help Stock vs Crate

8_Hobby

Ok i run at HMP in the hobby stock class. Will we can run the crate engines with a 6200 RPM chip or a stock engines with a 400 lift cam and go a bout 5600 RPM and about 70 last HP then the crate engines. so i thank we such get to build a engines to run with the crate engines. they are making it ho have more $$$ wins. tell me what you thank? :(

Richard, you are allowed a 300 lift cam messured at the cam. With a 1.5 rocker, it is a 450 lift. Use 1.6 and its 488. My motor has $1800 in it and it is pretty strong. The HP difference is very little. Yes, the crate motor is better, but a non crate can win. As for Money wins. I know a 450 lift motor from Dee Fox costs $4500 and would out power the crate. Since the crate cost $3000, or $1500 used, I think it is a better option. Now, you get a motor out of a wrecked pickup for $100 and put a cam in it, you can't expect it to run as good as a race motor. In a pure stock on dirt, it is one thing, but on asphalt, where we have traction, it does require some horsepower.

nothing the same between a street motor and a race motor. Stock motors come with a 400 lift cam, we run a 450 cam. Yeah, it is a stock class, but there is nothing stock about it. We run 6000 RPM for long periods of time, stock motors run 2500 for long periods. I will be running HMP again this year, hope you do too. We had differences this past year, but it was definately a fun season. Tell Sr. to call me, I have something for him.

we don't know if we are running next year or not. we will know buy the 9Dec. i fond a the 602 crate engine for $1,000 and one for 1,500. we are going to trey get one for me and my dad. and if we do run we are going to have three car out their we are going to get Joe a Bandolero. i was saying have no high $$$ parts in it. I will tell the old man to call you.

Dollar per horse power you CAN'T beat the crate motor. There's no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it. I chose to go with a "rules" motor rather than the crate because I can take that motor anywhere and run, but I spent more on it than you would for a new crate that was my choice. We're in the process of building my brother a car and will more than likely go with a crate. $1500 bucks for race ready motor is hard to beat... I have more than that in parts for my motor and I think I'm making about the same power as a crate...maybe a little more ;) .

Mike Sdao

#03 Hobby Stock

Archived