CCSpeedway & ROMCO 8/30

Jason

Ok guys I just got home.

Superstreets:

Let me first start off by saying that I was very impressed by the local guys tonight. I was watching one car in particular and he did not take out ANYONE! He was involved in some accidents that were not his fault but I saw this driver back off tonite when normally would have just turned into someone. And yes he, Greg Carlucci Jr. did end up winning.

Bombers:

What can ya say? These guys are the best show in town! With all the bumping and rubbing there are accidents though. Tonite there was a great race going. A driver spun in the grass kicked up dust and then #91 Raymond Baily was turned on the front straight and faced the field head on. He was hit while stopped by another bomber which was also rearended. He was taken to the hospital concious. Anyone have an update? I do not know who won as I left after this happened.

Texas Thunder:

GB Carter did the usual and won in his #77 VW Rabbit. He's the guy you put money on.

Legacies: Our very own Tom Harwell won tonights race! Drove a great race. The fastest car was James Lee. The #17 car was blackflagged while leading as he spun 2 people. James Lee was one of them. Coming back through the field Lee raced Mel Krauss hard. To me it looked like just a simple racing accident when the two of them made contact on the backstraight. Mel ended up hard into the wall and he was not too happy. Torn up racecar. James made it back up to third.

ROMCO:

I just want to get this out in the open. Traction control has RUINED races here at CCSpeedway! It is extremly hard to pass now and it seems as the high line is a NoNo now. 15 cars showed but only 14 raced as Greg Davidson broke a driveshaft on the pace lap. Everyone was a little bummed about the car count. There was a new points leader before this happened as TWade won the poll and the bonus points placing him ahead of Greg. Brandon Bendele qualified 2nd fastest, Greg Davidson 3rd, and John Heil 4th. Other notables were Chris Davidson who started 8th and Joey Heinaman who started 10th. At the beginning of the race (1st lap) there was a caution. I do not understand why the race was not restarted but maybe the leaders had already passed the line to start lap 2? There was a restart where the yellow came out and then the green lights came back on. Some drivers slowed and some did not. Again I have no idea. The race wasn't as actionpacked as usual. Robert Richardson spun a few times and Eric Covington received the most damage (cosmetic). John Meyer was also involved in a few accidents. Near the end of the race there was a caution and coming to it Chris Davidson and John Meyer made contact. Chris let John know he was #1 and they went around the track next to each other. Brandon and T Wade raced EXTREMLY clean with each other and with Heil. T Wade decided it was time to go with about 15 laps to go and looped it while trying to get around Brandon. He fought back through the pack and finished 3rd. Brandon had a faster car but Heil took the win.

Jason

Jason I wonder if we get a .05 point for saying that a new points leader would come after the CC race? Also maybe a stupid question. What is romco's points policy for qualifying for a race but not starting it? Does Greg get credited with a last place finish or does he just get a DNS for not taking the green flag?

I dont know about much of the race because if you took your eyes off of Heil, Bendele and Welch, you were going to miss something. It was great to see three drivers go at it for as many laps as they did and race each other very hard and clean. There was action up front nearly the whole race. Congrats to Heil on the win. Also, I think Welch finished 6th or 7th, I think Grimes finished 3rd.

Jason,

If you show up for next week's race, stop by #44 Texas Thunder. We had problems this past Saturday. Truck skipped a tooth on timing and just wouldn't get it, plus it started getting hot at the end. Anyway, all is fixed now...we'll make a good run at GB next week... :D

Rick

Got a Speedway Illustrated last week and it had a story on traction control and ROMCO series was mentioned in it-check it out-from what I got-it can be hidden and hard to find-and the unit keeps gettin smaller and smaller-

:) I can update everyone on Raymond Bailey - I am on the race team - I run the #19 in the Thunder Class. (been out for weeks enjoying some watching for a while anyways...) We took Raymond to the ER just to be checked out - Raymond's mom was concerned about some dizziness and nausea.. -- the ambulance tranported him due to some shortness of breath. Raymond - and I quote the ER doctor "Checked out sickingly normal..." His x-rays were ok and he was just bangup and bruised. Dr said to expect some whiplash soreness and some possible headaches from the tension but other than that ---- I know that mom was going to have him looked at again because he is still having some headaches...

Raymond will be back on the track this weekend and hopefully CC can manage to go back to the standards they were upholding several weeks ago about the rough driving... not right for someone to punt ya in the dust and then go to win the race.... the #1 car didnt even get put to the back let alone black-flagged for rough driving.... he obviously caused the wreck and totally got away with it -- I am so tired of seeing this happening -- and Raymond has been fighting to get up front in this class all year -- he finally had a chance at his first ever win and someone had to get dirty AGAIN! Just how I see it....

This is a message from Raymond Bailey's mother:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I AM RAYMOND BAILEY'S MOM. I WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW RAYMOND IS DOING BETTER. HE WAS CHECKED OUT AT THE ER THAT NIGHT AND WAS RELEASED. HE HAS BEEN LIGHT HEADED, STIFF NECK, AND BAD HEADACHES STILL. I TOOK HIM BACK TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND HE HAS A BULGED DISK IN HIS NECK. HE IS RECIEVING TREATMENT AND THPY. HE IS ALREADY DOING BETTER. HE WILL BE IN TREATMENT ALL WEEK, HOPING TO BE ABLE TO RACE SATURDAY NIGHT.

I am still waiting on a reply from the track manager to discuss this race. He must be having e-mail problems again like last week!!!!!

I received an email from Raymond Bailey's mom saying that he is ok but a little sore. She was having some trouble using the site so I thought I would pass the word. Hope he gets back to racing soon.

Thank you Jason for passing on the word about Raymond. Thank you for your concern.

:) I would like to think everyones prayers, phonecalls and e-mails.

I am sending out a special Thank you to JR.#34 AND SR,#84 for getting out to the track and assit. when Raymond got punted and hit.

Missy Duncan I thank you for being there with me, since Steve has deployed for 6 months. Steve sends his Thank you's via e-mail.

Mr. CC Speedway Track Manager ( I don't know the corrct sp. of last name),

I am still waiting on you to contact me. We really need to talk.

Again Thank you all

I just want to weigh in on traction control. First of all, we don't run ROMCO (we run another traveling series), but I know enough of the fast teams well enough to visit their garages and talk honestly about TC. It is not illegal in ROMCO and several teams have tried it. Most, if not all, feel it is of no real advantage. What I mean by that is the 2 most common forms of TC either apply rear brakes or retard or kill the ignition system. Both methods decrease power to the rear wheels. If you are leading the race or running in the clear, you benefit from the decrease, ie; forward bite. Most of the time though, when you need the most forward bite is when passing--and especially coming off the turn. That is also when you are most likely to have to get out of "the groove" either low or high. The tires start to slip, TC kicks in and retards power and if the car you are passing is as fast as you are, you don't have the power to pass. If the car you are passing pushes up or gets loose, you could stay in the groove and everything would be great. But then, a good driver could take advantage of that without TC. Let's just put it this way, the lighter the car and the more horsepower the better it works (IRL, F-1, etc).

I don't know who is still running it, but I do know most of the ones who are considered fast and run up front week after week are not. Sorry for the long narrative, but bottom line is who cares. If the ones using it were beating the socks off everyone else we might all want to get one or COMPLAIN, but the guy who won Corpus Christi 2 times in a row didn't have it. Seems to me some of you guys need to spend a little more time on your chassis setup and a little less time worrying about "the other guy".

Not that it matters, but it looks like the top two didnt have it. I was just wonering how you could tell from the stands that someone is running it? Hell, the tech officials tore cars apart, helmets, stripped drivers and never found it. I guess the tech officials should have sit in the stands so they could have made the calls last year. If the top two didnt have it, perhaps everyone that has one should use them for boat anchors.

At CC it is pretty easy to tell. At night, under hard throttle you will see a hint of a blue flame out of the exhaust. This could be in conjunction with an engine missfire if the wheel spin is severe. The other thing would be glowing rear brake rotors (rear only) if there system uses rear braking to control spin.

I am familiar with this from the roadracing days. I think we have al heard the engine missfires at CC. All that said, I think CC is the only place it matters.

TQ,

The flames that are seen when a car is utilizing TC occur when the driver is back on the throttle coming off a turn, not when they are off the throttle going into a turn. The reason the flames appear even when the driver is on the throttle is due to the TC device retarding the timing so much that the exhaust valves are still slightly open at the moment of combustion in the cylinder.

The other dead give-away for cars that are using the braking version of TC is when one of the rear brake rotors glows red when the car is coming off the turn.

Nick Holt

Archived