Smith grabs TSRS win at TWS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 9, 2006

Smith grabs first-ever TSRS win at historic Texas race track

The Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) Late Model series, in just its fourth year of existence, has certainly stepped up to become the launching pad for Texas drivers – of all ages – to make the jump to the next level.

And the youngsters of the TSRS Late Models are proving their mettle. First, 15-year-old Kyle Sirizzotti of Helotes registered his first win in just his fourth series start back on June 24.

This past Sunday (Aug. 6), the leader for the 2006 Rookie of the Year Award – 16-year-old Cody Smith of La Vernia – grabbed his first series win at one of the most prestigious tracks in history.

Smith piloted his Chevy Monte Carlo to Victory Lane at the 2.9-mile road course at Texas World Speedway in College Station (TX), the two-mile track where such illustrious racing names like A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and Johnny Rutherford have claimed victory back in the 1970s and 80s, when the heyday of the track’s existence.

“This is awesome,” an elated Smith said Sunday after his win. “To pick up my first-ever win the this series – and especially at the road course on such an historic track – is tremendous. Our crew worked really hard all weekend, especially when we broke the spring bucket on the front of the car.”

Smith added, “I’d like to thank our teammate, Jesse Salazar, and the Salazar Racing Team of San Antonio for their help and for his support on the track. Our race team would definitely like to express our appreciation to our sponsors – RTM Construction, Oval Components, Salazar Racing and Long’s Racing Engines.”

Smith started on the outside of Row 3 for the 10-lap race, which started at 2:30 p.m Central time after a rain delay. The rain played a big part in the early stages of the race as Sirizzotti (the pole sitter), defending champ Chris Schild and Tommy Gural – all who started in front of Smith - spun out and had car troubles on the first lap.

That allowed Salazar (who started third), Smith and John Hiel (who started second) to move out in front – in that order - after Lap 1. By Lap 3, Salazar and Smith, along with Ian Webster (Spring, TX) and rookie Bill Hamilton (Red Oak, TX) had opened up a gap between themselves and the rest of the field.

Smith drove a consistent race and stayed right behind Salazar until he saw an opening right after the two completed Lap 8. “I felt like I could pass Jesse and I was looking for an opening,” Smith stated. “I knew I’d get by him sometime and found the break I was looking for.” Smith took the lead and led the last two laps on his way to his first-ever TSRS win.

Team owner Tom Smith was understandably proud. “We came into the day (Sunday) hoping to finish well,” he declared. “This track is tough on these cars. Anyone had a chance to win here today; luck was definitely on our side. We felt starting in the third row was good for us; there was less pressure on us while we tried to figure out the right line and right way to drive the track.”

He added, “Besides our sponsors, I’d like to thank my wife Barbara; our son Jeff and his wife Kirsten; and, the crew – Jeff Smith, John Salazar, Jesse Salazar, Adam Salazar and the entire Salazar Racing Team. They were very helpful to us this weekend.”

The win put Smith – who has 966 total points - just 33 points behind Gural for the overall points lead. Chris Schild (950 points), Kyle Sirizzotti (927) and Teresa Gural (846) round out the top five headed into the Aug. 19 race at Houston Motorsports Park.

- 30 -

Archived