Romco Recap

HoosierDaddy

Eddie Wallace was on the trailer when I got there, something must have happend during practice.23 cars timed during qualifying. Mark Chrudimsky hit the wall pretty hard in turn 3 during his run ending his night early. Dont know what the problem was, as on his first lap he was running strong. Brandon took fast time with an 18.3 something. Greg Davidson wound up on the pole after the invert with Donnie wilson outside pole. Second row inside was Joe Aramendia with brandon outside. As they took the green and dove into one, G Davidson took the lead as Wilson, Aramendia, and Bendele fell in behind. Wilson pressured Davidson early, but then backed off and looked as if he was just riding and had the better car. The top four stayed the same for the first 25 laps. At this point a big puff of smoke came from Brandon's car and he pulled it in with a flat RR tire and they worked on it for a while. Meanwhile, on the track the first yellow flew for an incident on the frontstretch involving John Meyer and Robert Richardson. Richardson couldn't continue. Back to green with the top three of Davidson, Wilson and Aramendia breaking away from the rest of the pack. At times wilson was all over Davidson, but then would back off for a few laps. Bendele came back out only to have the exact same thing happen again and another flat RR. Cant remember all the cautions, but there weren't many, and there were no major wrecks. The top three was still Davidson, Wilson and Aramendia and remained this way until about ten to go when Aramendia got in the wall coming off two. He was done for the night. As they took the green for the last time it was Davidson, Wilson, Welch, Colt James, and Doug Hooks rounding out the top five. During the last laps, Wilson clearly had the faster car and was all over Davidson but just couldnt get around him and Davidson ended up holding on for the win. The top five at the line I believe were Davidson, Wilson, Welch, James, and hooks. Bendele ended up having a broken panhard bar, which kept causing the flat right rears. It was an ok race, but there's been better romco races at SAS. Only nine cars running at the end. If I'm wrong on any of this please correct me.

Nice recap, Hoosier.

Eddy Wallace crashed hard in practice after Bubba Naumann spun in front of him. Eddy had no where to go. A preliminary look of the car showed the chassis is probably alright; all the right front and rear suspension, as well as the front sheetmetal, airbox, etc was torn up. A bar was bent into the headers, etc. Shame, he was right at the top of the practice sheet before that. Doug Hooks made a generous offer of his back-up car to Eddy.

Howdy Keith,

Yeah, it was a busy weekend, and unfortunately, not very productive.

It started Friday night up at Kyle helping Eddy shake his car down, then Saturday morning I was up at 5:00 to go to work, spent a little while about 60 feet in the air checking a plane out, then a little time finding some stuff we needed at the track. Then you saw all the going's on with David's engine change, and Eddy getting his torn up. The reason I left kinda quick after ROMCO is I had David's hurt motor, and some of Eddy's pieces in the back of my truck, and I took them to Mac's shop in Austin Saturday night. I knew I wouldn't feel like doing it Sunday,(I barely got out of bed!), so I took the stuff up there. Got home at 2:15. and by the time I showered all the racecar off me, It was about 3-3:15.

Great run for you, don't have to listen to John fuss about bent bars and stuff!

Get that gear out of it, and run about a 5.29, (or a 5.49 like Mac would!), and that thing will fly!

Tom

what's up with the ROMCO car count. It really looked bad with track size of SAS. Lots of disparity out there. The lead cars were a full second slower than their qualifying times during the longer green flag runs, running 19.3-19.6. The rest of the field was running high 19's low 20's. Whats up, with all that money they spend you would think they could run faster. Heck the TSRS and MODS didn't drop off that bad in the same amount of laps. I guess when you can't spend as much you work harder on the setup.

Garner,

ROMCO is not due back until October 11.

That is the big San Antonio season ender with a couple other classes.

I think the TSRS and TPS cars share that night.

i taped all 3 feature races saturday night. i must say 96 car and 82 romco cars were the class of the field. i watched the romco race today and noticed how wilson's car would run exactly the same line as the 96 and joe's car pushed. donnie ran the 96 car clean all night and it was some good racing. the tsrs race was good except the people in front of me stood up the whole time so they were kinda in the way of my filming that race. i liked all the racing action and it was over early! good job too all

racecar25,

How did your tape of the mod race come out? Did you get any of the passes back in the field or is it all of the leader? Interested in how much of the #77 coming from 11th to 2nd you got, and is there anyway to get a copy? ------------Sounds like this could become a business!

Archived