Longhorn Speedway

Mikey

Demolish it? I loved going to Longhorn every weekend, and would still go every week, if it were open. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing a new HEB or anything other than a racetrack there would just put a big blow in Racing. It was "The Track" for the longest time, and I know it isn't now, but it would be nice if someone who knew how to run something like a racetrack or actually had the funds would step up before something like demolishing comes into effect.

-Tim

ok ill try to explain what happened. the "new owner" was actually going to lease the track. turns out that the power company would not turn him on because the electrical had to be updated first. they would not let him use the "grandfather clause" on the electrical. this would be a big cost to him and he couldn't see spending several thousand$$$$'s to upgrade it because he was just going to lease and not own. this is from what i believe to be a reliable source.

Lonestar,

As an update...let's just say, the track will NOT open under the current regime.

And yes, Randy Lee, you heard right--the Millers were going to lease the track out. The "reports" about buying the land were untrue.

Lonestar,

You're so right...ghosts that haunt Longhorn Speedway, which is a shame considering what that track once meant to auto racing in both this area and in Texas...

And...just throw this on the "pile of nightmares" in Texas local track racing history... :(

The rumor that HEB is going to build on the Longhorn Speedway site has been going around for at least 20 years that I know of. Here's a couple of reasons why that probably will not happen:

1) The soil is an environmental mess. It would cost the new owners a pile to clean all the hydrocarbons out of there

2) The neighborhood around that site has changed very little over the past 25 years. Demographics play a big role when a business looks at new retail sites. If the demorgraphics weren't favorable 20 years ago and nothing's really changed in the immediate area (except the Air Force vacated the nearby base) then it is not likely that any bigbox retail outfit is going to find that site particularly desirable.

On the other hand, the site is ideal for a racertrack. I'm still hoping someone with deep pockets and a huge love for racing buys the place and hires me to run it for him/her.

Nick Holt

• 2 weeks later...

How many times has Longhorn been bought/sold to reopen? Just curious. I spent many weekends there working and watching the races. It would be nice if someone could open it back up and continue the legacy.

:rolleyes:

Stacy Tiemann

TSRS Director of Scoring

it depends on what you mean "sold" The land that the track sits on has never been sold. Now different peope have taken over the lease in the past few years. Alvin Stewart had it for most of the 80's and ealry 90's. After THR opened Sam Hill took over the lease and struggled for about half the season. A couple of years later the Chambers Brother took over the lease and then it couldn't make it again. Then Mr Miller claimed that he bought the property but most know that story. I think that the biggest problem with Longhorn is that it is going to cost so much money to get the track itself to pass new code inspections that no one wants to put up that kind of money on a track that they will not own. I'm not sure the cost but I seems that it is not worth it to most. Lottery or not I would like to try some day.

Archived