Press Release about Casey Smith

For Immediate Release

Paige Miller

Smith set for second start in Texas Super Racing Series Driving #3 Bobby Joe New's Chevrolet

Houston Motorsports Park, September 6, 2003

Austin, Texas - 18-year-old Casey Smith who began racing when he turned 5 years old and has earned three national championships in auto racing through out his career, is set to make his second appearance in the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) at Houston Speedway, in Houston, Texas, Saturday, September 6, 2003.

Smith will pilot the Bobby Joe New Southside Wrecker #3 Chevrolet in the Texas Super Racing Series approaching Houston event. "I am very excited to climb back into the Southside Chevrolet" says Casey. Smith's first appearance in the TSRS series came August 16th at San Antonio Speedway, driving the #3 Southside Chevrolet. Practicing in the top of the speed charts all day, qualified 5th quick. Smith was running in the 5th position, when engine failure on lap 22 sent the teen phoneme to the pits for the evening. "The first time I ever drove this car was in San Antonio," explains Smith. "I have been at the Southside shop this week helping the crew make some minor adjustments to the car that will fit me a little better" says Casey.

Bobby Joe New drove his #3 Chevrolet on area short track ovals for many years, building his fame as a notable "legend" of local short track racing. Recently, New shifted his interest from driver to team owner.

Bobby Joe and his businesses (Southside Wrecker Service) sponsor two cars in the Texas Super Racing Series. Ronnie New, Bobby Joe's son, pilots the #1 car. Ronnie enters the impending Houston event leading the TSRS points championship by 25 markers. "Bobby Joe is great, he provides us with everything we need" says Smith. "Ronnie and his crew have gone out of their way to make me feel like I am really part of this impressive team" Smith says.

Smith and his team will take to the track at Noon Saturday. Houston Motorsports Park opened in the spring of 2003. The 3/8 mile high bank asphalt oval is Texas' state-of-the-art short track facility, hosting special events including the American Speed Association Racing Series (ASA), ROMCO Super Late Model Series, and Texas Super Racing Series events. The track is located at 11620 N. Lake Houston Parkway, Houston, Texas.

For more information on Casey Smith visit www.caseysmith.com

Archived