"ANY" tire?

On the subject of any tire that fits the go no go guage being legal, txfireman911 wrote,

"By doing this you can run what ever tire your budget will allow".

While I applaud the effort to be inclusive on the tire rule, there are some unintended consequences the way it's stated. Hoosier makes compounds from as soft as F15 to as hard as F75. The "guage legal Hoosier 8" tire can be obtained in the softer F45 compound by special order. Someone with a larger budget could run better "legal" tires than any pavement modified is on right now, statewide.

I believe the more logical way to state the rule is to say the specific track tire from Houston and Austin (Goodyear) and the San Antonio American Racer will be ok along with last years RRS track tire, the Hoosier F53. Also, the treaded IMCA dirt tire could be run by a "visitor". In that way, racers can use they tires they already have instead of having to throw them out to keep up with the soft tire teams.

In the end, whoever owns the track makes the rules and has to live with the income generated by the car count and competition those rules create.

jmo

Jay

Let me read to you exactly what the rule states. Any racing tire allowed. Must meet a go-no-go gauge of 12 inches and meet at least a hardness of 57 on a tire durometer. But the track did not have new tires to test. They took the softest tire and went with that reading for the time being. With that said, the track is just trying to make it so anyone can come run. Many Pro 4 guys have tried to run the softer compound with very poor results. The tires did not make it 20 laps before they are trash and thats with around 210 hp.

"and meet at least a hardness of 57 on a tire durometer."

That's the first time thats been mentioned in these posts. I'm sure a lot of this will be put to rest when the actual rules are posted on the new website. A new F53 is around 58 on the durometer, so problem solved.

Thanks for your helpful responses.

Jay

Archived