I-37 Speedway Recap, 7/21/06

NickHolt

The roar of racing returned to I-37 Speedway on Friday following almost a month of inactivity due to weather cancellations. Over 50 drivers towed their race cars to the track for an evening of “slam-bang” racing action on the quarter-mile dirt oval.

Highlighting this weeks racing excitement was the Super Stock feature event which saw three previous winners meet in a “head to head” shootout for the first time this season. When the dust settled and the checkered flag waved Seguin’s Patrick Kelly was at the front of the pack, having taken over the lead on lap thirteen. Following an earlier race accident that threatened his ability to continue, Somerset’s Howie Marcx, took home the runner-up spot. Poteet’s Abe Mares Jr. rounded out the top three finishers.

In Pure Stock feature action on lap eight the red flag brought things to a halt when San Antonio’s Mike Sergeant managed to put his Ford over the fence. The driver was unhurt suffering only a mild case of adrenaline poisoning. On lap four Poteet’s Abe Mares IV took the lead and held onto it until the checker flag flew. His only real challenge came from Pleasanton’s Devin Adler who retired to the Pit Area on lap eighteen. MK Wallace of Converse held on for a second place finish ahead of Elmendorf’s Richard Hearn.

Fourteen cars took the green for the IMCA Modified feature with only 10 remaining when the final lap was run. Winning the crash filled event was Chuck Perry from Corpus Christi. Perry battled his way to front on lap seven taking the lead away from Steve Grantz racing out of Aransas Pass. Grantz crossed the finish line in second spot followed by Corpus Christi driver Dale Flanagan. On Lap six of the Modified main event the red flag flew for the second time. This time it was Bandera’s George Fink who balanced his car on top the turn three wall and had to be removed by the track wrecker crew.

The Texas Outlaw Modified Division was the “Shaw Show” from Elmendorf, with Brian Shaw making it to Victory Lane ahead of his father Larry Shaw. Rounding out the top three was San Antonio’s Chris Snocker.

The next event at the I-37 dirt oval is scheduled for Friday August 4th.

Archived