Official statement from RGS promoter Johnny Johnson

frontstraight

This is an official statement from Johnny Johnson, he asked that I post it for him:

There have been a lot of misunderstandings as to how things played out at the McAllen Nationals this past weekend. I would like to clear this matter up, as to what really happened, and the reason for my decisions throughout the weekend.

First off I want to apologize for making a quick decision at Saturday nights drivers meeting, as to how the pay-out would be if the show was rained out. I took advice from an out-of-town promoter, not that I had to, but it sounded good for not having a lot of time to think it over. About an hour after the drivers meeting, a driver called me and suggested I split the Thurs+Fri night qualifiers money: Ex…split the combined winnings of each row between the two qualified drivers, Ex,,,1+2, 3+4, 5+6…etc. This also sounded like a fair option. After figuring the numbers, we realized there would be roughly 100 drivers going home with no pay. I didn’t think this was fair because they didn’t have a shot at the 12 spots still open in Saturdays A-Mains, nor the non-qualifying payout. After going over this with track officials and a few helpful drivers, we decide that the cars that qualified would receive the guaranteed starting pay for the main events of $1000 for mods, and $200 for limiteds. Since the main event was never run.

The reason we didn’t run on Sunday, with circumstances the way they were, the show would not have worked out. First, 95% of drivers voted to start racing on Sunday by 11:00am. The way the track was Sunday morning, the track would have had to be packed for quite some time and wouldn’t have been race ready until at least 1:00pm. It would have been a very rutted, rough track and I know a lot of people would have gone home with torn up racecars. (The track had also been torn up in the early morning by ATVs.) After thinking about all of this, I realized I couldn’t finish the show in a timely manner for those who hauled a long way from home, and I certainly didn’t want them to go home with torn up racecars.

Here is the breakdown of the actual payout:

Modified A-Main Qualifiers:12 cars @$1000

Limited A-Main Qualifiers: 12 cars @$200

Modified First Non-Qualifiers: 2 @$500

Modified Second Non-Qualifiers: 2 @$400

Modified Third Non-Qualifiers: 2 @$300

Remaining Modified Drivers: 86 @$200

Remaining Limited Drivers: 60 @$100

All in all I want to apologize for all the confusion, but I did what I thought was fair for everyone. I know that as a track owner, you shouldn’t say one thing, and do another, but I had to do what I thought was right, and fair for all the racers. I would like to personally thank all the race fans and especially the racers and their families for supporting the December Nationals down here every year. It is very special to all of us.

Johnny Johnson

Archived