Question

Colt15

I dreamed we were doing what we do now, racing the same tracks in the same cars and with the same crowds. Only... There was no NASCAR. It had never happened and didn't exist. That's worth thinking about.

TQ is that not what you mean?

Racerjim2-

No, what I meant was that NASCAR pulls the train for all of stock car racing. Without them, we'd still be the sport we were 30 years ago when the rest of the world assumed we were a bunch of dumb butts with grease under our fingernails who worked at low-end jobs.

NASCAR is doing a good job of changing that perception, but what are we doing?

My point is that if there were no NASCAR and we were doing as little as we are doing now to attract attention to our level of the sport, stock car racing wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

That's what I meant about it being worth thinking about what our world would be without NASCAR. Maybe if we don't depend on the trickle-down attention from NASCAR, we can attract some attention on our own. Bryan Callaway is certainly trying to promote Thunder Hill now, and he understands that what we have to "sell" is different than what NASCAR is selling. We're the grass roots, the short tracks, with all the excitement that can mean.

And, whether you agree with some of the racing or not (I thought last week was great racing at THR) or some of the calls or not, THR has been exciting this year.

I don't want to get rid of NASCAR. I just don't want to assume that, because they exist, we don't have to do anything.

:D Jim I tend to agree with the statement that you asked TQ about,we did have more cars at SAS before NASCAR,and yes I know that dirt tracks have taken some cars away as well as other touring series.Just my opion. As I have stated before,SAS is the only NASCAR short track in the state,there is a reason for that,the other tracks got tired of sending the money to Florida,and sought a cheaper alternative. I know one promoter that saved 44 thousand by dropping NASCAR after the first year he had the track,and even on his bad nights he still gets more cars then we do down here,and costs less to race there. Basically the tracks need to get together and work out a common set of rules,and work together instead of each having their own rules so you can only run at their tracks.

TQ sorry I misunderstood your point of view and for what it is worth I agree we are not doing enough to grow with the sport as driver's,teams ,and speedways NASCAR is the template .Back in the 70's and 80's the teams did not have the marketing programs that they do now. the show car programs and personal appearances have helped the sport grow and all the teams did was copy what NASCAR started with the old winston show car program now the teams do that.

97car I understand where you are coming from but it is always good to align yourself with the strongest business in your market and if used corectly it can help at the local level by generating sponsorship for the tracks and for the speedways.however the buy in cost are higher but from what I have heard the non NASCAR are uping the cost of racing buy selling pit stalls and having number regestration fees just like the NASCAR track is.

Archived