Saginaw Transmission

zoom

I am a low buck, poor, unsponsored racer. So I have to learn and do for myself. So I want to pick all of the experienced racers and wrenches brains on building a saginaw 3 speed. Lets say for the ratio that it has no rings, and I want to build it for SAS rules in the sportsman class.

What do I NOT do?

What should I do?

What are you doing?

If you care to share any secrets that you don't want to divulge in the thread, please PM me. all PM's will be kept confidential.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I don't think you can remove any gears by rule but if you can then do so. Some basics are to replace the tailshaft/driveshaft bushing/ side cover/shifter bushings. Plug the speedo hole and remove the plastic gear. Replace the side cover springs with heavier aftermarket ones. (even GM sells them) Those'll help stop getting stuck in 2 gears. If the front shaft bearing surface looks good then use a needle bearing in the crankshaft. If it's a bit pitted/ugly use a bushing/Synthetic grease and change it often. Aligning the bellhousing to the crankshaft is critical and Synthetic oil is an absolute must since many parts inside aren't on roller bearings. Don't use RTV on the gaskets unless it's in a pinch.

Good luck!

Archived