general scoring question

WildRacer5

for some reason during my late night insomnia this question popped in my head so I thought that I would just ask. In races with pit roads such as HMS and SAS if a driver is pitted at the far end of pit road and passes the start/finish line while in the pits does that still count as a completed lap. I remember what Burton did at the Winston a few years ago and just wondered.

Now if they do score for that far side of pit road, how are the pits assigned. Another question is that a big part of your racing stradegy.

WildRacer5,

Cars are scored at the start finish line and it doesn't matter whether that car crosses it on pit road or on the track.

Most local tracks do not count laps run under yellow, so pit position doesn't really matter in most cases. After a caution the line-up goes back to the way the cars were running on the last complete lap before the caution. If a car pits during the caution period, that car rejoins the field at the end of the lap it was on before the caution.

About the only time pit position would matter is if a car pits before the start/finish line under green conditions and doesn't ever go back out onto track during the race or cross the finish line on pit road. In this case that car would not get credit for the lap almost completed.

Does this answer your question or did I miss something?

Nick Holt

Well seeing how I am a scorer at THR, I thought I would give my .2 cent worth.

I am not speaking for the other tracks or traveling series.

At THR we do not count yellows---It is the way Nick explained it. But, saying you get off in the grass on the front straight and there is not yellow displayed (we stay green) then you are scored.

When I worked for TIDA we did run at SAS--and if you pitted under green (or yellow if we were counting yellows) and crossed the start finish line in the pits---you were scored.

Stacy will hopefully see this and post the way they do things in TSRS.

Wildracer5,

In the ROMCO series, we are lucky enough not to really worry about that problem since we use electronic scoring. But when I worked SAS, we only counted the cars when they crossed the start-finish in the pits. So yes I guess in a track where you pit in the infield where you would pit would be very important.

Terry Barden

Romco

Archived