let me see if I understand all this

WildRacer5

Let me see if I am understanding all of this correctly. It seems that almost every thread tends to end up on the same topic. Well almost all except for those that deal with paving Saratoga but that is another issue in its own right. That topic is that there are 3 main problems with Auto racing in Texas.

1. The track that you race at has no money for marketing so that they can get more people in the stands so that they can spark more interest into the sport and possibly get more sponsors for your self or your raceteam

2. The racer or raceteam has no money for marketing so that they can get more people in the stands so that they can spark more interest into the sport and possibly get more sponsors for themselves or thier raceteam

3. The series at which some of those racers race with has no money for marketing so that they can get more people in the stands so that they can spark more interest into the sport and the series and possibly get more sponsors for their series or raceteams.

Have I missed something here. Doesn't this go back to that 3rd grade saying of "it was somebody's job but everybody forgot to do it." Now my question is the scapegoat really a bad economy or is it just a lack of trying. I my opinion it seems that with a bad economy people are willing to pay for something that entertains them. Racing in this state has turned into a blaim game and it is hurting us all from racers, to series, to tracks and down to fans. What happened to the day of the best bang for the buck takes all the bucks. We need people to start thinking in terms of entertainment. Anybody that has ever built a racetrack or a race series has lost thier tails. Anyone that has built an entertainment venue or group that specializies in motorsports operations and that works with the community has suceeded. There are many good ideas and many solutions but has anyone tried them or is going to try them. Who knows, maybe we'll save that for another thread

I'll get off my soapbox now and dropp my .02 cents in the hat, thanks

WildRacer5, you have in fact stated the problem well. Everyone thinks it's someone else's job, because "I don't have money for that." If you don't have money for that, you don't have enough money to race, or you don't have enough money to own a race track, or you don't have enough money to run a racing series.

Promotion and PR are not optional, any more than doing the same things for any other business are optional. How many copier stores or restaurants or car dealerships operate without advertising and promotion?

You're also correct that we are in the entertainment business. Brian Calloway's closest competitor isn't San Antonio Speedway, it's the nearest place someone can spend their entertainment budget for the weekend. His competition is every pizza joint, bowling alley, movie theater, water park, you name it, where people can spend money for fun.

Brian knows that, and he's working on it. But he is short of funds, and it isn't his job to promote someone else's race series or race car, though he will help drivers figure out how to do it themselves. The series just need to get their act together as well. It is everybodys' job.

The race tracks are open, the race cars are there, fans are there, crews, friends, customers, employees, the only problem I see is the naysayers talking about how bad it is. I guess some of you guys would bitch because the silver spoon was not handed to you exactly how you wanted it. Hire a promotion guy and get a 21st & 23rd finish in the race. That is great for a teen phenon or whatever you call it. I have yet to see a PR guy put you in the winners circle. If you think the racers, tracks or series dont have the money to hire a PR guy, you are wrong. I think they have been around long enough to know where to spend their money. If you PR guys are so smart and have all the answers, open a track, start a series or buy a car, then maybe someone will listen.

Gasman, if you think Texas tracks have enough fans, cars and money, you're in the minority. Most of the tracks are barely making it, and the series aren't doing all that well, either.

No, a PR man can't put you in the winner's circle. All they can do is tell the world you were there.

Try this: football players don't get paid the big bucks for running with or passing the football. They get the big bucks for putting fans in the stands. That's the same reason Jeff Gordon and Dale, Jr., get the big bucks: not for what they do, but for the fact that people will pay to see them.

Gasman, we are in the entertainment business.

Tq, some of us know our place, and it happens to be right doing what we want in the local and state touring series. It gets old when people continue to say we are broke and stupid. We dont have the time and money to compete with the Winston Cup or Busch teams just like you dont have the time and money to promote our series for us. So quit putting us down and let us have our fun. Why dont you put some some of your negative comments into positive ones for the local tracks and series. It pays the same. Have you ever thought that maybe people are happy doing what they do at this level?

Gasman, when did I put anybody down? If people are happy racing at their current level, that's great. Have a good time. Racing is a great hobby, and on some levels not that much more expensive than being serious about any other hobby.

(I've known people who had more money in their bass boat, trailer and SUV tow vehicle than I ever spent on a racing rig, and the serious golfers who use their vacations to travel to play all the great courses spend even more.)

But every track in Central Texas is hurting, some more than others. There are continual rumors that this track won't be open next year, or that that track is being sold. I didn't start the conversation, I'm just reacting to the concerns expressed by others, and trying to show them how the real world works, and how to make racing more successful than it is on a local level.

It may be more important that we do this if you want to continue to race your car at a local track. As NASCAR expands and goes to more night racing, we had better be strong at the local level, with a good fan base, or there won't be any short tracks to play on.

It is up to the race teams to provide the entertainment. The series (we are talking touring here) takes that entertainment and sells it the public. The track provides the facility for the entertainment to take place. All three groups need to do some sort of promotion- to get sponsors- to get the bills paid. For the racer, if you run a good paying series such as ROMCO, your best sponsor is the series when they send you that check from winning or finishing well. This only works if your team has the ability to win. You could give every team in ROMCO $1mill to run on and the results would not change much, some teams win, some don't. If you don't have the experience or whatever to run up front or your series does not pay well, you better promote or whatever it takes to get sponsorship. The series has no choice, they have to put together a good show and promote it, by what I seen in SA, ROMCO is on the right track with the TAMS/TSRS/ROMCO combo. The track must provide the type of facility that will KEEP PEOPLE COMING BACK. When you talk about local racing, it the same thing except the series and the track are one in the same. TQ, you could not be more right in saying that these tracks compete with every other type of entertainment venue that will take there money. This forum sounds like a bitch session sometimes, but as long as we provide some ideas and different view points, we know the powers that be read it. One last thing, before the last HMS ROMCO race, they allowed the fans on the track before driver intro. I think this goes a long ways in getting the fans personally involved and pulling for 'there driver'. Although this seemed to get the fans excited, one of the drivers I was talking to on the track (who will remain unnamed) complained that ROMCO was wasting time. I will tell you this, this driver does not have to worry about sponsors or fans because daddy has plenty money. He almost did not have to worry about his time being wasted, I about bitch slapped to him when he said that.

I think everyone is in agreement that the short track asphalt series/tracks are hurting from both a financial and marketing standpoint.(well everyone but gasman.) Like a said in previous posts its the guys setting on the fence thinking they know whats going on inside and yet have no clue. The rumor spreading and the assumptions are the worst marketing our sport can have. It needs to stop, because word of mouth is the best and least expensive advertising there is. If everyone cares, then correct the guy who is spreading bad blood or best of all educate them to what is really going on. There is a lot of free marketing that could be done by track promoters/sanctioning bodies:

1.) Attract drivers- The more drivers the better the show and the fans will tell someone who tells someone and so on. Explain the rules to the drivers and what the goals of the rules are. Do not let them assume. Its simple open your mind and mouth. Let them know what's in it for them- do you have a points fund or contenginency. EXAMPLE: How many people out their know that the SAS LATEMODELS race for between $10,000and $165,000 each year in Nascar points money, this is not spread between all the drivers its just for the track champion with the best score. Just ask Brandon Bendele. Who is telling people about this. That's free marketing to the drivers. Anything positive needs to be talked about and promoted.

2.) Give a sponsor a reason to help a driver or the track. Give them statistics: car counts, fan counts, Number of cars give them value for their dollar spent.

3.) Make the each race a happening, make it have a carnival atmosphere, make the place to be, keep it busy, keep it fun and talk it up to everyone.

Its sad to here the exuse of we have no money, time and good will are free. HOW BAD YOU GOT IT!

let me start out by saying that I never intended for this thread to become a bitch session. For once this thread wasn't about who stole who's cars and not trying to hit on anything other that what is wrong. Now the most common reaction that we all seem to get on this board forum is "well do you race?" As some know I do not race but not because of a lack of trying. Now there are some that say that "you don't race that you would not understand." NEWSFLASH--It really does matter how people see local racing and the sport as a whole for any of us to make racing better!!

The point that I want to make is this:

I live just outside San Marcos and have approuch several business about becoming potenial sponsors for several of my racing ventures. one is a Texas Pro Sedan and the other is a Pure stock/ road runner type car. Now here are the problems that I have faced.

1. The potenial sponsor will not give any funds to a rookie team that is racing at a track that they have never heard of even if the track has been there for 5 years.

2. The potenial sponsor will not give any funds because I am trying to race in a series that they have never heard of and at tracks that they did not know existed.

3. They did not want to become a sponsor because they didn't feel that they could reach thier "core" because they did not feel that any local people go out to the race track.

Now I do understand that yes I was starting a rookie team and maybe that didn't look good but How do I help out all the other problems that I encountered. Some will say that I could not give them the best bang for the buck as far a a reaturn on sponsorship but If they are just not interested with dealing with something that they idn't know existed.

I really could send out a press release but it would get kinda boring reading the same thing over and over

Press Release

Since there is no attention brought to the local racing scene or community in this area. The race team has not be able to secure appropriate capital to compete with the series that we want to run because no one has ever heard of this series and it is to be contested at a track that no one has ever know to exist outside the racing community.

Now this might sound kinda harsh but that press release is true but it really sucks. Now I know that there are some that will say that I didn't approach the right sponsor but who is to say what the right sponsor is? Anyway that is the roadblock that I have run into. I'm not dogging the track!!! or the series!!!! Please don't take my prior statments as a bash on either!!! It is not intended for that purpose. I' m just telling what my experience has been and what I have encountered. If I wanted to bash, you guys would know, If I have offended anyone please except my apologizes.

as said before I'll get off my soapbox now

Hey Supertx, I caught that before it was edited. I do have a clue that if you sit here and talk about how bad racing is and that drivers, tracks and series have limited resources it does nothing to bring in new fans, sponsors or drivers. It all starts with putting cars on the track, having a place to race, and an organized series. At this point, owners, tracks and series are putting all of their resources into this and it will grow from here with everyones support.

Archived