Chevelle front clip LLM vs. tubular for road racing

roadracer

I have a limited late model perimeter stock car with chevelle front clip that I am setting up for road racing. I am setting the car up very similar to the TSRS rules however, I will be running 10" slicks. I wanted to get the the experienced car builders and racers on this forum to give their opinion with regard to handling on a road course with a Chevelle front clip. Any pros or cons? I believe the car will come around 3000 pds once it is completed but I wanted to know if there was any real advantage or disadvantages (other than the weight) vs. a tubular car. I realize a tubular car weights quite a bit less but this will be a big project and I already have the car 50 to 60% complete (setting up for road course) but wanted to know if the advantages of a tubular car is worth scrapping this project? I have seen the TSRS series at TMS and TWS during their road races and they seem handle fairly well however, the stock front clips I have seen on the TSRS cars appear to contain less mass (lighter) overall then the Chevelle front clip on my car. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

To even begin to answer such general question, some information is needed about where you will be running this car.

1) What is the total length of the course you intend to run?

2) Does it have long straights (such as the TWS front straight)?

3) Is the course mostly lefts or right or about the same.

4) If about the same number of lefts and rights, which turn is the most critical?

And some information is needed about your car as compared to the tube frame cars.

1) Will both the perimeter cars and the Chevelle you are building have stock front clips? Or will he tube frame cars have aftermarket front clips? If they can run an aftermarket front clip, they will have far better suspension geometry.

2) What is the total weight requirements for your class of car? If the rules say 3,000, then you will not be able to place ballast where you would need it - that is, low in the car and placed to obtain close to a 50-50 front-to-rear weight distribution. If the tube framed cars can add ballast, but you can't, then you are at a serious disadvantage.

3) Are you planning on running a stock rear clip? If so, forget keeping up with a tube framed car with an aftermarket rear clip.

Sorry I couldn't really answer your question, but perhaps with some additional information I could make a few more specific comparisons.

Nick Holt

Nick,

Thanks for your input. I will be running TWS but also Motor Sport Ranch in Crescent, TX which is a 1.7 mile course. Most of the turns will be left hand which is an advantage. I did speak with one gentleman that works with the TSRS cars and he said that most of them run an OEM stock clips but apparently they like the camaro front clips because they weight less. He indicated that it may not be a real disadvantage running the chevelle front clip but the camero is the most popular.

Hate to scrap this project because overall, the car is built well and the only stock part of the car is the front clip. The rear clip is tubular. The car was built by a Busch shop up North. With regard to the road racing, I really have no specific rules to go by as they will simply place me in a class with similar weight to power ratio cars. However, I wanted to stay close to TSRS rules in case I want to run with them if they continue running their road course race every year.

Thanks again for the input and I will keep those things in mind. I also have straight up steel rear quarters and can put fiberglass rear quarters on the car which will help with the weight issue. Hoping some other experienced chassis builders / racers will chime in with their thoughts as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Nick,

Thanks for your input. I will be running TWS but also Motor Sport Ranch in Crescent, TX which is a 1.7 mile course. Most of the turns will be left hand which is an advantage. I did speak with one gentleman that works with the TSRS cars and he said that most of them run an OEM stock clips but apparently they like the camaro front clips because they weight less. He indicated that it may not be a real disadvantage running the chevelle front clip but the camero is the most popular.

Hate to scrap this project because overall, the car is built well and the only stock part of the car is the front clip. The rear clip is tubular. The car was built by a Busch shop up North. With regard to the road racing, I really have no specific rules to go by as they will simply place me in a class with similar weight to power ratio cars. However, I wanted to stay close to TSRS rules in case I want to run with them if they continue running their road course race every year.

Thanks again for the input and I will keep those things in mind. I also have straight up steel rear quarters and can put fiberglass rear quarters on the car which will help with the weight issue. Hoping some other experienced chassis builders / racers will chime in with their thoughts as well.

There is nothing wrong with running the chevelle clip. I am currently setting up a late model for the ASC (American Stockcar Challenge) series. Glad to see another road racer. My late model has the camaro clip. The clip cars seem to be more forgiving with the turns encountered in roadracing, and the aftermarket for the clips is just as good as the straight rail cars. Most roadracing classes require a minumum weight, so I dont think you will have to many issues. ASC requires 2800 lbs. The biggest thing is squaring up the car from the circle track. Set the rear straight, even up spring rates, even up shocks, square the alignment. Things like that. You also might wanna make sure your chassis is really ridgid. Adding some bars and strengthening the chassis is going to help the most. Any more questions, let me know

Archived