Press Release about THR SS driver, Doug Ayers

Pflugerville’s Ayers shooting for THR track championship

by Chuck Licata

Ten points doesn’t seem luck much when it comes to sports scores.

However, 10 points means the world – or actually, the track championship – to Pflugerville race car driver Doug Ayers, who competes in the Street Stock class at Thunder Hill Raceway (THR) in Kyle.

Ayers will go into this Saturday night’s racing at THR trailing Street Stock points leader Cary Stapp of Buda by ten points. There will be a heat race, with 25 points awarded for first place, 20 for second, 15 for third, 10 for fourth and five points for fifth place.

After that, Ayers and four other drivers, who sit only 30 points apart in the standings, will strap in for the feature race – a race that will decide the 2003 Street Stock points champion.

“At this point, I’m happy to be in contention for the points title,” Ayers said. “It’s going to come down to the last laps of the very last race. We’re just that close. It’s really up for grabs among five people.

“I think track position is going to be very important. All the cars in contention will start at the back of the pack, so a determining factor will be how many cars show up to run in the feature race. We’re going to have to have some luck, along with a good starting position. It’s going to have to be a perfect night for us, and all the breaks are going to have to go our way.”

Things have mostly gone good for Ayers and his #02 race team this season.

“No matter how things end up, it’s been a very successful season,” Ayers declared. “We’ve been all over the points standings – first, second, third, fifth – throughout the season. It’s been a long 21 weeks, and I’m happy to say I have a chance to race for the track championship. I've enjoyed running against the drivers in our class, and I feel we've all raised the competition level to a new high.”

The Pflugerville resident added, “Our Warehouse Mini-Storage of Pflugerville Chevrolet Camaro team has paid its dues. We’ve been racing at this track for five years, and this is easily the best chance we’ve had to win the title. I don’t feel we have the fastest car out on the track, but sometimes it’s a matter of being at the right place at the right time.”

Besides the members of his team, Ayers has received a lot of support from his sponsors, the lifeblood of racing at any level.

Ayers’ title sponsor is Warehouse Mini-Storage of Pflugerville. Other sponsors include Performance Plus Machine, The Sign Shop, Rogers Collision and Monarch Transmission.

Ayers concluded, “I’m excited to be right there. We’re all hungry for this title, and we’re happy to have a chance. I feel like everyone’s going to come out swinging for this one on Saturday night!”

Top Ten Street Stock Total Points as of 9-13-03

1) 99 Cary Stapp 1170

2) 02 Doug Ayers 1160

3) 2 Bobby Teer Jr. 1160

4) 3 Bobby LaFont 1145

5) 05 Marc Currey 1140

6) 33 Marvin Buck 1060

7) 73 Jim Teague 985

8) 77 Buck Basey 875

9) 32 Bruce Hinson 770

10) 36 Don Banker 610

Archived