HMP Pro Late Model Wreckfest

Sonic Racing

Thought everyone would be interested about last nights Pro Late Model race. What a freakin mess! We had some really bad driving last night that caused numerous cautions and alot of torn up equipment.

I really feel that this full field inversion is the culprit for the problems. Slow cars up front, fast cars in back, 19 cars, impatient drivers, =receipe for disaster!

These cars cost too much to go out and drive like your in a destruction derby. I think almost every car in the field had some sort of damage!

I think I am done with racing at HMP unless they do something about this. Inverting some cars, 6 to 8 would be acceptable but when you have 18 to 20 cars inverted the back of the field gets so stacked up they cant keep from running into each other. I personally don't have the time and can not afford to keep repairing my car after every race. And I know of several others that feel the same way.

The late models were the third from the last feature. Mods were last.

There were 18 or 19 cars. Sirizotti won it. Young was second, Lloyd Alexander third.

There was not a car anywhere without some kind of damage on it.

There was a time when we all did full field inverts. But now, with spotters driving most of the cars, it simply does not work. When you have cars a half second slower a lap than the fast guys fighting tooth and nail for every spot, you will have wrecks like last night.

Add to that some of the calls. Turn the guy in front of ya, keep your spot. Happened all race.

And I was surprised that the wrecks did not start until after the green flag. They gave about 6 or 7 warm up laps under the green/yellow, and some of those clowns were going at it like it was the white flag lap.

How about stopping on the track to avoid two other cars who got together in front of you, bringing out the caution? Then, while you are waiting for those two to get separated, so you can go on, the race LEADER, under caution, comes around and nails you square in the ass? The caution had been out for over a half lap when that one happened. I am sure it didn't hurt our car bad, except for the motor is a half inch back, the rear frame rails are bent up, not to mention the body and wallet.

Another stellar crowd last night, coupled with what ended up being one of the sorriest late model races I have seen in awhile, and the modified incident, and I think my team has just freed up some saturday nights..

TxTom, you guys should buy a truck and come race some dirt and asphalt with us.

I was part of one of the original ARTS teams to ever run in Texas, from back in 1998. The Terry Brooks team. My current team driver (Eddy Wallace) was another ARTS team.

I think we both agree that we will quit racing before we ever go back to a truck.

Please do not take this personally, I did not intend it that way. We both have a lot of friends in trucks, and I still enjoy watching them race. I was at Pleasanton when Rusty won up there a month ago.

But the negative experience of the original ARTS management still lingers. And it is too long a story to type here; catch me at a race somewhere, and I will be happy to tell you more.

But the negative experience of the original ARTS management still lingers. And it is too long a story to type here; catch me at a race somewhere, and I will be happy to tell you more.

I would love to hear, I will be in Pleasanton this Friday, see you then?

I don't know yet. I want to go there to watch an old friend who just started racing there, but I am finishing my infamous tiling/remodel project this next week or two. When that is done, I got about 80 feet of fence to replace thanks to an asshat neighbor's dog.

But I will stop by if I make it out there.

Already planning to be there Sunday. The current points leader in Gulf South ASCS (Johnny Miller) is an old friend from my days living in Ft Worth.

Yea but crate motors are cheap.

I guess the crate engines are the reason for the crashes :blink:, it wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of patience by the drivers. 20 cars are a lot to invert, I'm the first one to admit that, Texas racing for years has been start the fastest racer on the pole and play follow the leader for 100 laps. Drivers aren't used too being passed and passing cleanly. The idea of give and take along with respect is one of the biggest issues with asphalt racing and that will not fix itself in the short term. What your seeing is growing pains, drivers are used too being able to start last and win, which can still be done, but it's much more difficult and probably not realistic.

Why not epress alternative ideas instead of just bashing and complaining.

JMO :D

Thought everyone would be interested about last nights Pro Late Model race. What a freakin mess! We had some really bad driving last night that caused numerous cautions and alot of torn up equipment.

I really feel that this full field inversion is the culprit for the problems. Slow cars up front, fast cars in back, 19 cars, impatient drivers, =receipe for disaster!

These cars cost too much to go out and drive like your in a destruction derby. I think almost every car in the field had some sort of damage!

I think I am done with racing at HMP unless they do something about this. Inverting some cars, 6 to 8 would be acceptable but when you have 18 to 20 cars inverted the back of the field gets so stacked up they cant keep from running into each other. I personally don't have the time and can not afford to keep repairing my car after every race. And I know of several others that feel the same way.

Noone in the class likes "full field"inverts,Graham himself told me he voted against it.He said it was the competition committee who voted this in.I have already made this same argument on this board and to Graham himself.I also have talked to alot of teams at the track about this and nobody I talked to likes it."EVERYONE"in this class needs to speak up in the drivers meeting and be heard.We need to find out who is on this"committee"and talk them into inverting only 1/2.Between tore up race cars and less purse pay-out I don't know how much more the racer can overcome.The people in the stands are coming from the "pits" whats going to happen when that stops????

Yea but crate motors are cheap.

I guess the crate engines are the reason for the crashes :blink:, it wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of patience by the drivers. 20 cars are a lot to invert, I'm the first one to admit that, Texas racing for years has been start the fastest racer on the pole and play follow the leader for 100 laps. Drivers aren't used too being passed and passing cleanly. The idea of give and take along with respect is one of the biggest issues with asphalt racing and that will not fix itself in the short term. What your seeing is growing pains, drivers are used too being able to start last and win, which can still be done, but it's much more difficult and probably not realistic.

Why not epress alternative ideas instead of just bashing and complaining.

JMO :D

All involved rule(as much as I hate it) and 1/2 field inverts for starters.

the class is going to have growing pains. full field inverts with 20 cars are not good.let them get used to racing with that many cars.and maybe you want bang uf somany cars.it never fails when you have a full house is when things like this happen.remember SA, TSRS WRECKFEST.keep trying guys.talk alot about it in the drivers meeting.TAMS did.racing is a contact sport.it cost alot too,to replace parts.but HOUSTON is a one grove track. just hope that baker girl is alright.

Since it was our first race at HMP this year we had to start dead last 18th yesterday. It was definately a long race with many cautions, many of which caused by a car that is more than a second off the pace bottling up the pack. But on the other hand we had fun trying a brand new set up and coming up through the field from last. Also for houston being a one groove track i am starting to doubt that, we had to run a couple of laps in the second groove and havent really seen a track with a better high groove in texas. One of my only complaints from this weekend is drivers spinning other people out and getting their spot back and no one going to the back at all!

lloyd did a awesome job coming from the back to 3rd, car went away after the red flag. we were happy with the car, but the race would of been better without all the yellows. the 55 car really got the short end of the stick, had a very fast car, just got caught up in other accidents. actually on the 37 i believe his spotter did tell him the 55 was there, i heard someone say he hit the gas instead of the brake.

big john

lloyd did a awesome job coming from the back to 3rd, car went away after the red flag. we were happy with the car, but the race would of been better without all the yellows. the 55 car really got the short end of the stick, had a very fast car, just got caught up in other accidents. actually on the 37 i believe his spotter did tell him the 55 was there, i heard someone say he hit the gas instead of the brake.

big john

Big John

Aaaww man that is bad,,, it happens the gas instead of the brake.... we had over heard a girl saying the spotter didn't tell him in time,,, Sorry to the spotter...

It was definately a long race with many cautions, many of which caused by a car that is more than a second off the pace bottling up the pack.

It wasn't the same one Barker had problems with at SAS was it?

10 4 tom, hate to see that happen. let us know if there is anything we can do to help get it back together.

big john

I'll give Eddy directions to your shop so he can drop it off................

Get ya'll in the groove to build those two new cars............. ;)

I'll see ya this week

Archived