Temple (98)

Name correction: James "Reeder" (4)

Nick Holt

Nick,

Thank you for your observations. I have made the following corrections, to answer those questions.

Thanks.

Archived