Question

44SS

I have a question about a situation that developed at the ROMCO race in Houston this weekend, please dont mistake this as whinning, the question comes from my inexperience. If the car in front of you is leaking oil and its getting all over your car causing you to get loose if your too close and getting the windshield so dirty that your looking out the side window to drive, what do you do. I advised two of the officials very early in the race and they said they were aware of it. Would it be out of the question to have that car come in during a caution and check it out, if for nothing else than for safety sake, and if it checks out ok put him back in the same position? Or even pull in the car in question and the car complainning and check them both out?

P.S. -- the question and view in this post is my own and not those of the driver that i help.

44SS

I was unaware about you talking to any offical about this, but if you would tell me which car you are saying was leaking oil, I will answer your question a little better. Also any time something like this comes up, you need to come talk to after the races s I can give you the answer or get you the answer then.

Terry Barden

Also any time something like this comes up, you need to come talk to after the races s I can give you the answer or get you the answer then.

Terry,

From ROMCO's point of view I can see where asking you questions in person would be better than asking questions publicly here on Texas Speed Zone. But from the racing community's perspective I wonder if that's true.

Just wondering. Not trying to cause trouble here.

Nick Holt

After the race we were all pretty frustrated, upset, and overheated, and i personally started to come over a few times but didnt want to say anything in the heat of the moment or seem unreasonable.

And now that i am officially a tire changer, Im asking for a raise!

Nick,

I was talking about a raise from the car that i crew on, but the same math works when applied to that job. Although taking in consideration all the help that EWR has given me, i figure i will be an indentered servant untill at least the year 2080!

Nick,

I don't mind replying here at anytime, or on any issue. But I feel that if we need to talk about something that there maybe a problem with, I think we need to talk about it while it is still fresh in our heads. After all as you should know when you are trying to keep up with 25 cars and every one is talking to you on the radio you tend to forget some things. Anytime someone tells me about a car possibly leaking fluid or smoking, we will do what ever we think is best at the time. I will talk tp anyone after the races about any complaint they have once we have completed tech, and only if they have not been drinking. I think that anyone who has ever had a question about something that has happened on or off the track, they know they will get an answer as soon as possible.

Having been in the same position as driver , crew member, and crew chief, I know how upset we can be after a race, but I still it is the best time to try to get things resolved, so we don't leave there with any hard feelings.

Terry

Terry,

I saw that you were busy in tech and that was the main reason i didnt come by, you all were still in tech by the time we got loaded and were leaving. Also I think yall do a great job and have no hard feelings, I have seen you listen to complaints after several races and have always admired the way you handle things. But i think we were all physically exhausted and ready to puke or pass out, from the heat and the 150% humidity, so we loaded up. But now getting back to the question about how to contact you during a race, or if we go through 1 specific official during the race, would greatly help out.

Terry,

I agree with everything you have said, especially the part about people who have been drinking confronting you on the tech pad. Been there -- done that. It's no fun trying to reason with a drunk or two. I never had to call security, but I should have a time or two.

I know what you mean about trying to keep all the little details of a race clear in your mind. People tend think you are watching just their car, but in reality you really have lots of things that are important when you are the race director. Sometimes I would get home from SAS after calling a race and the wife would ask, "Who won?" Felt kinda silly not being able to tell her. You focus on the what you're involved with at the time.

Am pleased that you are posting here at TSZ!

Keep up the good work!

Nick Holt

44SS

The person you should direct any questions to while the race is going on is Robert Beardslee, the one with the cigar. The only time it is hard to talk to him is in Kyle because he is in the infield. But there is always someone at the entrance to the pits, so you can talk to him. I ask that the only time you talk to these people is when your driver says there is problem with another car, not to ask what lap we are on, or if you are a lap down, we really don,t have time for that. And besides if everyone has their scanners, like they are supposed to, you will always know what lap we are on. I say this because after watching how long it takes some people to get in line I am ststring to believe some don,t have them....

Terry

Archived