Biggest races in asphalt?

STAGGER77

The TD Banknorth 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway in Maine is one of the biggest LM shows in the country every year. Check out the entry list!!!!!!

Here is the latest release about the next 250. Someone we all know is scheduled to compete this year.

Nick

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two-time NASCAR Cup champion Terry Labonte enters TD Banknorth 250

'Texas Terry' last competed at OPS in June 1992

OXFORD, Maine - One of NASCAR’s living legends will continue the recent tradition of Nextel Cup champions competing in the TD Banknorth 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway.

Terry Labonte, who won stock car racing’s top prize in 1984 and 1996 and was named one of NASCAR’s 50 greatest drivers of all-time in 1998, has entered the 34th annual late model extravaganza on Sunday, July 22.

Labonte, 50, plans to compete in a car prepared by Richard Moody Racing out of its spacious race shop in Auburn. He will attempt to make his fourth career start in the TD Banknorth 250 as a teammate to two-time race champion Ben Rowe of Turner. Labonte qualified for the OPS crown jewel in 1983, 1986 and 1992, with a best finish of 17th in his third try.

“I’m excited to get back to Oxford and be part of that great TD Banknorth 250 tradition,” Labonte said. “My family has roots in the Rumford area, and I’ve always been fortunate to have a lot of friends and fans up there. It’s a race I have always wanted to win, and I believe this is going to be my best chance yet.”

Known as one of the most versatile and durable drivers in the history of stock car racing, Labonte won 22 races in a Nextel Cup career that spanned 29 seasons. With 182 top-5 finishes and 361 top-10 showings in 848 starts, Labonte won $36.5 million prize money in NASCAR’s premier series.

While some drivers specialize in super speedways, short tracks or road courses, one secret to Labonte’s consistency over the years has been his strength on all configurations. Among his Nextel Cup race victories were four at cozy North Wilkesboro, three at high-banked Bristol and two each at full-throttle Talladega, rough-and-tumble Darlington and triangular Pocono.

Of Labonte’s 11 checkered flags in the NASCAR Busch Series, he earned four on the twists and turns of the road course at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International. Labonte is part of the elite group of drivers to win at least one race in all three of NASCAR’s national touring series. He scored a Craftsman Truck Series victory at Richmond, Va., in his third and final truck start during the division’s inaugural season of 1995.

“It’s an honor to have Terry Labonte drive one of our cars,” said team owner Richard Moody. “We love racing. We race different cars in different series all over the country, and Terry has always been that kind of driver, also. He still has that competitive fire, and I don’t think it will take him much time at all to show everyone that he hasn’t forgotten how to get around Oxford.”

Two RMR cars qualified for last year’s TD Banknorth 250. Rowe won a heat race and led several early laps before he was involved in a crash. Trevor Sanborn finished sixth in his first 250 start.

Richard Moody Racing and Rowe have tuned up for the 2007 season by competing in a series of winter all-star races in Florida and Alabama. They are sponsored by Hancock Lumber, Richard Moody and Sons Construction Co., LLC, BBI Waste and Rapid Ralph Concrete Foundations and Floors.

A native of Corpus Christi, Texas, Labonte is already one of nine Nextel Cup champions to compete in the TD Banknorth 250. Kurt Busch (2004) and Matt Kenseth (2004, 2005) joined the ranks in recent years. The others are Terry’s brother Bobby Labonte, Jeff Gordon, Bobby Allison, Darrell Waltrip, Dale Jarrett and Rusty Wallace. Four drivers with NASCAR ties -- Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, J.J. Yeley and Ricky Craven -- raced in the TD Banknorth 250 last summer.

“Terry Labonte is one of the great ambassadors of the sport, and it’s a thrill to welcome him back to Oxford Plains Speedway,” said OPS owner Bill Ryan. “His record speaks for itself. He is a true champion, and the TD Banknorth 250 is certainly a race of champions again this year. This goes to show that you never know who may decide to give it a shot.”

Labonte’s father, Bob, was born and raised in Western Maine before relocating to the south. Elder son Terry turned his first competitive laps in a quarter midget at age 7. Two years later, he won a national championship. He is now a member of the quarter midget national hall of fame.

After winning two stock car championships in Texas in the mid-1970s, Labonte formed a partnership with NASCAR team owner Billy Hagan. They joined forces for the first time in 1978 in Darlington, S.C., finishing fourth. Labonte would later win his first (1980) and last (2003) career Cup races at Darlington.

Driving the Piedmont Airlines #44, Labonte steered Hagan’s team to the series championship in 1984. After a successful run with Junior Johnson and a second stint with Hagan, Labonte enjoyed a resurgence with Hendrick Motorsports in 1994.

Labonte won eight races in the Kellogg’s Corn Flakes #5 over the next three seasons, punctuated by a second Cup championship.

“Terry was one of those drivers I always admired growing up,” said Ben Rowe, who won back-to-back TD Banknorth 250 titles in 2003 and 2004. “He is a clean racer, but a hard-nosed racer, too. To me, he will always be the ‘Iron Man.’ He and Dale Earnhardt had those two great finishes at Bristol that none of us will ever forget. It‘s going to be a blast working with him.”

In 1996, Labonte broke what was then the record for most consecutive Cup starts, eclipsing Richard Petty by competing in his 655th straight event. Two years later, he was named to NASCAR’s list of all-time greats in honor of the sanctioning body’s 50th anniversary. Eleven of those 50 drivers have competed in the TD Banknorth 250.

Driving a part-time schedule at the helm of the #96 Hall of Fame Racing machine for Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, Labonte proved in 2006 that he still has the touch to compete at the highest level. He led the road course event at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., with only a handful of laps remaining before finishing third.

As demonstrated by the continuing success of his contemporaries Mark Martin and Ricky Rudd, Labonte would surprise nobody if he added his name to the list of legendary TD Banknorth 250 winners.

“It’s a fun race, but it’s a tough, tough race,” Labonte said. “I remember the first time we tried to qualify, we looked around and saw something like 100 other cars. I’m hearing that they’ve already broken that record by a bunch. You just have to get up on the steering wheel and go after it.”

Labonte was one of 106 drivers to make a qualifying attempt in the previous record season of 1983. His entry into the 2007 event is the 166th to date. With a return to the race’s roots as a late model event, the TD Banknorth 250 rules are open to literally hundreds of drivers throughout New England and Canada.

The winner’s share remains a minimum of $25,000, with the potential to double that total by earning lap-leader bonus money at $100 per turn. Drivers will draw for starting position in a series of 20-lap heat races, setting the tone for what promises to be the wildest qualifying session in TD Banknorth 250 history.

This year’s TD Banknorth 250 is also part of the L-A Harley Davidson Late Model Challenge, a five-race loop with a sizable point fund. The race rounds out a three-day weekend of competition sponsored by New England Dodge Dealers. Reserved seats for Sunday’s race are available now by calling (207) 539-8865, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

2007 TD BANKNORTH 250 ENTRIES (As of March 13, 2007)

Adams, Travis, Canton, Maine

Ailes, Bob Sr., St. Johnsbury, Vt.

Allard, Karl, Valcourt, Quebec

Anzalone, Mark Jr., Malden, Mass.

Avery, David, North Woodstock, N.H.

Bailey, Michael, South Barre, Vt.

Baillargeon, Bobby, Nottingham, N.H.

Baird, Ken, North Gower, Ontario

Baril, J.R., Haverhill, Mass.

Barsalow, Chuck, North Hero, Vt.

Becker, Joey, Jeffersonville, Vt.

Bedard, Yvon, St. Nicolas, Quebec

Begin, A.J., Merrimac, Mass.

Bellefleur, Gary, Stetson, Maine

Bellerose, Tracie, Gorham, N.H.

Benjamin, Travis, Morrill, Maine

Berger, Rusty, South Burlington, Vt.

Bergeron, Daniel, St. Benoit, Quebec

Bessett, Blair, Worcester, Vt.

Bodwell, Robert, Alfred, Maine

Bowie, Chris, New Gloucester, Maine

Brackett, T.J., Buckfield, Maine

Brackett, Tim, Buckfield, Maine

Brill, Jon, Bridgton, Maine

Brown, Fred, Winterport, Maine

Brown, Roger, Lancaster, N.H.

Bryant, Cecil, Wilton, Maine

Bushey, Craig, Cambridge, Vt.

Cahoon, Stacy, St. Johnsbury, Vt.

Cahoon, Tyler, Danville, Vt.

Cameron, David, Alfred, Maine

Caron, Sam, Colchester, Vt,

Chagnon, David, Colchester, Vt.

Charpentier, Ron Jr., Wales, Maine

Chiasson, Gary, Peru, Maine

Clark, Brooks, Fayston, Vt.

Clark, Russ, Littleton, N.H.

Colby, Charlie, Newcastle, Maine

Colby, Chuck, Wiscasset, Maine

Colby, Dan, Lyman, N.H.

Collins, Mike, Strafford, N.H.

Coombs, Doug, Livermore, Maine

Cullivan, Dale, Palermo, Maine

Curioso, Joe, Pawcatuck, Conn.

Curtis, Marc Jr., Spencer, Mass.

Cyr, Jean Paul, Milton, Vt.

Davis, Brockton, Whitefield, N.H.

Decker, Joe, Chesterville, Maine

Decker, Skip, Farmington, Maine

Demers, Dennis, Shelburne, Vt.

Demers, Trampas, South Burlington, Vt.

Dery, Jean, Francois Quebec City, Quebec

Dickey, Steven Jr., Manchester, N.H.

Dragon, Brent, Milton, Vt.

Dragon, Scott, Colchester, Vt.

Donahue, John, Graniteville, Vt.

Doucette, Darren, Sidney, Maine

Dufour, Ken, Bethlehem, N.H.

Dumas, John, Brockton, Mass.

Fearn, Tom, Longmeadow, Mass.

Fecteau, Pete, Morrisville, Vt.

Ferguson, Mike, Rangeley, Maine

Fisher, Jamie, Shelburne, Vt.

Fisher, Steve, Shelburne, Vt.

Folsom, Grant, Waitsfield, Vt.

Garnett, Lloyd, Nova Scotia

Geno, Zig, Canterbury, N.H.

Gratton, Pierre, Mirabel, Quebec

Grenier, Alain Jr., Northfield, Vt.

Hagar, Katie, Nobleboro, Maine

Harclerode, Jeremy, Newmarket, N.H.

Henry, Ron, New Gloucester, Maine

Hersom, Craig, Rochester, N.H.

Hoar, Brian, Williston, Vt.

Hussey, Bob, Wellfleet, Mass.

Jurkowski, Mike, Claremont, N.H.

Kennington, D.J., St. Thomas, Ontario

Kennison, Chris, Oxford, Maine

Kimball, Kevin, South Portland, Maine

King, Scott, Livermore Falls, Maine

Kirby, Tim, Carleton Place, Ontario

Kruczek, Bryan, Newmarket, N.H.

Labonte, Terry, Corpus Christi, Texas

LaChance, Chuck, Cushing, Maine

Lamberton, Mark, Mooers Forks, N.Y.

Lanphear, Dwayne, Morrisville, Vt.

Laperle, Patrick, St. Denis, Quebec

Laquerre, Jay, East Montpelier, Vt.

Laquerre, Joey, East Montpelier, Vt.

Larmie, Keith, Milton, N.H.

Leclerc, Claude, Montreal, Quebec

Leiter, Erick, Livermore Falls, Maine

Linardy, James, Malden, Mass.

Lowrey, Rich, Charlotte, Vt.

MacDonald, Dave, New Gloucester, Maine

MacDonald, Eddie, Rowley, Mass.

MacPherson, Spencer, Carleton Place, Ontario

Macrino, Tony, Waterford, Conn.

Martel, Glenn, Belmont, N.H.

Martin, Carey, Denmark, Maine

Martin, Shawn, Turner, Maine

McClure, Brian, Buxton, Maine

Michaud, Cris, Williamstown, Vt.

Moffitt, Matt, North Gower, Ontario

Moore, Scott, Anson, Maine

Morgan, Corey, Lewiston, Maine

Munro, Stephen, Carp, Ontario

Nealey, Ray, Coventry, R.I.

Nolin, Ryan, Georgia, Vt.

Patten, Mark, Belmont, N.H.

Payea, Scott, Milton, Vt.

Pembroke, Dave, Middlesex, Vt.

Pendergast, Tim, Swanville, Maine

Perreault, Joe, Plainfield, Vt.

Peters, Greg, Westbrook, Maine

Phippen, John Jr., Bar Harbor, Maine

Polewarczyk, Joey, Hudson, N.H.

Potter, Randy, Groveton, N.H.

Potvin, Pete, Graniteville, Vt.

Poulin, Cal, Braintree, Vt.

Raven, Seth, Waldo, Maine

Remick, Oren, Warner, N.H.

Reny, Steve, Boothbay, Maine

Ricker, Tommy, Poland, Maine

Riopelle, Dave, Dunrobin, Ontario

Robbins, Scott, Dixfield, Maine

Rolfe, Ricky, Albany Township, Maine

Rollins, Mike, Williamstown, Vt.

Rowe, Ben, Turner, Maine

Rowe, Mike, Turner, Maine

St. Clair, Dave, Liberty, Maine

St. Clair, Josh, Liberty, Maine

St. Clair, Puncin, Liberty, Maine

Scott, Phil, Montpelier, Vt.

Sessions, Sam, South Paris, Maine

Shaw, Dale, Center Conway, N.H.

Shaw, Dale Jr., Center Conway, N.H.

Snow, Frank, Bridgton, Maine

Spencer, Dennis Jr., Norway, Maine

Starbird, Mark, Harrison, Maine

Stevens, Rob, Aberdeen, N.C.

Sullivan, Chuck, Epping, N.H.

Swanson, John, Acton, Mass.

Switser, Howard, West Burke, Vt.

Theetge, Donald, Boischatel, Quebec

Thompson, Robbie, Southampton, Ontario

Tompkins, Tommy, Mexico, Maine

Tower, Robert, Lunenburg, N.H.

Trask, Dan, Chelsea, Maine

Tripp, Earl, Standish, Maine

Turner, Randy, Unity, Maine

Valentine, Rick, Greene, Maine

Vanasse, Ryan, Warwick, N.H.

Varney, Joshua, Dalzell, S.C.

Verrill, Dale, South Paris, Maine

Weber, Dean, Weare, N.H.

Welch, Quint, Lancaster, N.H.

Wentworth, Don, Otisfield, Maine

Whitcomb, Dave, Essex Junction, Vt.

White, Jeff, Winthrop, Maine

Whitlock, Dave, Wyoming, Ontario

Whorff, Bill Jr., Topsham, Maine

Whorff, Jeremie, Bath, Maine

Wilcox, Dave, Fairfield, Vt.

Williams, Eric, Hyde Park, Vt.

Wimble, Owen Jr., Waitsfield, Vt.

myrtle beach speedway had over 100 latemodels (nascar) 30 or so super trucks (super late models with a truck body) and about 200 cars in the various other classes in 1998 im sure it is as big now as it was then. martinsville speedway used to hold a big latemodel race called the taco bell 300 last time i heard there were over 100 entries for it. i know it has been a while since i have been out there but in that part of the country i dont see why it would change.

The All American 400 at Nashville Fairgrounds in Tennessee which runs in late season usually Oct or Nov. Last year they had over two hundred late models entered. Eventual winner was Fast Eddie Hoffman who was at SAS in March this year. Finished second here.

Sad part about this great annual event is that the fairgrounds board is considering not renewing the racing lease after it expires in two more years. Sad because that is a class track.

The All American 400 at Nashville Fairgrounds in Tennessee which runs in late season usually Oct or Nov. Last year they had over two hundred late models entered. Eventual winner was Fast Eddie Hoffman who was at SAS in March this year. Finished second here.

Sad part about this great annual event is that the fairgrounds board is considering not renewing the racing lease after it expires in two more years. Sad because that is a class track.

Well, what do I know? I thought the fairgrounds was already gone once the new Nashville Superspeedway was built...I attended the '91 All American 400 and it was a great show (even saw Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip that year)....even in my dirt days in PA that was a race I had always wanted to see because I read so much about it in SCR Magazine....glad I was able to check it off....maybe I can sneak up there one more time.

Well, what do I know? I thought the fairgrounds was already gone once the new Nashville Superspeedway was built...I attended the '91 All American 400 and it was a great show (even saw Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip that year)....even in my dirt days in PA that was a race I had always wanted to see because I read so much about it in SCR Magazine....glad I was able to check it off....maybe I can sneak up there one more time.

My younger brother lives in Smyrna, Tn and visits both tracks regularly. Since the new track only runs specials, the fairgrounds still runs weekly shows on Saturday nights. Its just the local guys but they field plenty of race cars from that area. They also run the mini's and legend cars there too.

My brother said that the fairgrounds board has tried to stop racing there ever since the new track opened but the racing lease was still valid for a few more years. What most people know that the fair board is oblivious too is that the biggest draw to that fairgrounds is the racing programs as the only other thing they have there is the annual state fair. I wish it were possible to simply extract that track from there and airlift it to somewhere around here because that is an excellent 5/8th mile track especially since they repaved it about two years ago.

post-2135-1182263273_thumb.jpg

I've been to the fairgrounds, but was on my way to Knoxville TN for an NDRA race and they weren't racing at the fairground when we were there. It is a nice facility though. Pretty good Marty Robbins story on the fairgrounds. I'll post it on one of the other forums when I get a chance.

The All American 400 had about 130 latemodels, but that was for 2 races. It was for the CRA superlatemodels and the ASA latemodels. Kind of the same thing as the Snowball Derby and the Snowflake 100 during Snowball week which usually has between 125 and 140 latemodels total.

The All American 400 had about 130 latemodels, but that was for 2 races. It was for the CRA superlatemodels and the ASA latemodels. Kind of the same thing as the Snowball Derby and the Snowflake 100 during Snowball week which usually has between 125 and 140 latemodels total.

I may have came up with the wrong total because I got the information from two separate websites. The CRA site had listed the 130 and the ASA site had listed around 65 to 70. But it could have been that some of the entrys appeared on both list and I did not check them for duplication. Either way, even 130 is a bunch of cars when you figure a lot less than that will start the race. :)

The biggest Nascar Late Model Stock race (Baileys 300: 200 laps main event, and 100 laps of heat racing) is held yearly in Martinsville VA around Oct. 1. Draws over 25,000 spectators.

In 2006, there were 101 entries trying to make the 42 car starting field. Twenty-two get in based upon time trials and provisionals. The rest make the race based upon several heat race finishes (heats lined up according to time trials).

http://www.martinsvillespeedway.com/news/t...ews/526388.html

In 1998, there were 132 entries when Brandon Bendele tried to make the show.

Martinsville is unique with its concrete corners. During practices and qualifying, one could watch the sky for clouds. Whenever a cloud blocked the sun, everyone's lap times would immediately improve by 2 tenths; when the sun reappeared, then the lap times would immediately fall 2 tenths. In 1998, qualifying 132 cars (draw for qualifying position) took several hours. Many of the first 80 cars that qualified in the cloudy morning hours made the race (either top 22 qualifiers or prime heat race starting spots). When the 118th car (Brandon) took to the track for qualifying, the sun was beaming brightly. Two tenths is a huge margin for a closely competitive Late Model Stock field. There were some top racers thought to be pole contenders that timed when the sun was shining. The astounded track officials stopped qualifying to look for oil slicks, etc. on the track.... but it was just the sun!

• 4 weeks later...
Nick,

Tom could proly tell us who the people are in the background.

Wish I could, but I have not been to that area for a race. We have heard about that race from a distance for years, maybe a little because of Terry's presence in a few of them. Maybe also just the prestige of the event. This race could be considered the Snowball Derby of th Northeast. I am not putting one over the other, just trying to express the importance of this event to the Northeast racers.

Snowball

Do you mean that the cars are different than last year for this years snowball

Joe,

The CRA cars are basically the SLM (Snowball) cars we all know, and the ASA cars are the crates(snowflake). Nothing will change from last year to this year on the Derby or flake cars.

By looking @ the entry list I would bet it will be a awsome race. I'll be heading up there on Friday (12 hour drive <_< ) but I'll be sure to take pics and post them when I get back. They are saying about 175 entrys with Terry Labonte ( :lol: thank GOD there will be another Texan there :lol: ) & Kevin Lepage on that list among many other big names. Here is an article I found on their website.

-----------------------------------------------

175 drivers, 145 championships

on TD Banknorth 250 entry list

OXFORD, Maine - Much has been written and said about Oxford Plains Speedway’s record number of 175 entries for the TD Banknorth 250 Presented By New England Dodge Dealers on Sunday, July 22.

When weighed together, those drivers produce what is arguably an even more amazing number.

The entrants in this year’s TD Banknorth 250 have combined for 145 series championships, track headline division championships or wins in the Oxford summer classic. Fifty of the drivers on the entry list (28.6 percent) have contributed at least one title to that incredible collection of hardware.

“I was astonished when I saw the list," said OPS owner Bill Ryan. “The stars are clearly flocking to the TD Banknorth 250 this year."

Mike Rowe of Turner contributed 14 crowns to the roundup, including TD Banknorth 250 titles in 1984, 1997 and 2005. Rowe is also a seven-time Oxford champion, a Wiscasset Raceway champion and the conqueror of three different Pro Stock touring divisions.

Holding up more than his end of the bargain is Rowe’s son, Ben, who boasts two TD Banknorth 250 triumphs among his nine elite championships.

Robbie Crouch, Jean-Paul Cyr and Brian Hoar each have scored seven top-shelf titles. Tom Fearn chips in six titles to the take, with Karl Allard, Jamie Aube, Claude Leclerc and Phil Scott owning five apiece.

The complete rundown:

Adams, Travis

2003 OPS Late Model

2006 OPS Late Model

Allard, Karl

1999 Serie ADL Tobacco

2000 Serie ADL Tobacco

2001 Serie ADL Tobacco

2001 Chicoutimi Late Model

2003 Serie ADL Tobacco

Aube, Jamie

1987 TD Banknorth 250