HELP - tire options for TSRS car

roadracer

I am building a TSRS car and would also like to do some road course races in other series. The car has a fabricated over the rear axle rear clip with a 60" Ford 9" housing. I can run 10" tires with the road course series but the tires rub the inner frame rail (using 1" spacers) and If I go with a deeper offset wheel (from a 4.5" offset to a 3" offset) the tires stick out beyond the quarter and widen the rear tracking significantly.

Considering the TSRS cars have to run the 8" in rim, what American Racer tire are they running to get the maximum tire width? I have Aero 15" by 9.5" width wheels and I noticed American Racer make a 9" tread width tire (26.0/9.0/15) for rims that are 8" to 9" in width. Would I be able to run this tire a 9.5" rim without problems or should I just use this tire on an 8" inch rim for a max of 9" tread width?

Also, what are the TSRS guys running (using 5 X 5s) to get the max tire width? What offset in the 8" wheels are common for TSRS cars? Thanks for your help.

The TSRS series runs the Hoosier F53 tire, not an American Racer tire. The F53 is an 8" tire, but the actual tread width is like 9.5 or so. I don't think that tire should be mounted on anyting but an 8" rim.

As far as the most common wheel offset, I can't answer that one. I have a feeling it varies from car to car with 3" probably being the most common, depending on what is needed to obtain maximum track width.

Thanks for the help. Do you see any downside to using the American Racer Tire as far as performance? Nothing against Hoosier at all but considering American Racer makes a 9" tire, that would give me 4 additional inches of tire around the car which would help on the road course races.

Thanks again.

I'm not familiar enough with the AR tires to really comment on that. From our very limited experience with the AR tires, I don't care much for them, but the tire we messed with was a different one entirely than the one you are considering. One thought that crosses my mind is that you might be better off just sticking with one tire (the F53) so that you wouldn't have to buy a whole set when you race with TSRS.

When they were doin the test at SAS I think AR's 100 lap average was better. Not much quicker but more consistent.

don't mean to disagree there buddy , but the AR is the most inconsistent tire i've ever run - after forty laps they are junk , and that is even when you try to be nice to them.

don't know who was testing , but i strongly disagree with them to.

12 or 13 years ago SAS published the results of a head to head tire comparison of McCrearys (now American Rcer) and Hoosiers in Short Track Racing Magazine.

Without going into any detail, the Hoosiers won by a fairly large margin.

I think the actual results are posted somewhere here on TXSZ, but I didn't find them right away.

Nick

I agree that Goodyear has made some significant changes in their racing tires over the past decade, or so. As the 800-pound gorilla of the racing tire world, Goodyear has taken the lead in developing new manufacturing methods, compounds and tire construction. Obviously, tire technology plays a major role in NA$CAR and Goodyear has a leg up on the other tire manufacturers when it comes to NA$CAR.

And I also agree that Hoosier has experimented with radial tires and tire compounds following Goodyear's lead, and rumors keep popping up that perhaps Hoosier is planning to mount a second foray into NA$CAR land. Time will tell.

But, the bias-ply tires made for asphalt racing that are manufactured by Hoosier and American Racer (formerly McCreary) are pretty much the same as they were 15 years ago.

As you know, American Racer purchased McCreary a few years back, but all that really changed was the marketing, distribution and management systems used by the new company. Their tires are manufactured using the same technology tire construction methodology that McCreary used.

Nick

...and there is a reason that McCreary dropped out of the short track scene about 10-15 years ago. Hoosier expanded and took there place. Horse is correct, they are not a consistent tire. Thats not good for short track racers. We dont have the luxury of trying to hold on till the next pitstop to bolt on a new set. JMO

Archived