Casey Smith on the MZone this Saturday

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - July 28, 2006

Casey Smith Ready for Fan’s Questions - Smith to appear in The Motorsports Zone this Saturday

AUSTIN, TX ‑ Casey Smith is ready to take calls from his fans and to clear up any misconceptions from the media about post-race altercations after Friday night’s Blizzard Series race event (the third of the 2006 season) at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Fla.

Smith has become a regular at the quick ½-mile oval since his first visit there at the age of 14, and he registered his first win at the track in the same year. The 21-year-old Austin (TX) native always enjoys the stiff competition that Five Flags attracts on Friday night and he’s been itching for his next win.

After leading late in the Blizzard series event at Five Flags Speedway last Friday night, Smith hit the wall hard after being pinched on the restart with only five laps to go. He limped home with an 18th place finish and a torn-up race car. Emotions took over and Smith’s team showed dissatisfaction for the driving of the eventual race winner - who caused the crash and ended a good run for Smith.

Less than 24 hours later, the team traveled 60 miles east on I-10 to Mobile International Speedway. Smith rebounded well and qualified ninth in a back-up car for the Miller Lite 100 event at MIS. Smith was ready to redeem himself until the threat of rain caused officials to cancel the Saturday night event (the race has since been rescheduled for Aug. 12, 2006).

This past Tuesday night back at the race shop in Austin, the Bowie High School graduate was trying to shake off what could be labeled as a frustrating weekend and looked ahead to his next race.

“My car is sitting in pieces on the shop floor, but the backup car is ready for San Antonio (Speedway on Aug. 5),” Smith remarked. “The USRA (United States Racing Association) is running the second half of the Texas Two-Step that night. I’m going to try and test next week at San Antonio Speedway. We still have a few things to do to the backup car to get it totally ready for SAS.”

As for the car that was wrecked Friday night at Five Flags, Smith revealed, “We’re going to build a new car and use most of the parts from the old car. It just wasn’t worth fixing the (wrecked) car; we’re better off getting a new frame - which we’ve ordered - and putting a new one on the track.”

Smith is looking forward to talking to race fans on Saturday morning, 10-11 a.m. Central, as he’ll join host Chuck Licata for The Motorsports Zone radio show (KVET-AM 1300, Austin).

“I’m looking forward to having folks call in to the show,” Smith declared. “It seems like everyone has questions about what happened Friday night at Pensacola. There seems to be a lot of rumors floating around, especially on the message boards on some racing web sites. If anyone really wants to know what happened then I encourage them to get it straight from the horse’s mouth and call in and ask me about it - personally.”

Smith added, “I make no apologies for what I did and I’m not going to discuss the details over the Internet. Saturday’s show is a great way for anyone who has any questions to talk to me about it. It seems like a lot of people have opinions on the subject; hopefully they’ll come out from behind the keyboard and pick up the phone and call!”

The show can be heard in Central Texas on AM 1300, and online at www.am1300thezone.com. Listeners can call in and talk to Smith by calling (512) 390-LIVE (390-5483). Listeners can also interact with Smith and Licata by joining the chat room at www.txracing.com.

Smith, who usually joins the show in-studio on a monthly basis, stated, “It’s been a few months since I’ve been on the show. I really enjoy my time in the studio. It’s fun to be behind the microphone and talk with callers and Chuck (Licata) about racing. It also takes my mind off the rigors of racing and brings up the fun part of racing.”

Information about the Smith Racing Team, the #99 Buchanan Homes/Rapid Disposal Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Casey himself can be found at his web site, www.caseysmithracing.com.

-30 –

Archived