Times for ASALM's

HORSEPOWER

Does anyone think there will be faster times for the ASALM's South next weekend? I know the track conditions will dictate the times, but I know there are some tracks where the ASALM's N/S with the different tires, had faster qualifying times than the ASALM's Challenge series. Jake Ryan set the fast time of 18.412 with a bit more horsepower than the others.

What about the USRA SLM's, we had 3 guys in the 18.2's and Brandon had had an 18.061, has this ever happened before?

Yes, if you just consider ROMCO/USRA.

A number of years ago, the "outlaw" super late models were allowed to run wild aerodynamic wedge bodies, over 65% left-side weight, gumball qualifying tires, high-compression 4-bbl motors, super-light weight, big spoiler, rudders. I remember Jimmy Finger with a 17.891 track record for super late models.

I wonder what really happened during Brandon's 'initial' qualifying run. We had both laps between 17.96 and 18.03 on our unofficial stopwatches. But the officials said that no lap times were officially recorded (probably didn't believe their official timer on the transponder..... and maybe thought some other car had been pushed across the start/finish line in the pits??? who knows). They said to run the qualifying laps again, that the transponder didn't work. So we asked to change out the defective transponder. They said no, just go qualify again with a hot motor. It was a miracle that the 'defective' transponder worked the second time! I wonder if they really saw a 17.xxxx and thought "no way".

Archived