The future

Guest THRRD

Guest THRRD

Hey Everyone.

We want everyone to that we are just as saddened about the closure of SAS as everyone else is. Although both THR and SAS have always been seen as competitors, we are still from a family of people who love asphalt short track racing. I was SAS the first day it opened, I raced, crashed, and worked there in every capacity there, so when something like this happens, it affects all of us. I have talked to number of you racers today and I know that Jack has too. We want everyone to know that we are going to sit down after this weekend and see what we can do to accomidate those left with out a track in this area.

Please let us get thru this hetic weekend and we will get something out to everyone as soon as possible. Someone posted earlier that the closing woul benefit THR from this closing, I can assure everyone, yes we want our counts to increase, but hate to see it happen this way.

Good luck to everyone no matters what happens.

Terry Barden

Thunder Hill

Terry: I was also an employee of Highway 16 Raceway (aka San Antonio Speedway) during the first year and a half when the track started in August, 1977.

I was the PA Announcer, Press Coordinator and Commercial Advertising Producer.

I also raced many times at SAS . The Pro Sedans conducted a 200 lap race there in 1978.

For the past 20 years, as the Race & Administrative Director of the Texas Pro Sedans and President & Race Director of the TIDA Late Model Series, I have organized about 100 races at the half mile, high banks.

Last night's news was indeed distressing. TPS had conducted one 2007 race on March 3 with seven events remaining on our contract.

The only bright light yesterday evening was a telephone conversation with my life-long friend Mary Ann Nauman. TPS already had a four race contract at her Thunder Hill Raceway on May 26, July 14, August 18 and September 29th at the "Stock Car Spectacular". When we talked, she assured me that 3 or 4 TPS races would be added this season at THR. (btw - we have 24 entries for the next TPS race).

Many thanks to Mary Ann and all the TPS members who have called or sent e-mails of support concerning continued Texas Pro Sedans race operations.

I will distribute our revised TPS schedule just as soon as Mary Ann and I conclude our agreement adjustment.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

The best memory I have of SAS is watching my 12 year old son Dillon race around San Antonio Speedway in his Allison Legacy. Even though I feared the high banking and the walls, he had no fear of SAS at all.

Thank You Terry D. , Debbie, Rick and staff for making his dreams come true.

He is very upset by the news of SAS closing and was very much looking forward to racing his Late Model around SAS.

Thanks Terry! I know the truck guys are looking forward to racing at THR. Hopefully we can keep those race dates intact <shrug>. The future starts tomorow (Friday night) At Tri-City Speedway with their opening night, The All State Texas Racefest Saturday @ Thunderhill Raceway, Texas Trucks @ HMP & more. Everyone, we have a HUGE local racing weekend coming up, get out and support the local tracks!

Edited by Lonesome Ford