Final Gear

Purestock3

5.43 FINAL huh..?

Dang....thats a tall gear

I'm at 6.45 looking to go lower

I need about a 6.60, but I don't have that option w/the (auto)tranny I've got.

Unless I run second gear 1.52 w/4.33 rear = 6.58

Anyone else running a 6.88-6.90 FINAL gear???????

And making it Stick?????

This thread has been pretty interesting. Looks like guys are running anywhere from 5.29 to 6.90 at STS and doing well in the entire spectrum. I know the mods might use a little less than a heavier street stock, but that's a pretty big range.

690 in a street stock?must have a good lower end.i knew some pure stocks were turning tight.but how can a pure be pure and turn 7000 week in and out.wrist pins and stock pistons just wont take that.not stock stuff.....in the #67 we run 538 final.does not turn alot of rpm,but has no wheel spin.i can see where a less compression motor in the s.s. could use more gear to help get it off the corner.in the sport mod we used a 620 total.some are going to the 600 range and seem to be going faster.its all what the heads and cam will allow it to do.frank t.

does anyone know what bill #13 is running or is that top secret ( lol ) railer #27 haw come on bill tell us your secret we cant catch you anyway lol

Thats kinda what I was aiming for when I started this thread. So.....hey Bill......whats your final gear?

Bill is running a 1.68 second gear and a 4.11 rear gear. The only thing he has done is change his driving style on turn entry to get more bite off the corner. This dropped the amount of rpm's he was turning down the straights. We broke a tranny last week replaced it with another 1.68 we got from Chuck Perry this week.

6.90 seems to be the gear of choice at CC speedway.  Is there really that much difference needed just because the track is dirt?

In Purestocks we ran big street tires at CC

The G-60's we run now at STS lowered our actual final gear quite a bit. 6.45-6.50 seems to be the gear of choice right now.

The other thing to consider is the horsepower difference. Headers, cam, rockers, and intake make more power, therefore they can pull a taller gear. That is why the modifieds are running such a tall gear. high hp, low weight, good corner speed=good strait-line speed.

Archived