End of year race

Mona

Owen,

I was wondering if you are going to have an end of year race that the asphalt guys could come down and do with very little modifications. I don't know where to find your schedule or rules. We enjoyed coming to the asphalt track the past two years, even though things did not always go well for us.

What would it take to switch from asphalt to dirt? I know the driving style is different, but willing to learn fast.

Thanks,

Mona Turner

i did little adjustments to my car. I still have the asphalt setup in the car except i raised the car about a 1in on all the corners and my car is handling pretty good. if you want to see the schedule or the rules go to southtexasspeedway.com this is the tracks website. hope yall are able to come and run with use.

Mona, I went to CC one night, not knowing they were cancelled due to rain. Turned around and went straight to the dirt track with the car with the asphalt street tires CC runs and asphalt setup, loosened up the sway bar, and finished 3rd. All you need to do is put some dirt tires on the car, maybe loosen the sway bar and the car up a bit, maybe not.

Okay, I will show my ignorance to dirt track racing. I have never even seen one. What about gears? What class would a SAS roadrunner be classified as? What class would a SAS sportsman be classified as?

Don't know if we can make a Friday race though. We are raising my 14 year old nephew and school comes first. I won't take him out of school to come down. I need to go to STS website to see the schedule.

Thanks for the replies,

Mona Turner

Okay, I read the rules for the street class. One more question, what about the disk brakes on the rear? Will they need to be changed back to drums?

I see that you run a 500 carb and heads are 2.02 and 1.6. I'm not sure of the disadvantage we would have. I'm not an expert on the motor stuff and horse power.

As my husband asks me, What do you do, just get in and go? Do you ever put gas in your car yourself?

I'm sure we will come down to watch anyway. If anyone has a car that they need a driver for, I will be willing to drive. I promise to check the oil and gas.

Mona, the roadrunner would run in the pure stocks and I am sure you would have a blast, just try it and you will find like everyone else it is fun. Racing is racing, that is the bottom line if you love the sport it does not matter what is on the surface. (Sorry typical promoter comments) Anyway the sportsman would run with the street stocks, the Race is November 11th, it is Saturday only and should be a great time, load up and give it a try, tell Tator to load that rocketship and come give it a try as well.

Thanks for the interest hope to see you in November.

Owen

So you still want to run your race going against the TEXAS Grand... guess you just have two many cars.... cause if you keep that weekend I know of 5 cars you will lose. I would like to come run this race but the grand has been the same weekend for years (and does pay ALOT better) but cant if you run over their date, I personally like to see tracks work with each other not compete....AJ

I believe it is the Houston Raceway Park track.I don't recall that many or even any Houston cars racing at STS at all this year,so I don't think you can say we are going to lose five cars but if you chose to come down we would gain five more cars.We would like to see the Houston cars come on down and race,but at the same time STS has had a great car count in all classes all season long.

there seems to be some lack of thought when someone post,NOT ANY HOUSTON CARS.put more thought in that.the edna cars were what,about 6?that will go to the grand.when i say 6,that was in pures only.then a few regulars that do go to the grand.because they have known about it for years.they are the dirt racers.look at the past car count for this race.about 40 pures show up for this race.the sports mods show up in big number along with the mods.i am not saying OWEN should change his date,i am just saying A.J.is right in saying it will hurt STS car count.because the GRAND is an AWESOME show. frank t

The Texas Grand is a race that has been going on for over 10 years now. It is always the second weekend in November. The pay in all classes for less than 50 cars is $1000 to win, $900 2nd, $800 3rd, $700 4th, $600 5th, $500 6th, $400 7th, $300 8th $200 9th and $150 the rest of the way back. If a class gets 50 cars or more, it is $2000 to win. The year AJ won the bombers, they had 48 cars. I believe for the last 2 years the limiteds have pulled in over 50 cars(and that wasn't the only class to do it). Now, STS might get a decent car count in all classes, but I bet it's nothing like that. All we were saying was that if they put it on a different weekend, they had more of a chance of pulling in more cars.

For anyone interested in information on the Texas Grand, Click Here

Brenda Dancer

I am not trying to compete with the Texas Grand or hurt the Texas Grand, I am trying to support my local drivers and give them an opprotunity to race once a year for some good money. I really have no other weekend to run my race or I would do it, the week before won't change much because everyone will be getting ready for the Texas Grand, the week after is to close to the Turkey Shootout for me and my focus will be making the Turkey Shootout a big success. Dancer and Mr Torres both of you will still have an opprotunity to race the 1000 to win event at the Turkey Shootout for the purestocks if you choose, Good luck where ever any of you choose to race it is about having fun and we plan to do just that.

Thanks Again.

Owen

I was actually looking for a chance to run my super stock there, but the grand pays better and is kind of a ritual. Just might come back for the pure stock race. I understand your point about the date, just too bad.... I figure there will be about 35-40 super stocks at the grand...a few from edna, and the rest from there....just saying you took any chance of them coming to your show away. Maybe next year you could work out the dates better. I just hope you get your payout issue under control.

Archived