Smith Family Racing names veteran Ervin Breiten, Jr as Crew Chief

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Feb. 12, 2006

Smith Family Racing names veteran Ervin Breiten, Jr as Crew Chief

LA VERNIA, TX (1.11.07) The Smith Family Racing team announced the hiring of Ervin Breiten, Jr. (San Antonio, TX) as the crew chief for 17-year-old Cody for the 2007 season.

Ervin Breiten, the owner of Oval Components in San Antonio for the 15 years, is a long-time veteran of auto racing in just about every aspect. As a driver, Breiten tallies over 100 wins and is a seven-time track champion at various tracks. He’s been crew chief of several Texas drivers at various levels in local and regional racing.

“This is another building block for Smith Family Racing,” said team owner Tom Smith. “We are both happy and proud to have a racing veteran such as Ervin Breiten take command as crew chief. We feel Ervin’s the right man to not only guide Cody on and off the track this season but also build – and guide – a distinguished crew for the #18 team this season.”

Breiten, whose company has been a major supplier for many tracks and touring series throughout Texas over the years, looks at his position with Smith Family Racing as an opportunity to not only help Cody but contribute to a family he respects.

“When Tom approached me, I knew it’s be a great situation because I’ve always had a lot of respect for Tom and Cody,” Breiten stated. “Tom’s a great guy on and off the track; I respect him a lot. It’s always great to be associated with people like him.”

About his new driver, Cody Smith – who has two Rookie of the Year awards, one track championship and one runnersup championship to his credit in just two years of racing – Breiten said, “I think he’s got a lot of potential as a driver. He’s proven himself in (the) TSRS (late models, runnersup champion in 2006) and he’s got a ton of driving talent. What I like about Cody is that he drives with respect for other drivers and I like how he maintains a level head in situations where other drivers would not.”

Breiten added, “Cody has a great natural instinct as a driver. He definitely has a bright future in racing.”

Tom Smith asked Breiten to assemble a crew that was reliable and will help the #18 team this year. Breiten responded by bringing Bobby Black, his wife Jennifer and Jarod Benker on board.

“Bobby Black has been in racing for several years,” Breiten revealed. “He’s helped to build some pretty good teams in the past. Jennifer and Jarod will help complement everything we do – they’re great team players who will do whatever it takes to get things done. All three of us have helped a driver out of Alabama who races in ASA South; (that team) is pretty much set and they’re happy with our work.”

Breiten and his new team took to the track at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) on Feb. 3, shaking down the team’s new car. The results were gratifying to Tom Smith.

“Cody ran the car well and handled it very well,” the elder Smith said. “We’ll try to get a little more track time if possible, but we’re very happy with Cody’s progress and look forward to competing March 3 in the Alamo 200.”

Cody Smith is represented by K-MAC Sports Productions of Austin (www.kmacsports.com), a PR firm and online broadcasting company.

Information about Cody Smith and Smith Family Racing can be found at the team’s web site, www.codysmithracing.com.

-30-

post-3-1171301131_thumb.jpg

Archived