Ryan Newman

Lonestar88

I think he earned that win. He stayed in the hunt all day and made the best of the rule as it is written. Once he got back on the lead lap, he raced for it. I'm sure some will say he didn't earn it, but he wouldn't have been there if his car was not right on.

cs

Yeah, one tank plus what's in the roll cage, plus what's in his Thermos bottle...

Every time one of those guys makes a "fuel" run like that, I hark back to Smokey Yunick getting in his car and driving it away while the NASCAR inspectors had the fuel tank out of the car and sitting on the floor of the tech shed.

it seemed like he only pitted three times for tires and gas. when he made it to the end the only thing i could say was wow and were did he hide the fuel. we talked abut were he could have put it, lol. that was good race. congrats to ryan newman and the whole crew, without a few flips he would be a good run at mr kenseth.

Keith, are you gonna wave off the competition yellow on Saturday and stay out on the track. Go for the fuel mileage. Oops , I guess its mandatory to pit. I think we could make the run on 15 gal. if we run it like we did in Houston. LOL Thanks for letting me borrow your cast iron! It was fun! :D I am gonna feel like Barney Fife with a new bullet.

Not to give away any secrets, but ......

What if someone decided to use part of their oil pan (or oil reservoir in the case of a dry sump) as a gas tank. Everyone knows those oil systems use gallons of oil, but what if a team figured out a way to keep things lubed and the oil cool without using all that oil. Couldn't they partition off part of the oil pan or reservoir to come up with a spot to store some extra gas just in case you need it at the end of a race? And everyone knows that the line that goes off from the pan (or reservoir) is just an oil temp sending line, right? Who would suspect it is actually a gas line too?

And don't forget that there are lots of hollow spaces inside the drive train where an enterprising team could store a quart or two of a liquid.

I'm sure you have heard of other systems like Smokey's roll cage.

But, oh wait. Isn't hiding extra gas cheating? LOL

Nick Holt

Keith, If you need any help, just hollar. I'm volunteering our crew, although they don't know it yet. You know where we are, and we'll be happy to do your stop.

We work cheap, too.

Tom

On the subject of Smokey and extra fuel, one Nascar rule that came about as a result of Smokey's thinking is the "maximum fuel line diameter".

He had a car that- where it runs through the interior of the car- had a fuel line about the diameter of an anaconda snake. Wonder how much that one held.

Keith , to answer your original post, I think the no race to yellow was a good thing and I really don't beleive that the lap back thing helped Newman that much by the way he was running, he showed he had the car. I think he would have done as well. His strategy may have been different. I bet Jeremy Mayfield was wishing he was in his old ride. Wonder what he thought about the way it looked from the back? He didn't seem to pleased at the post race interview.

Wow! Amazing how a thread can be started with one topic, then go completely another way! LOL :D

Keith...as for the no race to the yellow, I think Newman was too fast on this day anyways..I LOVE the no race to yellow rule in NASCAR, I'm sure a lot of Old School drivers are saying "where the heck has that rule been?"

Also..if you need more crew (You're running TSRS, right?), you've had others step up and volunteer..I can probably get one or two more guys to help out if you so desire..let us know!

Archived