we can save the super stocks

dt8435

As per Owen we can save the super stock class at south texas speedway. Owen says that when he calls for the first drivers meeting coming up soon if we can register 15 cars or up we can save our class. This class will be dependant on us. If you want to run in the super stock class and be able to run the 10" wheels and tires call Landon Farquer at 361-774-8704..or David Terrell at 361-946-1968 if we do not answer please leave a message with your name and number. The sooner we find out who is interested the sooner we find out if we still have a class. Im sure that if we all get together on this we can have some say in what the rules will and be able to schedule more weekends for us to race.LETS SHOW OWEN THAT WE WANT TO RUN THE SUPER STOCK CLASS AT SOUTH TEXAS SPEEDWAY. Thank You David Terrell

Don't get to quick on putting words in my mouth now, what I said is we will talk about the 10" tire super stock class continuing if we can have more than 16 sign up at the meeting, the other thing I said is just because 16 sign up don't mean 16 will show up, I know we had at least 3 drivers sign up last year that never showed up. I also said when I put up 1000 to win and 100 to start only 12 showed up and one of those was from Dallas and several of those were first time ever at the track and as far away as Kerrville. So convincing me that you guys will get 16 to 20 cars on a nightly basis is going to be tough. Next during the phone conversation I was told they had 20 plus drivers ready to go, now its lets find 15, its going to take alot of convincing to make me change my mind and put you alls race track in a finacial jeopardy for 8 or 10 cars not wanting to change tires.

I really don't understand this infatuation with an expensive 10" tire, I am willing to pay the new combined class the same money as the modifieds if we get a good car count yet people still want to stay with a 10" tire. THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IS TIRE AND RIM.

DT8435 - The other thing I want you all to think about is if the usual 10 or less cars show up to race are you all willing to race for a trophy?

Give up the big tires you babies.....learn to drive...lol

I think he should allow the 10" wheels (at least for 1 more year) and phase them out for next year. I like the g60 tire rule (wish edna would go to this too) and they can be mounted (although not easily) ON A 10" wheel without any advantage. I would also suggest allowing the big tires on the front for this year to ease the burden of buying all new tires.

But on to more important stuff...I know where a race winning "hobbystock" can be bought for less than most bombers...someone needs to buy it to help save the class.

ps...everyone else was double posting...so figured I should too...lol

1. New combined class should be called "Sportsman". Makes sense with similar classes around the country.

2. Set a wheel and tire size rule. Let the driver decide on the tire as long as it stays within a size limit (tread width limit and overall size limit).

3. Allow any cast iron head in Sportsman and don't reference brand like Dart, etc... Just specify no aluminum and specify cc minimum. Allowing the aftermarket heads is economical when you add up all the cost to prepare a set of used heads, trying to get them to flow right and everything else.

If any way possible Corpus, Pleasanton and Edna track owners should get together, agree on one set one set of rules for the Sportsman class, cause Edna is combining a class also, so that would be smart for all tracks. Run the class one Saturday at Corpus, other Saturday at Edna and whatever Friday night schedule at Pleasanton. You will get the car count that way if the owners discussed this class and agreed on a set of uniform rules for the South Texas group. The late model stock guys in Houston were dropped from HRP and formed their own group with their own rules and will be making dates at 4 or so tracks around the Houston general area. You will not draw every car in Sportsman class from Edna to Corpus or Corpus to Edna, but you will draw more cars to both places if you create uniform rules between the tracks. Would benefit drivers, all of the tracks in the zone, and make for some crowd pleasing car counts with some exciting racing.

I think Owen has the right changes in mind. Forget about the 10 inch tire,no need to waste another year with two classes with 8 to 10 cars. Most people are going to buy new tires anyways, so really only cost is in new wheels. As for phasing out 10 inch tires I do believe Owen did say at the very first meeting last year that his goal was to have all classes on the same tire by the years end. Just makes sense to run the G-60, superstocks should still have the advantage over street stocks anyways.

Here is an idea, Super Stocks I can respect each of you that have called and asked about the class but business is business so how about I book a date say in March for the first Super Stock Race (10" tires) and I will make sure it does not conflict with Edna, if 16 cars or more show up then you get a second date, at the second date if 16 cars or more show up then a third date and so on until either we run a complete season or less than 16 show up, if less than 16 show up then no more 10" super stock class. Now I am still going to change the rules for the Hobby Class( or whatever is decided to call it ) and the guys that want to go ahead and move can, this is not to hurt your 10" tire efforts but to save a few people from spending more money. I do not think a 16 car field at this point is possible, I put up 1000 to win and only got 12, I put up a 1000 to win in the street stocks and got 17 which turned out to be the best race of the 2006 Stock Car Championships in my opinion.

The new Hobby class will have a revised purse as well, with better than 16 cars it will pay 400 to win each week, same as I currently pay the modifieds to win, so think about it, 8" inch tires that will last 10 times as long as a 10" tire and more pay at the end of the night, seems like a good business decision for the racer as well.

Call me with comments.

Owen

361-548-0669

I do not think a 16 car field at this point is possible, I put up 1000 to win and only got 12, I put up a 1000 to win in the street stocks and got 17 which turned out to be the best race of the 2006 Stock Car Championships in my opinion.

Just a reminder that part of the problem with the $1000 to win Stock Car Championship for Super Stocks was that it was on the same date as the Texas Grand.

Let me see if I have this right with Owen wanting to combine the Super Stock & Street Stock classes we should have a minimum 24 cars every race night. So with that in mine the payout would be $1805 per race night. Now if you have two twelve car classes it would pay $1460 per night. Lets keep two classes & save the MONEY.

here's an idea if you guy's are dead set on running those high dollar 10" tires why not go out and knock on some doors of your local automotive shops,parts stores,local businesses and get some sponsorship for the class to help pay the purse,several of the tracks up north, kileen for example has class sponsors to help and that also helps the track survive when guys don't show everynight. heres an example: JOE'S AUTOMOTIVE SUPER STOCKS

i would like to see all of the excited people saying how great it is going to be and that they look forward to the 07 season. My self i will be there maybe i'll have to put on some 8" wheels and tires to run with the combined class and save the big tires and wheels to run else where for when there are no races here.Yes there will be some cost involved in changing tires and wheels but i dont know about others but i know that i cant afford to haul a car 260 miles to edna or 226 miles ( round trip mileage) to Pleasanton not to mention that Pleasanton would be out cause they run on fridays and i dont get out of work soon enough. For me the wheels and tires will be cheaper in the long run then what i would burn i gas getting there and back not to mention that I wouldnt be getting back till 3 or 4 in the morning.I would rather sit on the end of the trailer and drink beer till 12 and get home at 12:30 or 1 then drive around all night.. just my personal opinon..

never my intent to offend anyone thought that everone was on the same page

man not one person has posted anything that even eludes to the fact that they might be interested in showing and for evey race scheduled. I was thinking there would be post after post saying hey me and the 2 other guys will be there for every race come hell or high water..I'd trade all of my stuff for 1 bomber and 1 pure stock ready to go and just go have fun

man not one person has posted anything that even eludes to the fact that they might be interested in showing and for evey race scheduled. I was thinking there would be post after post saying hey me and the 2 other guys will be there for every race come hell or high water..I'd trade all of my stuff for 1 bomber and 1 pure stock ready to go and just go have fun

Why trade your stuff? just get some 8 inch tires and come race. This new class should be great and for 400 to win , cant beat it.

just showing my dissapointment that no one would commit to anything.More then likely i will put on the 8" stuff and go have fun.This was started to show Owen that they supers would show up and that they liked their class and would commit to raceing every race. I dont want to put words in anyones mouth nor am i speaking for anyone but my self when i say not one person posetd anything saying if thats what it takes we will make it happen if you let us run this class.

I do not think a 16 car field at this point is possible, I put up 1000 to win and only got 12, I put up a 1000 to win in the street stocks and got 17 which turned out to be the best race of the 2006 Stock Car Championships in my opinion.

Just a reminder that part of the problem with the $1000 to win Stock Car Championship for Super Stocks was that it was on the same date as the Texas Grand.

i looked at the results from the texas grand and out of 20 cars that were registered at south texas speedway only one showed up in the 21 cars at the texas grand

Combine the class. It is a good business decision for the track, and do it at the start of the season. Low number of cars in a class is not as fun for the driver, and boring for the fans when it comes to feature time. 15 to 20 cars in a feature is exciting and pleasing to the fans. Good pay for a feature with decent pay in the field would be a great incentive.

It is obvious that most tracks are needing to tighten down on the number of classes if you're gonna have decent car count in these particular classes and prolonging the decision is just delaying the inevitable. Whatever the decision is, do it now and kick off the season that way. Some of the regulars in the class from Edna will come to Corpus and some of the regulars from Corpus will come to Edna if the dates work out. Granted not everyone will run at both tracks, but some will. If the rules are close at both places it would definitely be an incentive.

i looked at the results from the texas grand and out of 20 cars that were registered at south texas speedway only one showed up in the 21 cars at the texas grand

We were not registered at STS, but did originally want to make their show until it was scheduled on the same date. Now, I can not speak for the other cars there, BUT we had 26 show up at the Grand (I believe) and STS would of had a chance to get some of these cars if it had a different date. I was just replying to the part of the post about the $1000 to win and how many cars showed up. I know STS being on the same date affected our decision and might have on others.

Mrs. Aj i can understand what you are saying but what i'm looking at is that STS had 20 cars register and race at least one race during the regular point season and only one of those guys went to Texas Grand race. Now at the stock car championship's we had 16 cars i think and some of those were from out of town. My point is where in the heck were the rest of the 19 cars that did not go to texas grand. We ( super stock's) are shooting ourselfs in the foot. Here i post this for guys to come and say to Owen in this post hey here we are and we will committ to every race you can schedule and as you can see from the post Bob Gavlik was the only one to post anything saying hey we will show up.

Aj i can understand what you are saying but what i'm looking at is that STS had 20 cars register and race at least one race during the regular point season and only one of those guys went to Texas Grand race. Now at the stock car championship's we had 16 cars i think and some of those were from out of town. My point is where in the heck were the rest of the 19 cars that did not go to texas grand. We ( super stock's) are shooting ourselfs in the foot. Here i post this for guys to come and say to Owen in this post hey here we are and we will committ to every race you can schedule and as you can see from the post Bob Gavlik was the only one to post anything saying hey we will show up.

Sorry...forgot to sign my name...that wasn't AJ posting...it was me, his wife.....just wanting to clairify that.

Aj i can understand what you are saying but what i'm looking at is that STS had 20 cars register and race at least one race during the regular point season and only one of those guys went to Texas Grand race. Now at the stock car championship's we had 16 cars i think and some of those were from out of town. My point is where in the heck were the rest of the 19 cars that did not go to texas grand. We ( super stock's) are shooting ourselfs in the foot. Here i post this for guys to come and say to Owen in this post hey here we are and we will committ to every race you can schedule and as you can see from the post Bob Gavlik was the only one to post anything saying hey we will show up.

Sorry...forgot to sign my name...that wasn't AJ posting...it was me, his wife.....just wanting to clairify that.

ok well Mrs Aj then

Mrs. Aj you see my point though right

Archived